• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys Sign LSU OT La'el Collins

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jones open to trading a first-round pick for Adrian Peterson?

Jones open to trading a first-round pick for Adrian Peterson?

"The Adrian Peterson to the Dallas Cowboys dream appears to still be alive.

Owner/GM Jerry Jones went on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Friday to discuss the signing of coveted UDFA La'el Collins, amongst other things. With the addition of Collins, the Cowboys essentially obtained three first-round picks from the 2015 NFL Draft.

With what's basically house money, could the Cowboys trade away next year's first-round pick for a veteran who could help the team win now?"

"I'd be reluctant to," Jones said on trading the 2016 first-round pick away, "but certainly if the right situation came along that could improve us now with where we are with (Tony) Romo and his career and where we are with what we put together, it's a good time to go for it."

Interesting. First time Jerry has ever really spoke on this subject. Guess it all comes down to whether the Vikes want a 1st round pick next year (moving into their new stadium and will help soften the PR blow from losing AP imo), or they truly believe this is all just about more guaranteed money from them, and that AP will DEFINITELY fold on his trade request...eventually. Must say, if AP is serious about wanting a change of scenery, there is definitely no other team out there that can possibly full-fill his dream of returning home and putting up sick numbers the way this team is already built to help him do that. Arizona, the other mostly likely or possible trade destination, if the Vikes finally do decide to trade AP, and "IF" he has made it clear to them that he would hold out if not traded by camp, has just used the 86th overall pick on a RB in the past draft. So would they now be willing to give up a 1st rounder next year? I think it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Maybe there was a reason after all, why Jerry didn't take a RB in this draft after EVERYONE under the sun expected them to?? Could Jerry also just be using the media here to float that concept out there?? Who really knows.
Jones never said anything about AP in that interview. They gave him a hypothetical situation, to which he said anything is possible, which is the Cowboys company line. He's not coming here, the Cowboys can't afford him, they have a ton of confidence in McFadden(as evidenced by not taking a RB in he draft), and most importantly, the Vikings aren't trading him. He has no choice but to play for them, and with AP in the fold, the Vikings may be a playoff team

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, that is what every GM says about their picks. They are reluctant to trade them, but nothing is untouchable. Literally every player in the league is available if the right situation comes up. You call up GB and offer your first rounder for the next 5 years for ARodgers and they probably listen pretty intently. :)

Or, Jerry could also be just floating that out there just in case AP is serious about holding out? Think about it, this team will probably finish at the bottom of the 1st round again in next year's draft. They just essentially got 3 1st round picks, in and after, this past draft, while addressing some serious team needs. They will have to pay all these guys eventually down the road when, and if, they produce as expected. Romo is 35 yrs old and has maybe another 2-3 year good run left in him, with arguably the best WR and THE best OL and football. What are they really lacking now? To even suggest here now that they could possibly even use a 1st rounder on a QB next year, is simply ludicrous, unless Romo where to have a career ending injury this season, and what are the chances of that seriously happening here?? The missing piece to this puzzle is a stud RB to help maintain team identity. Absolutely everyone says that. Williams was on the practice squad all of last year, Randle may be suspended and is too unreliable, and DMac can't stay healthy an entire season....Dunbar is nothing more than a specialty back.

If there ever was a time for them to give up a 1st rounder, now would be the time.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is...

Jerry frees up $12Mil to restructure Romo now when he didn't REALLY have to, pushing even more Romo dead money forward. They don't draft a RB in this draft after EVERYONE expected them to. Jerry floats out possible vet trade interest today in the media, right after the draft and when most of the RB slots have been already taken and filled in the draft by other teams, creating even less of a demand for AP services in any possible future trade market if the Vikes are indeed eventually inclined to get something for him by camp, which is genius thinking if true, and now Jerry comes out and says that he MAY be open to trading a 1st round pick for the right vet player/and or situation??....duh, what other greater need do they serious have now other than at RB that would require them giving up a 1st round draft pick??

