• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Lets compromise. Each year a team misses the playoffs they get an extra 3% of the upcoming cap they can exceed. Give those teams who miss the playoffs the extra incentive to spend more to get better or for the shitty GM's a longer rope to hang themselves with.

And make it cumulative with a three year limit - let say 3% of the cap this year is 2 million - if a team doesn't exceed the salary cap in year one after missing the playoffs they can accumulate this credit in their salary cap bank and use it next year if they miss the playoffs - if they make the playoffs next year they lose the credit but offset that with playoff revenue.

So in theory, a team that misses the playoffs for three season in a row and doesn't use their banked up credit until after the third season would be allowed to spend 3% of the prior 3 season's caps respectively above the upcoming year's cap. This could potentially mean an extra 6-8 million dollars they could exceed the cap and get that high priced free agent who wants to come home or lock up a couple of guys coming off entry level deals long term. That's some words of wisdom for you right there.
and make it fun by having the ability to trade that cap space :)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only issue is how the hell do you make it work with revenue language in the CBA.

Probably would have to kill Jeremy Jacobs, for sure.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what esls said but I suggested it as a bonus for teams finishing between 5th and 10th.

esls was talking about modifying caps based on standings.

Are you saying that draft slots should be awarded based on a multi-year average of finish positions, not just on the prior year? I do like that idea. Along with an Edmonton rule, preventing one team from squandering multiple #1s.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
esls was talking about modifying caps based on standings.

Are you saying that draft slots should be awarded based on a multi-year average of finish positions, not just on the prior year? I do like that idea. Along with an Edmonton rule, preventing one team from squandering multiple #1s.

It was the following:

I just don't quite understand how you can have parity and a non-weighted lottery at the same time. Somehow two or three teams will wind up picking 12th and 14th every year and never be able to build a team that can contend.

I think the simpler solution would be to give teams that finish 6-10 some sort of cap benefit they can use the next season, including the ability to trade the space to a maxed out team for an asset. How many GM's would love to have an extra $3 million to play with right now?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun reminder of how talented these guys really are

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the thud of BBB's head hitting his desk all the way here in DC!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the thud of BBB's head hitting his desk all the way here in DC!!
Hahahaha!

It was always a possibility. Like I said, Kadri is a good player I'm just sick of the shenanigans.

I am scared to see the figures though - buying 4 UFA years couldn't have been cheap.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Dreger on Monday morning regarding the Leafs wanting to negotiate with Rielly: "They do, and the general discussions on that contract extension are underway. There’s nothing imminent"

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Dreger on Monday morning regarding the Leafs wanting to negotiate with Rielly: "They do, and the general discussions on that contract extension are underway. There’s nothing imminent"

cousin dave just doesnt have the contacts that he used to

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rielly I get. But Kadri, the Leafs need to part ways with that dude.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rielly I get. But Kadri, the Leafs need to part ways with that dude.
Assuming Lou didn't give him a NTC, still possible.

Maybe their plan is to keep him here this year while they see what they have in the youngsters and try to get Stamkos here. If he learns how to shoot and puts up 20g/50p+, he's suddenly on one of the best contracts in the league.