• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins seeking $30M annually over 3-4 years

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No direct dig at Kirk, but from an overall team perspective, essentially you're saying that we are where we were with Kirk. (competitive without any Superbowl aspirations)

A) Vikings have a better team then the Redskins. This is indisputable.
B) Vikings also have a better cap projection then the Redskins. This is also indisputable.
C) Vikings are better positioned A&B above because they have a better front office and front office structure. This is also indisputable.
D) Kirk Cousins is an upgrade over Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford. This is also indisputable.

E) Kirk Cousins is a better QB then Alex Smith right NOW and also over the course of the rest of Alex Smiths playing career, 3 maybe 4 years. This I also believe is indisputable.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article's author is out to lunch. It's tough to take his article seriously when he says things like:

"...the Redskins’ front office made a number of respectable offers to Cousins and company, and all were spurned by the fifth year signal caller and his agent."

and

"In 2017, Kirk Cousins and Mike McCartney were uninterested in negotiating long-term with Washington and left $54 million guaranteed on the table to get to free agency this offseason."

That article conveniently leaves out a lot of pertinent facts b/c they shoot holes in its premise. Most every football writer agreed that the Skins last offer was a joke of an offer, and that tells you plenty about what the author thinks were "respectable offers" the team made.

I don’t think the writer understands he already had 24 million guaranteed. All KC did was pass up 30 million in guarantees he didn’t already have...one season’s salary.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B) Vikings also have a better cap projection then the Redskins. This is also indisputable.
C) Vikings are better positioned A&B above because they have a better front office and front office structure. This is also indisputable.
D) Kirk Cousins is an upgrade over Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford. This is also indisputable.

E) Kirk Cousins is a better QB then Alex Smith right NOW and also over the course of the rest of Alex Smiths playing career, 3 maybe 4 years. This I also believe is indisputable.

I will dispute D. I do believe KC is a better QB than those other three...the dispute comes in schematic fit. I am not saying KC is a poor fit. I am saying we do not know, so it is disputable.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that was interesting, but had nothing related to the perspective from Washington, which of course, the thing that I was clearly responding to when you posted this:

"Alex Smith is a commitment to being competitive without any superbowl aspirations.

thats the bottom line."

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will dispute D. I do believe KC is a better QB than those other three...the dispute comes in schematic fit. I am not saying KC is a poor fit. I am saying we do not know, so it is disputable.

Bradford and Keenum have very different styles and they both excelled this year. Could probably add an "F)" section. Better more flexible coaching now that we no longer have Sean Mcvay

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was interesting, but had nothing related to the perspective from Washington, which of course, the thing that I was clearly responding to when you posted this:

"Alex Smith is a commitment to being competitive without any superbowl aspirations.

thats the bottom line."

The perspective from Washington is that I believe you can win a SB with Cousins if you build up A-C. I dont think you can with Alex Smith.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The perspective from Washington is that I believe you can win a SB with Cousins if you build up A-C. I dont think you can with Alex Smith.

Interesting perspective, we had him for three years, where's the proof? In fact isn't it true that in each of those three years the team got progressively worse? (9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats the bottom line."

I find it to be a misguided commitment because I don’t expect to be competitive next season.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford and Keenum have very different styles and they both excelled this year. Could probably add an "F)" section. Better more flexible coaching now that we no longer have Sean Mcvay

Styles do not matter. Styles are not the same as schemes. KC will be going from a scheme and playbook he has known for four years to a new one. This makes any and all things disputable until on the field.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem is im not sure the people that run the team thought cousins was good enough. Or didn't want to accept the outcome

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but the poster @Skins2021 seems to believe that.

no I think they are 6-10 or 7-9 team next year despite working under the assumptions that they are A) healthier and B) easier schedule

I do think Cousins is THAT much better then Alex Smith

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting perspective, we had him for three years, where's the proof? In fact isn't it true that in each of those three years the team got progressively worse? (9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9)

The proof is that Cousins has consistently performed and has put to rest any doubt that he can be a franchise QB except from the densest of fans.

The proof is that the personnel got worse from 2016 and 2017 and Cousins didnt miss a beat and actually carried the team at times.