Last edited:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there certainly is reason for optimism.
I still don't see Dallas adding a salary like AP

yup that worries me. salary + age

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that Martin may eventually move to RT also. But I'm not so sure now. If you listen to Cowboys management talk about Martin, they seem to think he is so dominant at G that it could be counter productive to move him from that spot. If you listen to the Cowboys tell it, Martin may be a H.O.F. as a G.

Agree with this. I felt the second we drafted Martin it was to start him at Guard and move him to RT after a year or two. Now I think that was wrong and it won't happen for the bolded reasons above. Maybe if injury forces a move we do it, but why move a guy that played like he just did year 1...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again...:deadhorse:

focus.gif

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup that worries me. salary + age

Valid concern. IF, and that's a big if, they could secure his services for 3 years guaranteed money with team options and cap friendly numbers after that, to coincide with Romo's expected run, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They will be looking to extend players and renew contracts by that time anyway. You just can't seriously expect this current stable of RBs to be as productive as AP even with a great OL. It only takes one or two injuries on the OL and it's back to Romo passing on every other down and trying to win games all by himself. Also don't see this team needng to splurge in FA anytime soon, and that makes a real difference.

AP gives them a realistic chance to go to the SB, and probably the most serious challenger for Seahawks.

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valid concern. IF, and that's a big if, they could secure his services for 3 years guaranteed money with team options and cap friendly numbers after that, to coincide with Romo's expected run, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They will be looking to extend players and renew contracts by that time anyway. You just can't seriously expect this current stable of RBs to be as productive as AP even with a great OL. It only takes one or two injuries on the OL and it's back to Romo passing on every other down and trying to win games all by himself. Also don't see this team needng to splurge in FA anytime soon, and that makes a real difference.

AP gives them a realistic chance to go to the SB, and probably the most serious challenger for Seahawks.

AP really is a 29 year old RB with fresh legs. At age 32 or 33, that would be his expected time of decline, even for a physical freak like AP.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP really is a 29 year old RB with fresh legs. At age 32 or 33, that would be his expected time of decline, even for a physical freak like AP.

He is 30 and only two active RBs have more career carries: Steven Jackson and Frank Gore. Both of whom have been on the downswing of their respective careers for a while already. Both of whom were let walk by their teams this year and both of whom could be had for a bargain.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been torn about this since we lost Murray. One thing is for certain- we seem to be pushing all in with the draft and some of the FAs. I loved watching Williams in preseason last yr. I have always liked McFadden as well even though he hasn't had the career most expected. It's just hard to believe that a 12-4 team that almost won in GB in the playoffs - yes I know Rodgers wasnt 100 percent - would let the offensive POY walk and then pass on so many RBs in the draft for a swing tackle in Green. I don't know what it is but I just don't think the plan is Dmac and Williams. Maybe it is, but we lost a hell of a player and seem to be trying to load up everywhere else.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get this through your heads......there is NO CAP ROOM FOR AP. ZERO.ZILCH.NADA.NONE.

What little space we have is reserved for signing our rookies. As of right now there is no way to make a trade without giving up major talent off this roster. There will be no trade. Some of you just never learn.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be the stupidest move possible. He's 30, maybe 1 good year left, maybe, and the Cowboys would have to wreck their cap and give up a high pick....Absurd. This years #1 was Jones and 2nd is Gregory...which one of those do you want to give for a one year maybe

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE DON"T NEED AP.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it was just radio guys spitballing but a team in desperate need of offensive line help like the Dolphins, give them a call. A guy like Lamar Miller (not that they would deal him), is the type of guy we should look for. An above average guy that's not great.
Would you take RB Mason and a Rams DB of your choice in exchange for OL Martin?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly folks can we stop talking about acquiring AP? I'm pleased with the moves that the organization has made in the off-season and look forward to an exciting 2015 season.