• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um...you sure got a lot out of "an example needs to be set". Literally has nothing to do with anything about the team's play this season and I didn't make it out as if it were, just that guys on this team, whether they're long for it or not, need to know that there are rules and breaking the rules will be punished. I see that as a big deal.

I was listening to TSN radio and heard Ferraro and the former Calgary backup goalie talking about how usually such incidents resulted in fines, which is what Horachek may be referring to in regards to Kadri's "past" - that this wasn't his first time being late and he had been fined previously.

I think maybe where we differ is in what we think something being "a big deal" means.

I'm not saying that it should be OK to break rules, or that breaking rules shouldn't be punished. I'm saying that it shouldn't be made into more than that. It was a simple mistake, and it's been punished. It never should have gotten out in the first place, but either way it's done. And yet we're probably going to continue hearing about it for the next week or two, in support of all kinds of stupid arguments about the team in general I suspect.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe where we differ is in what we think something being "a big deal" means.

I'm not saying that it should be OK to break rules, or that breaking rules shouldn't be punished. I'm saying that it shouldn't be made into more than that. It was a simple mistake, and it's been punished. It never should have gotten out in the first place, but either way it's done. And yet we're probably going to continue hearing about it for the next week or two, in support of all kinds of stupid arguments about the team in general I suspect.
In this we agree.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That media person should be fired.

If you dump Kadri, you have no centre prospects projecting into the top six to even plug in there save for whoever they draft this June. You'd also be selling low, and while that doesn't matter for a guy like Bozak who they just need to move on from period it's a huge loss for a guy who can still develop into a 60-70 pt scorer.

Barring them drafting one of the better centres and that player being able to jump straight into the NHL (and I think only McDavid really falls into that category, maybe Strome) the Leafs' top two C's should be Kadri and Holland next season. See what you have, evaluate how they work with whoever's left on the team and then make a decision on how you want to move forward.

Agree with all of this. My concern is Kadri's RFA status. I have heard statements like "he will get $4 - 4.5m per year" and I dont think he has earned it yet. (No, Bozak haasnt either, but that is another story). I am worried the Leafs will sign him to a longer term/bigger dollar contract then they should.

If they could bring him back for a year or two for $2.5 - 3.5m, I think that makes sense. But Kadri wont like it, no one will give him an offer sheet, and then we will see his immaturity in full bloom all summer and next year. This is my worry.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all of this. My concern is Kadri's RFA status. I have heard statements like "he will get $4 - 4.5m per year" and I dont think he has earned it yet. (No, Bozak haasnt either, but that is another story). I am worried the Leafs will sign him to a longer term/bigger dollar contract then they should.

If they could bring him back for a year or two for $2.5 - 3.5m, I think that makes sense. But Kadri wont like it, no one will give him an offer sheet, and then we will see his immaturity in full bloom all summer and next year. This is my worry.
I have no problem with giving him $4m provided Bozak is moved. He'll get to play on the first line and regardless of who his linemates end up being he will be tasked with top-line production and if he produces, good for him he'll have earned his contract and the eventual extension/raise; fail to produce and he'll continue being paid at a second-tier rate.

Of course, if the Leafs go out and acquire someone like Ryan O'Reilly that changes everything.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brassard signed for 5 years and $25 million as an RFA last summer. In the three seasons prior he had 44 goals and 71 assists in 202 games, with 25 and 41 of that at even strength.

For comparison, in the last two seasons plus the current one Kadri has 54 goals and 76 assists in 190 games, 33 and 57 of them at even strength. While playing with weaker players on average. He's going to get more than $2-3 million from some team, and he should.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brassard signed for 5 years and $25 million as an RFA last summer. In the three seasons prior he had 44 goals and 71 assists in 202 games, with 25 and 41 of that at even strength.

For comparison, in the last two seasons plus the current one Kadri has 54 goals and 76 assists in 190 games, 33 and 57 of them at even strength. While playing with weaker players on average. He's going to get more than $2-3 million from some team, and he should.

Now, now. We cant use a Sather signing to justify our point :nono:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years afterthe ink dries, was there EVER a good Staal signing? :noidea:
I think Eric earned his deal. Wasn't his fault Rutherford couldn't build a team around him again.

And I'll always feel for Marc given he was a pretty solid top pair d-man after the eye injury, much the same way Berard wasn't after Hossa scooped out his retina.

Gotta admit Marc's been playing a lot better as of late, though.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, now. We cant use a Sather signing to justify our point :nono:

If you want I can find somebody else, I just figured he was the best comparison when I looked at the RFAs from last summer.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Eric earned his deal. Wasn't his fault Rutherford couldn't build a team around him again.

And I'll always feel for Marc given he was a pretty solid top pair d-man after the eye injury, much the same way Berard wasn't after Hossa scooped out his retina.

Gotta admit Marc's been playing a lot better as of late, though.

A lot of people thought that Marc looked better because he was playing with Stralman, and it sure looks now like that was the case. I don't know if Stralman would have re-signed, but I bet if he'd been offered Staal numbers he would have.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people thought that Marc looked better because he was playing with Stralman, and it sure looks now like that was the case. I don't know if Stralman would have re-signed, but I bet if he'd been offered Staal numbers he would have.
Letting Stralman walk and signing Boyle was rather boneheaded.

So was trading him for Wayne Primeau...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only this team can consistently make news despite being completely irrelevant in terms of actual gameplay. It's actually remarkable.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6a017c384309e3970b017d4279c0f1970c-800wi

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri scratched for two more games? Okay then.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Kadri story illustrates wby the Leafs continue to struggle. Players under intense scutiny 24/7 and it must feel like there's no escape. Don't get me wrong, there needs to be consequences for Kadri being late for a team meeting, but it shouldn't have blown up like this.