• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys Sign LSU OT La'el Collins

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radio guys were talking about how getting three 2st round talents means we could spare a 1st next year for Peterson. Plus all the comp picks, and we could do without a 1st for one year.

My thought...I'd rather call Chicago and see what they want for Forte. :hope:

1 year at $7M left over, will be 30 next year, Bears would seriously consider a early draft pick for him.
Forte was a heck of a back, but I would rather see what Randle and Williams can do behind McFadden than give away a 1st for a 30 year old back, be it Forte or AP. The Cowboys might be in position next year to use that 1st on a QB

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forte was a heck of a back, but I would rather see what Randle and Williams can do behind McFadden than give away a 1st for a 30 year old back, be it Forte or AP. The Cowboys might be in position next year to use that 1st on a QB

Agree. With a salary Cap you can't have the best players at every position. This team is still building for the long run. Even Witten is replaceable even if it comes with a drop off in talent. We have one long term issue and that is Romo. I'm not selling our bright future to bring in a 30 year old RB that could help us this year and maybe next and then hurt us every other year. Look how young some of our better players are. This could be good for a long time if we find another good QB to succeed Romo.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine it's no sure thing where Collins plays as of today. I know everyone is assuming LG but if he ends up at Tackle and we cut MB who is our backup Guard? I guess TC will sort things out.

Personally I like Leary a lot and think he is better than Free going forward. I'm putting Collins at OT and letting him Free and the draft picks fight it out. Best case scenario is Collins wins the RT job.

I have to disagree here. Leary is little better than average, and Free is looked at as the leader of the O-line. Leary is on a one year deal, and Free just signed a 3 year extension. Leary is not looked at as a long term fit for the O-line due to his knee condition. I don't see any scenario (outside of injury) where Collins is the RT this year. Free would have to be a colossal failure this year for Collins to take his spot.

Also, I don't think MacB is cut, either. He is the team's back up Center if I am not mistaken.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big Leary fan. One year deal because we could and because of his status and years of service. I haven't heard the knee spoken of since we signed him and if you are worried about the long term how can you say Free is the guy? I think Leary has been completely overlooked for reasons other than his play on the field.

Free has been hot and cold like no other OL I can remember. After the two worst seasons of any OL to not lose his job that I remember he started out 2013 like a Pro Bowler. At the half way point and even still at the 3/4's point he was fantastic, but then for some reason played poorly down the stretch. Then last year he was playing well, but got hurt again and was outplayed by his backup IMO. I think he also had an off-season surgery. At his age (and remember we are talking about going forward, not backwards) I don't have as much confidence in him as you do and remember there is a decent chance this is his last year anyway. Is it better to keep Leary getting better or sit him and then start him again next year? He is welcome to still be a leader as a swing Tackle. Was he a leader down the stretch when we needed him most and he was hurt? Would be the same thing...

Bottom line to me is you put Collins where he best fits and you worry about everyone else afterwards. If he truly is a top 15 talent you don't let Free or Leary decide where he plays.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the press conference to introduce Collins. What a likable kid. Glad he's a Cowboy

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big Leary fan. One year deal because we could and because of his status and years of service. I haven't heard the knee spoken of since we signed him and if you are worried about the long term how can you say Free is the guy? I think Leary has been completely overlooked for reasons other than his play on the field.

Free has been hot and cold like no other OL I can remember. After the two worst seasons of any OL to not lose his job that I remember he started out 2013 like a Pro Bowler. At the half way point and even still at the 3/4's point he was fantastic, but then for some reason played poorly down the stretch. Then last year he was playing well, but got hurt again and was outplayed by his backup IMO. I think he also had an off-season surgery. At his age (and remember we are talking about going forward, not backwards) I don't have as much confidence in him as you do and remember there is a decent chance this is his last year anyway. Is it better to keep Leary getting better or sit him and then start him again next year? He is welcome to still be a leader as a swing Tackle. Was he a leader down the stretch when we needed him most and he was hurt? Would be the same thing...

Bottom line to me is you put Collins where he best fits and you worry about everyone else afterwards. If he truly is a top 15 talent you don't let Free or Leary decide where he plays.

Based on what I saw last year, Leary was the weak link in the line. If there was a penetration it was usually Leary who was beat, more often than the others. I don't have the numbers, but it also seemed like Leary was the most penalized member of the O-line. I also don't agree with Parnell playing better than Free. The running game was better when Free was playing as opposed to Parnell. I'm not discounting what Parnell did last year, he was very good in a back up role. Collins may end up being the RT, but I highly doubt it will be this year.

And who is to say that Collins doesn't stay at LG, and Chaz Green takes over RT next year. This team is all of a sudden pretty deep at the T position.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I saw last year, Leary was the weak link in the line. If there was a penetration it was usually Leary who was beat, more often than the others. I don't have the numbers, but it also seemed like Leary was the most penalized member of the O-line. I also don't agree with Parnell playing better than Free. The running game was better when Free was playing as opposed to Parnell. I'm not discounting what Parnell did last year, he was very good in a back up role. Collins may end up being the RT, but I highly doubt it will be this year.

And who is to say that Collins doesn't stay at LG, and Chaz Green takes over RT next year. This team is all of a sudden pretty deep at the T position.
I think Collins will start at guard this year. Most of the scouting reports I have read say that Collins could be a very good tackle, but could be a great guard. IMO, next year when Free is gone, Leary and Collins will be the starting guards and Martin will be the RT

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Collins will start at guard this year. Most of the scouting reports I have read say that Collins could be a very good tackle, but could be a great guard. IMO, next year when Free is gone, Leary and Collins will be the starting guards and Martin will be the RT

I thought that Martin may eventually move to RT also. But I'm not so sure now. If you listen to Cowboys management talk about Martin, they seem to think he is so dominant at G that it could be counter productive to move him from that spot. If you listen to the Cowboys tell it, Martin may be a H.O.F. as a G.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony, stay healthy Tony...

