• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys Sign LSU OT La'el Collins

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly why I WOULD have used a 7th rounder on Collins. It was just worth the risk IMO:

According to Collins’s agents, that’s not exactly the case. Agent Mike McCartney said that he’s never been more anxious during a draft than he was in the seventh round this year as they waited to see if someone would take Collins despite the threat to sit out the 2015 season in hopes of re-entering the draft the next year. His partner Rick Smith told Robert Klemko of TheMMQB.com that one team that said they were ready to take the plunge in the final round.

“There was a team that had drafted four offensive linemen and they said, ‘We’re taking him.’ And I texted back, ‘You’re going to embarrass yourself. You’re going to waste this pick.’ And they passed. And now he’s a UDFA,” Smith said.

The Rams were the only team to draft four offensive linemen during this year’s draft, all of them before the start of the seventh round, which doesn’t leave much guesswork about who was on the other side of the message. As it turns out, the Rams or anyone else who drafted Collins wouldn’t have had to deal with any embarrassment associated with wasting the pick.

“We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft,” Smith said. “If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks.”

Collins wasn’t drafted and the Cowboys signed him a few days later in a move that may leave a lot of other teams wishing they’d played things differently in spite of the extraordinary circumstances of the situation.

I agree I'd have used a 7th on him. What would be the cost throwing away a 7th rd pick? Many are thrown out with the bath water anyway.

As the draft came to an end I thought to myself. Maybe these GM's did Collins a solid. Did they choose not to take a late flyer on him because he was screwed one way or another.
If he did the killing he was going to prison deservedly and if he didn't he is out of a lot of $$$$$.

Team wise, the smart move would have been use that late pick and challenge his threat to sit. The gracious thing to do was let him be a UDFA.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they were more worried that he ended up indicted and now they get accused of drafting a "murderer". I felt all along that he wouldn't have asked to be placed in the Supplemental draft if he was guilty, he would have just tried to get drafted as soon as possible. It would be worse two months from now than it is now if he was still not exonerated. Bottom line, I'm happy it worked out exactly as it did

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they were more worried that he ended up indicted and now they get accused of drafting a "murderer". I felt all along that he wouldn't have asked to be placed in the Supplemental draft if he was guilty, he would have just tried to get drafted as soon as possible. It would be worse two months from now than it is now if he was still not exonerated. Bottom line, I'm happy it worked out exactly as it did

The concerns of posibly drafting a guy who might get charged for murder probably carried a lot of weight, but where was that concern immediately following the draft?

I have now idea what teams were thinking but not being drafted after he fell midway through the 2nd was a plus for him. If a team took a flyer on him he had two choices. Sign a dirt low contract or sit out a year working a low paying job in hopes he got picked early next year. There was no guarantee he'd be drafted in days one or two in 16.