Or that despite the circus and distractions surrounding the skins in regards to SM and Cousins contract he was able to be a professional and continue to perform when it could have been very easy for him to use that as excuses.

Losing 2 1000 yard receivers. Laughably thinking that Rob Kelley is a starter, let alone belongs in the NFL.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never mind the fact that they gave him progressively worse talent and yet he was able to some how maintain some semblance of competitiveness.

Or are we now going to roll with the concept that Doctson and Pryor were actually considered some sort of upgrades to the team??

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never mind the fact that they gave him progressively worse talent and yet he was able to some how maintain some semblance of competitiveness.

Or are we now going to roll with the concept that Doctson and Pryor were actually considered some sort of upgrades to the team??

Pryor is awful and Doctson I am not crazy about. He doesnt separate. I'm not sure if its because he lacks speed and quickness... which he does.... or is not an in tune route runner or both.

I hope Doctson can develop into a poor mans Plaxico Burress with more coaching and experience but I think his ceiling is somewhat limited.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the point, show me any point in the Dan Snyder era, where this team has gotten sustainably better. Moving up from bad to average for a season or two, does not make them contenders for a SB, no matter who the QB happens to be.

Let's bottom line all of this speculation and grief about Kirk Cousin with this team, Had Kirk been under contract through the 2020 season here, there's no, zero, nada, or whatever evidence to support any chance at a deep playoff run or SB. In fact there plenty of evidence to support more of what actually did happen in his 3 year run.

Admit it guys, in the rosiest of circumstances, we don't have the personnel to build a championship team around ANY QB that starts here. I get it, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, but pinning your hopes on that blind squirrel will get the best of the most optimistic among us eventually.

BTW: I think Gruden gets the lions share of credit for them remaining competitive.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it’s worth I feel KC would have had us in a Super Bowl by 2020

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it’s worth I feel KC would have had us in a Super Bowl by 2020

Yeah, I wonder how much he would have had to pay, to get the whole team seats. :D

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point, show me any point in the Dan Snyder era, where this team has gotten sustainably better. Moving up from bad to average for a season or two, does not make them contenders for a SB, no matter who the QB happens to be.

Let's bottom line all of this speculation and grief about Kirk Cousin with this team, Had Kirk been under contract through the 2020 season here, there's no, zero, nada, or whatever evidence to support any chance at a deep playoff run or SB. In fact there plenty of evidence to support more of what actually did happen in his 3 year run.

Admit it guys, in the rosiest of circumstances, we don't have the personnel to build a championship team around ANY QB that starts here. I get it, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, but pinning your hopes on that blind squirrel will get the best of the most optimistic among us eventually.

BTW: I think Gruden gets the lions share of credit for them remaining competitive.

NOt resigning Kirk Guarantees that the only way this team improves and even sniffs a Super Bowl is shear dumb luck. I get it, deep down you didnt feel he was the one. But right out front you also have to admit that every time we change QBs, its a signal that we really are not doing a damn thing.

And I got to agree with Skinsdad, by 2020 with Kirk we are at least real contenders for a Super Bowl.... Right now we are just employing one of these.....

Type-III-Life-Jacket.jpg

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOt resigning Kirk Guarantees that the only way this team improves and even sniffs a Super Bowl is shear dumb luck. I get it, deep down you didnt feel he was the one. But right out front you also have to admit that every time we change QBs, its a signal that we really are not doing a damn thing.

And I got to agree with Skinsdad, by 2020 with Kirk we are at least real contenders for a Super Bowl.... Right now we are just employing one of these.....

Type-III-Life-Jacket.jpg

Shear dumb luck is exactly what would have gotten us there WITH Kirk. Let's call it the Not at the same time strategy, where none of these things happen at the same time under Bruce and Dan.

A competent running game
A good or better defense
A keeping of, and/or maintaining well producing WR'ers
A solid competent run blocking, pass blocking offensive line
A healthy dangerous TE
A QB who doesn't gag in big moments.
A HC who believes in a balance between the run and passing game

and

A GM who knows how to put all of that together at the same time, without sabotaging one or the other.
an organization that draws interest from well established, competent coaches.

BTW: It is exactly for these reasons that I call it the... Not at the same time strategy, and why I wrote " I wonder how much he would have had to pay, to get the whole team seats. :D "