And then some

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all get beat from time to time...even the all pro rookie guards. I look forward to watching the development.

I expect a player for player type trade of an oline guy by mid august. Nice problem to have

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all get beat from time to time...even the all pro rookie guards. I look forward to watching the development.

I expect a player for player type trade of an oline guy by mid august. Nice problem to have
Matt Kalil has been struggling for the Vikings. Maybe they would take Doug Free for AP:kidding:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it was just radio guys spitballing but a team in desperate need of offensive line help like the Dolphins, give them a call. A guy like Lamar Miller (not that they would deal him), is the type of guy we should look for. An above average guy that's not great.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Radio guys were talking about how getting three 2st round talents means we could spare a 1st next year for Peterson. Plus all the comp picks, and we could do without a 1st for one year.

My thought...I'd rather call Chicago and see what they want for Forte. :hope:

1 year at $7M left over, will be 30 next year, Bears would seriously consider a early draft pick for him.

Jones open to trading a first-round pick for Adrian Peterson?

"The Adrian Peterson to the Dallas Cowboys dream appears to still be alive.

Owner/GM Jerry Jones went on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Friday to discuss the signing of coveted UDFA La'el Collins, amongst other things. With the addition of Collins, the Cowboys essentially obtained three first-round picks from the 2015 NFL Draft.

With what's basically house money, could the Cowboys trade away next year's first-round pick for a veteran who could help the team win now?"

"I'd be reluctant to," Jones said on trading the 2016 first-round pick away, "but certainly if the right situation came along that could improve us now with where we are with (Tony) Romo and his career and where we are with what we put together, it's a good time to go for it."

Interesting. First time Jerry has ever really spoke on this subject. Guess it all comes down to whether the Vikes want a 1st round pick next year (moving into their new stadium and will help soften the PR blow from losing AP imo), or they truly believe this is all just about more guaranteed money from them, and that AP will DEFINITELY fold on his trade request...eventually. Must say, if AP is serious about wanting a change of scenery, there is definitely no other team out there that can possibly full-fill his dream of returning home and putting up sick numbers the way this team is already built to help him do that. Arizona, the other mostly likely or possible trade destination, if the Vikes finally do decide to trade AP, and "IF" he has made it clear to them that he would hold out if not traded by camp, has just used the 86th overall pick on a RB in the past draft. So would they now be willing to give up a 1st rounder next year? I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Maybe there was a reason after all, why Jerry didn't take a RB in this draft after EVERYONE under the sun expected them to?? Could Jerry also just be using the media here to float that concept out there?? Who really knows.

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it was just radio guys spitballing but a team in desperate need of offensive line help like the Dolphins, give them a call. A guy like Lamar Miller (not that they would deal him), is the type of guy we should look for. An above average guy that's not great.

I'm just not as sure of that now as you guys are here.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this, but I think the timeline for trading will be longer. I expect to roll with what we have this year and see if there is a midseason trade we can make with our OL depth or move a younger guy before the draft next year. With all the comp picks we will have, we may have the firepower next year to bundle a package of 2016 picks with a good young OL player and move up high enough in the draft to get our future QB. :hope:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually prefer Miller over Johnson. I think the RB snaps on 3rd and 15 remains the bigger concern over who can run through a blocked hole

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The Adrian Peterson to the Dallas Cowboys dream appears to still be alive.

Owner/GM Jerry Jones went on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Friday to discuss the signing of coveted UDFA La'el Collins, amongst other things. With the addition of Collins, the Cowboys essentially obtained three first-round picks from the 2015 NFL Draft.

With what's basically house money, could the Cowboys trade away next year's first-round pick for a veteran who could help the team win now?"

"I'd be reluctant to," Jones said on trading the 2016 first-round pick away, "but certainly if the right situation came along that could improve us now with where we are with (Tony) Romo and his career and where we are with what we put together, it's a good time to go for it."

Interesting. First time Jerry has ever really spoke on this subject. Guess it all comes down to whether the Vikes want a 1st round pick next year (moving into their new stadium and will help soften the PR blow from losing AP imo), or they truly believe this is all just about more guaranteed money from them and will he fold on his trade request...eventually. Must say, if AP is serious about wanting a change of scenery, there is definitely no other team out there that can possibly full-fill his dream of returning home and putting up sick numbers that way this team could. Arizona, they other mostly trade destination if the Vikes do decide to trade AP and "IF" he has made it clear to them that he would hold out if not traded by camp, has just used the 86th overall pick on a RB in the past draft, so would they now be willing to give up a 1st rounder next year? I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Maybe there was a reason after all, why Jerry didn't take a RB in this draft after EVERYONE under the sun expected them to??

IMO, that is what every GM says about their picks. They are reluctant to trade them, but nothing is untouchable. Literally every player in the league is available if the right situation comes up. You call up GB and offer your first rounder for the next 5 years for ARodgers and they probably listen pretty intently. :)

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this, but I think the timeline for trading will be longer. I expect to roll with what we have this year and see if there is a midseason trade we can make with our OL depth or move a younger guy before the draft next year. With all the comp picks we will have, we may have the firepower next year to bundle a package of 2016 picks with a good young OL player and move up high enough in the draft to get our future QB. :hope:
there certainly is reason for optimism.
I still don't see Dallas adding a salary like AP

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there certainly is reason for optimism.
I still don't see Dallas adding a salary like AP

I'm not sure they can add a high dollar contract without first enacting some cost saving moves. Restructuring Brandon Carr's contract and signing Dez long term are about the only ways I can see Dallas being able to create enough space to do so. Neither of those things seems likely at this time.