• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you suggesting the Leafs are just flogging their best young player in public for no good reason? For what benefit? A cheaper RFA contract come summer? The team is going to be miles by the time everything is said and done so what benefit is there other than getting the player to hate management and count the days until his exit? Conspiracies like this make no sense.

Wait a minute, what "conspiracy" was I putting forward exactly? That a team that has a done a lot of stupid things in their recent history might be doing something stupid again? That doesn't sound so farfetched to me. They need to show me a lot more "good decisions" before getting even a taste of the benefit of the doubt.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this wasn't Kadri's first time doing this i seriously doubt he would have specifically told media members that it was the only time he's been late.

So, either Leaf management ridiculously overreacted, or, Kadri is being disingenous

:noidea:

Or,, there are other issues besides missing a meeting(s). I am guessing this is closer to the truth.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Leafs are just benching him so that they can get him for much cheaper in the offseason, then Nazem Kadri and his representatives should consider filing a grievance or even suing the team - there's no way in hell someone can sit three games for something like this, unless it's something absolutely ridiculous

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that the fact that Kadri specifically said to the media "I've only been late the one time" quashes the theory that the "history" is referring to lateness.
He said he's "never missed a meeting and then been sent home" and "normally I'm pretty punctual" and "this is a one time thing and it'll never happen again". Not the same as "This was the only time i've been late". Hell, maybe it was saying shit like that that pissed off the coaches, making it out as if it were the only time it's happened when it wasn't.

Anyway, if the "history" isn't referring to just lateness, there must be something else they know about that we don't. Not everything leaks. I think the idea that management are picking on Kadri for no reason other than to cheapen his contract negotiations is just absurd and there would be a PA grievance filed if that were the case.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Leafs are just benching him so that they can get him for much cheaper in the offseason, then Nazem Kadri and his representatives should consider filing a grievance or even suing the team - there's no way in hell someone can sit three games for something like this, unless it's something absolutely ridiculous
Exactly. And here we are after he's missed two games and no grievance. He fucked up. He's owning up to it. Management are trying to teach a kid a lesson. Let's move on.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he's "never missed a meeting and then been sent home" and "normally I'm pretty punctual" and "this is a one time thing and it'll never happen again". Not the same as "This was the only time i've been late". Hell, maybe it was saying shit like that that pissed off the coaches, making it out as if it were the only time it's happened when it wasn't.

Anyway, if the "history" isn't referring to just lateness, there must be something else they know about that we don't. Not everything leaks. I think the idea that management are picking on Kadri for no reason other than to cheapen his contract negotiations is just absurd and there would be a PA grievance filed if that were the case.

As I said before, why does there have to be some conspiracy at work here? "Stupid team gonna stupid" is an unlikely theory behind a Leaf decision all of a sudden?

I'd also say that from my experience dealing with executives I've found that phrasing like "This is a big turning point for him" usually means "If this goes the wrong way it will be all his fault, but if it improves then we deserve the credit for fixing him"

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should say specifically what they are talking about or not mention it at all. If you're not willing/wanting to talk about what his "history" is then it shouldn't be mentioned

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should say specifically what they are talking about or not mention it at all. If you're not willing/wanting to talk about what his "history" is then it shouldn't be mentioned
Why? If he's not talking about it and not filing a grievance over it why do they need to tell the public why he's being disciplined? To piss him off?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said before, why does there have to be some conspiracy at work here? "Stupid team gonna stupid" is an unlikely theory behind a Leaf decision all of a sudden?

I'd also say that from my experience dealing with executives I've found that phrasing like "This is a big turning point for him" usually means "If this goes the wrong way it will be all his fault, but if it improves then we deserve the credit for fixing him"

If they were doing this for no reason at all, he would file a grievance. Undoubtedly. His teammates would tell him to file one. They would speak out in public about it. The union would have a heart attack and go ballistic. There is no evidence that anybody, even Kadri himself, is taking this the wrong way or furious about anything that has happened. He is a player making millions of dollars who is not conducting himself in a manner befitting his profession or his status. I don't know what the reason is, and I don't care, so long as they are all in agreement and behind the decision and that does appear to be the case. I hope he comes back Saturday and scores 4 goals in a 5-4 loss.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were doing this for no reason at all, he would file a grievance. Undoubtedly. His teammates would tell him to file one. They would speak out in public about it. The union would have a heart attack and go ballistic. There is no evidence that anybody, even Kadri himself, is taking this the wrong way or furious about anything that has happened. He is a player making millions of dollars who is not conducting himself in a manner befitting his profession or his status. I don't know what the reason is, and I don't care, so long as they are all in agreement and behind the decision and that does appear to be the case. I hope he comes back Saturday and scores 4 goals in a 5-4 loss.

Why would people speak out in public about it? If you're filing a grievance, you don't go out and say, "I'm going to file a grievance!" or say all the negative things because then it can be held against you - you keep quiet and you file the grievance/lawsuit so that the team can't say that you said something stupid - if all the players were telling him to file then the team would figure out immediately and try to apologize and make good - that's why you keep quiet so that nobody can use what you say against you

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would people speak out in public about it? If you're filing a grievance, you don't go out and say, "I'm going to file a grievance!" or say all the negative things because then it can be held against you - you keep quiet and you file the grievance/lawsuit so that the team can't say that you said something stupid - if all the players were telling him to file then the team would figure out immediately and try to apologize and make good - that's why you keep quiet so that nobody can use what you say against you
Given the shit that's gone on with this team, I think if the guys in the room thought their teammate was being mistreated they'd speak out about it is what I mean. Even if anonymously to the press.

Anyway, I'm over it. I've liked everything Shanahan has done this season, from firing the assistant GMs and hiring who he did to replace them to the trades of pending UFAs to firing Randy to this. I have no reason to doubt him right now. He came out and spoke to the media about this when he could've left it for the coaching staff to deal with, and I respect that.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, I like you but you are starting with a strawman here. They are obviously not "doing this for no reason at all", and I never said that they were.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? If he's not talking about it and not filing a grievance over it why do they need to tell the public why he's being disciplined? To piss him off?

Which is why I offered the "or not mention it at all" ("it" being that there is "history") option.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I offered the "or not mention it at all" ("it" being that there is "history") option.
Well, they had to say something. You really want a shit storm, try pulling one of your best players from the lineup for 3 games and don't tell the media anything and see what happens.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I like you but you are starting with a strawman here. They are obviously not "doing this for no reason at all", and I never said that they were.
Stupid team gonna stupid would be no reason at all. There's just no reason to do this, unless it were a contract thing in which case, stupid team gonna stupid above everybody else including Edmonton. I still don't think this team is that low and dumb.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they had to say something. You really want a shit storm, try pulling one of your best players from the lineup for 3 games and don't tell the media anything and see what happens.

Cause saying that there's "history" with no details about what exactly you mean by that is much better and answers so many more questions? I'd argue that it was worse than saying nothing.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid team gonna stupid would be no reason at all. There's just no reason to do this, unless it were a contract thing in which case, stupid team gonna stupid above everybody else including Edmonton. I still don't think this team is that low and dumb.

"Stupid team gonna stupid" isn't so much the reason as it is the explanation though. The "reason" is the tardiness for practice.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You haven't "said nothing" at this point anyway though, even if you don't make the "history" comment. They already know about the lateness incident.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't "said nothing" at this point anyway though, even if you don't make the "history" comment. They already know about the lateness incident.
I don't see many others questioning this, I think they see it for what it is - Kadri has behavioural problems and the team is trying to get out in front of it, and had an obvious need to explain it to the public but were better served by not divulging the entire nature of the matter. Good on them.