• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys signed Melton

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the next move may just be Spencer. We still are thin at DE even if you put Crawford there.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ian Rapoport "Terms for Henry Melton’s #Cowboys deal: 1st year, $5M. If he’s on roster Day 1 of ’15, 3 years kick at $8M per year, $9M guaranteed for ‘15"

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is starting to look a little more like I thought than just a no guaranteed money first year at $955K. But, it looks like it is still that if he isn't helathy. I still love this deal (as of 9:19am). The "up to" for 2014 is key, Manster. The extension means nothing as it is our decision. It could be for $100M per year for 2015-2017 for all I care.

Melton can earn up to $5 million in 2014, Woy said. If Melton is on the Cowboys’ roster the first day of the NFL’s league year next March, a source said, he will get a three-year extension that would average $8 million per season and include $9 million guaranteed in 2015.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is starting to look a little more like I thought than just a no guaranteed money first year at $955K. But, it looks like it is still that if he isn't helathy. I still love this deal (as of 9:19am). The "up to" for 2014 is key, Manster. The extension means nothing as it is our decision. It could be for $100M per year for 2015-2017 for all I care.

Melton can earn up to $5 million in 2014, Woy said. If Melton is on the Cowboys’ roster the first day of the NFL’s league year next March, a source said, he will get a three-year extension that would average $8 million per season and include $9 million guaranteed in 2015.

:suds:

last night I said most would bitch, but with that deal, the bitching should be a little less.

Jerry & company actual did pretty darn good here under the circumstances.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is basically the same contract Hatcher got IF the Cowboys pick up the team option, & get this Melton still will not be as old as Hatcher is right now when he finish his contract....

#Jerry DONE GOOD :suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding me? At those $'s? I know you didn't want the guy, but you need to reevaluate your opinion if that really is the contract he signed. He could play half a season and it would be a great deal for us. Look at our DL right now without him and don't assume whomever we pick in the draft is definitely going to be good year one because there are no guarantees. IMO this is one of the better deals we have ever given to any well known FA if you take into account our cap problem, our DL problem, his knowledge of the defense, the fact that Marinelli obviously OK'd it and the contract details. I think even if we extend him it is still way below the $ amount I expected to see. I'm kind of shocked you think this was a bad move...

If true, he got less (if we don't extend him) than Mincey and McClain and I'm not 100% sure both of them make the final roster if we spend a couple of early picks at DL.

I'm willing to re-evaluate as the actual numbers come out. Last night I heard it reported as a 1 year for $5M and then 3 option years at $8M per. If it is an incentive deal with the base less than $1M and then bonuses for playing time, then I like the deal a lot more. If it was just a 1/$5M regardless of playing time, and all the questions about his desire to play as well as inuries then it's a bad deal.

I'll let the details come out before I say this is a terrible deal.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is basically the same contract Hatcher got IF the Cowboys pick up the team option, & get this Melton still will not be as old as Hatcher is right now when he finish his contract....

#Jerry DONE GOOD :suds:

I didn't compare them that closely, but the IF is just a HUGE difference. We still don't really know the specifics, but from what we are assuming: if both Hatcher and Melton get injured tomorrow and never play a down in the NFL again, Melton costs us $955K...what does Hatcher cost the Skins?

Add in the fact that it is basically a club option for the next 3 years and this deal is nothing like Hatchers UNLESS he is healthy, excels and the entire contract kicks in...

The club option also allows us to take a guy like Donald if we so choose and re-evaluate the sitution after the season. If we draft a 3 tech, even if Melton is everything we hoped for we could still decide his $'s are better spent elsewhere going forward.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to re-evaluate as the actual numbers come out. Last night I heard it reported as a 1 year for $5M and then 3 option years at $8M per. If it is an incentive deal with the base less than $1M and then bonuses for playing time, then I like the deal a lot more. If it was just a 1/$5M regardless of playing time, and all the questions about his desire to play as well as inuries then it's a bad deal.

I'll let the details come out before I say this is a terrible deal.

When has his desire to play been questioned? Also off topic is there a reason I can no longer start threads, it has been that way for a while now, & was never given a reason why...:noidea:

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't compare them that closely, but the IF is just a HUGE difference. We still don't really know the specifics, but from what we are assuming: if both Hatcher and Melton get injured tomorrow and never play a down in the NFL again, Melton costs us $955K...what does Hatcher cost the Skins?

