• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys' Future > Your Team's Future

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing their #1 QB was the best thing that ever happened to that team

Their best 2 CB's? Are we including the absolutely dreadful Mo Claiborne?

They drafted their 2nd round pick KNOWING he would miss the season

Every team deals with injuries, key guys that miss a game or 2....My point is that the Cowboys suffered no injuries that sidetracked their season......Like losing an Earl Thomas for the year......For the most part, and definitely at the most important part of the season, that team was a full go healthwise

Do you really think that next season, you will have better luck with injuries than they had this season?
You said they didn't have injuries this year and alluded to it being much worse next year. They did. Don't change the argument because they had depth to cover it and guys like Dak and Leary and Brown at CB stepped up.

Did you watch Mo Claiborne this year? He played like a Pro Bowler. Yes they drafted Smith knowing he was hurt but your comparison was this year to next year and he is expected to play next year. Will he, I don't know but as of today he is expected to.

I don't try to predict the future and am too superstitious to even attempt doing so. My point was simply that the Cowboys had a decent amount of injuries this year, so your comment was inaccurate.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said they didn't have injuries this year and alluded to it being much worse next year. They did. Don't change the argument because they had depth to cover it and guys like Dak and Leary and Brown at CB stepped up.

Did you watch Mo Claiborne this year? He played like a Pro Bowler. Yes they drafted Smith knowing he was hurt but your comparison was this year to next year and he is expected to play next year. Will he, I don't know but as of today he is expected to.

I don't try to predict the future and am too superstitious to even attempt doing so. My point was simply that the Cowboys had a decent amount of injuries this year, so your comment was inaccurate.

In terms of length of time, and significance of injuries, Id bet Dallas had better luck than most of the NFL......And yes, when I say "significance", Im accounting for the players replacing them

And lets not ignore the fact that all of the guys mentioned were 100% ready to go in January

So my point is, you should be thankful if they have the same "luck" next season

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady and the Cheatriots are coming to an end.
Rodgers & Roethlisberger has a few more years left.
Eli is terrible.
Carr and Mariota will take some shine.

But no other team in the NFL has a brighter future than the Cowboys.
Better start building that defense quickly. Before you know it, you will need to pay big $$ to Zeke and Dak once their rookie contracts end. Just sayin'.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna run a train on your team twice next year, book it. This team will be hungrier and gonna have our own little revenge tour next year.

The Cowboys are going to have a tough go of it next year. Now don't get it twisted I think they are a very good football team and will be an offensive juggernaut but they had a cake schedule this year. Going into the season the Cowboys had the 27th ranked schedule this year. Next year they have the 10th ranked schedule (tied with Eagles) While they will not have the toughest schedule it is going to still be brutal (for the Eagles, Giants and Skins as well) They are not going to go 13-3.....to be honest I think the division winner of the NFC east next year probably will finish at 11-5. I think it is going to be the toughest division in the NFL. Each team in the NFC East is in the top 10 toughest schedules.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys should be a very good team next year. If Prescott continues to develop then the Cowboys have a great window for the next 3 years.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better start building that defense quickly. Before you know it, you will need to pay big $$ to Zeke and Dak once their rookie contracts end. Just sayin'.

You are 100% correct! With their offense essentially built they can focus 85% on defense or whatever they determine the ratio to be.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys should be a very good team next year. If Prescott continues to develop then the Cowboys have a great window for the next 3 years.

I am curious why you only give them a 3-year window?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because if Prescott does develop he will then be getting paid. It's how the NFL works.

That doesn't mean they will collapse after that, but that is a big advantage to have compared their rivals. Of course having Romo on the books next year for 20 million kinda negates that for next year.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably money.....in 3 years they are going to have to pay Dak and Zeke......that is going to be insane money. I can't recall the last time a team had a top 5 QB, RB, WR all at the same time. I think the last time was he Cowboys in 1996 which was a couple years after the salary cap started. While I don't think Dak is top 5 yet....he should be in 3 years.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if Prescott does develop he will then be getting paid. It's how the NFL works.

That doesn't mean they will collapse after that, but that is a big advantage to have compared their rivals. Of course having Romo on the books next year for 20 million kinda negates that for next year.

Next year the Cowboys will have 24.7 million falling off of the cap and in 3 years nearly another 20 million when Witten retires. The cap keeps rising in the NFL as profit sharing continues to be a success.

Call me a Cowboys fan but thinking Jerry won't be able to figure things out and keep the main pieces intact sounds more wishful thinking than the actual predestined future you make it out to be.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably money.....in 3 years they are going to have to pay Dak and Zeke......that is going to be insane money. I can't recall the last time a team had a top 5 QB, RB, WR all at the same time. I think the last time was he Cowboys in 1996. While I don't think Dak is top 5 yet....he should be in 3 years.

And than there is the question as to whether you pay a RB in todays NFL, even a great one like Zeke.......Dez was the difference in that game, that's where they almost won that game.......There isn't a team left in the postseason that got there on the shoulders of a great RB.......The way the game is played now, I wonder if you would be better off paying Zeke big $$$$ or giving that $$$$ to WR X

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably money.....in 3 years they are going to have to pay Dak and Zeke......that is going to be insane money. I can't recall the last time a team had a top 5 QB, RB, WR all at the same time. I think the last time was he Cowboys in 1996 which was a couple years after the salary cap started. While I don't think Dak is top 5 yet....he should be in 3 years.

See above.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And than there is the question as to whether you pay a RB in todays NFL, even a great one like Zeke.......Dez was the difference in that game, that's where they almost won that game.......There isn't a team left in the postseason that got there on the shoulders of a great RB.......The way the game is played now, I wonder if you would be better off paying Zeke big $$$$ or giving that $$$$ to WR X

is 47 million big money?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course having Romo on the books next year for 20 million kinda negates that for next year.

They are going to have to cut Romo. While I am sure they will want to trade him I am not sure anyone would be willing to pay $20 mil a year for him. I could be wrong.....Denver is going to be desperate.

EDIT: They are going to have to trade him. A cut would kill their cap. Romo is probably going to need to restructure in order for a trade to be worked out. His current deal has way too much guaranteed money.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is 47 million big money?

Guess you would have to figure how it affects the cap, considering Dak could be lining up at that point to be one of the higher paid QB's in the league

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess you would have to figure how it affects the cap, considering Dak could be lining up at that point to be one of the higher paid QB's in the league

It's definitely something to think about but I don't see Jerruh letting money get in the way.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year the Cowboys will have 24.7 million falling off of the cap and in 3 years nearly another 20 million when Witten retires. The cap keeps rising in the NFL as profit sharing continues to be a success.

Call me a Cowboys fan but thinking Jerry won't be able to figure things out and keep the main pieces intact sounds more wishful thinking than the actual predestined future you make it out to be.

So my very real and very objective point that the Cowboys' window is the next 3 years is countered by you with "Well Jerry Jones is just the bee's knees and will know what to do"?

If he was so good at managing the team, they would have won more than zero championships over the last 20 years.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely something to think about but I don't see Jerruh letting money get in the way.

I don't think he can pay all three top money and keep the team competive. Zeke is going to be the best RB in the NFL and will expect to be paid like one.

Franchise Tag - QB ($20 Mil), WR ($14 mil), RB ($12 mil) that is a lot of coin for 3 players.