Add in the fact that it is basically a club option for the next 3 years and this deal is nothing like Hatchers UNLESS he is healthy, excels and the entire contract kicks in...

The club option also allows us to take a guy like Donald if we so choose and re-evaluate the sitution after the season. If we draft a 3 tech, even if Melton is everything we hoped for we could still decide his $'s are better spent elsewhere going forward.

I was talking more money wise of the overall contract if they both were to finish them.....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

last night I said most would bitch, but with that deal, the bitching should be a little less.

Jerry & company actual did pretty darn good here under the circumstances.

I don't mind people disagreeing with contracts normally because I think the $'s you sign a player for are as important as the player you sign. For example Melton at $3M is a good signing, but Melton at $12M isn't IMO. WEeden is a great example. If we gave him an Orton type contract I'd be pissed, but the contract we signed him for was great. We could cut him tomorrow and owe him nothing.

But, I do agree with you on this one which is why I was so surprised to see Ford unhappy with it.

I'm going to give Jerry the thumbs up so far with these FAs. I don't know enough about the other two DL to really judge, but at those $'s if the scouts and coaches like them, who am I to disagree.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move,especially if he returns to what he was before the knee injury. I still take donald though. I think having two pass rushers in the middle on passing downs would cover up the lack of talent at the ends. Its easier for an offense to account for an end than it is for them to deal with pressure up the middle. I trade up with the rams to make sure we get donald. QBs are less effective when the pocket collapses right in their faces. I then draft Martin in round 2

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move,especially if he returns to what he was before the knee injury. I still take donald though. I think having two pass rushers in the middle on passing downs would cover up the lack of talent at the ends. Its easier for an offense to account for an end than it is for them to deal with pressure up the middle. I trade up with the rams to make sure we get donald. QBs are less effective when the pocket collapses right in their faces. I then draft Martin in round 2

I have no problem with us still taking a pass rusher or two, but I wouldn't trade up to do it.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract is worth $955,000 with no money none guaranteed.
don't know about what guarantees he gets if they pick up the option.

I dont know where you got those numbers .... but they are wrong ..... wayyyyyyy wrong

1 year $5,000,000 all base salary .... no guarantees no bonuses

If he's on the roster the 1st league day of 2015, a 3 year $24M extension with $9M guaranteed

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has his desire to play been questioned? Also off topic is there a reason I can no longer start threads, it has been that way for a while now, & was never given a reason why...:noidea:

There was an article about the Bears GM questioning if Melton still had the desire to play football, or something like that. I'll have to dig, all searches for it just point back to his signing with Dallas right now.

I'll ask about the starting new threads thing. I have no idea.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know where you got those numbers .... but they are wrong ..... wayyyyyyy wrong

1 year $5,000,000 all base salary .... no guarantees no bonuses

If he's on the roster the 1st league day of 2015, a 3 year $24M extension with $9M guaranteed

I'm still waiting to see the numbers come from a league report. I ahve seen a lot of comments about the "up to $5M" also. Could be everyone going off one person's comment, who knows. If it is a full $5M regardless of if he even sees the field, then the deal doesn't look like a good one for us. If it is incentive laden, it is a great deal.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting to see the numbers come from a league report. I ahve seen a lot of comments about the "up to $5M" also. Could be everyone going off one person's comment, who knows. If it is a full $5M regardless of if he even sees the field, then the deal doesn't look like a good one for us. If it is incentive laden, it is a great deal.

There ya go Ford

Henry Melton Salary Cap, Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & News Profile

andwhen its all base salary .... its game checks .... week to week. Hell a contract like that if we hit a gem in the draft he may not even be on the roster week one

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article about the Bears GM questioning if Melton still had the desire to play football, or something like that. I'll have to dig, all searches for it just point back to his signing with Dallas right now.

I'll ask about the starting new threads thing. I have no idea.

Appreciate it, I would have sent you a private message about this, but of course I don't have access to that either :L

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate it, I would have sent you a private message about this, but of course I don't have access to that either :L

Fordman put you on double secret probation...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXEQ8hjyGI]Double-Secret Probation - YouTube[/ame]