• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy IRONy out of Pittsburgh

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole situation is just screwy. It's also ruined sports talk radio for me until they hire a new GM honestly. The insanity with which people are discussing this team is mind melting. Heard on the radio today: Sid's playoff struggles result from him feeling guilt over the Dupuis injury, in which he embellished a hit and collided with his linemate, thus injuring him. THAT WAS LITERALLY SAID. That in addition to speculation about him forcing out a coach (who isn't even gone) and calling the shots (Brisson rumors) are just...insane. There's a crazy amount of people saying he threw the playoffs to get his way. Because yeah, that's what he was thinking. "Maybe if I just decide to not show up this postseason I can get my own GM and coach! And make all the decisions!"

that's got mark madden written all over it.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark Madden is terrible

I can't stand listening to WIP in Philadelphia, it rots the brain so bad

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, Madden knows his stuff about the Pens. The Dupuis thing was a caller to 93.7, and was immediately told he was an idiot.

I understand flyer fans hating him though, cause he's a douche to flyers fans, which is terrific radio if you are a Pens fan.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, Madden knows his stuff about the Pens. The Dupuis thing was a caller to 93.7, and was immediately told he was an idiot.

I understand flyer fans hating him though, cause he's a douche to flyers fans, which is terrific radio if you are a Pens fan.

lol, that would be fun to listen to too

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amazingly...he was the only sane sportswriter in town this past week. I HATE Madden's schtick, but he's generally right on about Pens issues (hockey is his thing, he shouldn't discuss ANYTHING else). He called out other reporters for being irresponsible and performing a shoddy character assassination for a guy whose done a ton for this town. Basically said that *gasp* sometimes athletes simply don't play well, and that's that. There's not some hidden explanation, he's simply not played well. Only thing he called Sid on was not assuming all responsibility in public like many other captains have in that past (even though it's a team game).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That caller should've been cut off and laughed at, they were far too nice to him honestly. That was an awful, awful day of radio. Starkey, who has been one of my favorites on the fan, deserves to be run out of town for that article he wrote. Just a hack.

EDIT: Also, that whole day callers were going on and on about how the Pens should've signed a power forward, gotten a big guy, etc. Not one single individual thought to say maybe they should've drafted a guy like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gets him off the air and he can destroy a rival from the inside. WIN/WIN

Last edited by a moderator:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me while I :puke:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm renaming this thread to "Comedy IRON-y out of Pittsburgh"

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5/21/14 | 2:39PM: Gorton’s name keeps popping up in conversations about the Penguins GM opening. He is viewed as a “rising star” in NHL circles in the same way that former Pittsburgh assistant GM Chuck Fletcher was before he took the job in Minnesota. (Trib)

Thought for sure he'd be first in line to replace good 'ol Slats when he retires. No surprise that he's gaining interest from other teams. With us, i'd feel like it would new boss meets the old boss. They're one in the same.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That caller should've been cut off and laughed at, they were far too nice to him honestly. That was an awful, awful day of radio. Starkey, who has been one of my favorites on the fan, deserves to be run out of town for that article he wrote. Just a hack.

EDIT: Also, that whole day callers were going on and on about how the Pens should've signed a power forward, gotten a big guy, etc. Not one single individual thought to say maybe they should've drafted a guy like that.

Yeah, Starkey is usually good, but the end of the regular season he was asking if Bylsma should be the Jack Adams winner and now was on the fire Bylsma bandwagon after the season.

I didn't read the Crosby column, but I heard bad things. Although I Sid played bad, pretty leave it at that.

Yea, the power forward stuff gets old, people can't even define what a power forward is. Is he a big guy? Someone that goes to the net? A fighter/grinder?

The storyline that has got me though is that the Pens need 'better wingers' in the top six.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Starkey is usually good, but the end of the regular season he was asking if Bylsma should be the Jack Adams winner and now was on the fire Bylsma bandwagon after the season.

I didn't read the Crosby column, but I heard bad things. Although I Sid played bad, pretty leave it at that.

Yea, the power forward stuff gets old, people can't even define what a power forward is. Is he a big guy? Someone that goes to the net? A fighter/grinder?

The storyline that has got me though is that the Pens need 'better wingers' in the top six.

Penguins Forward Depth: Was It An Issue? - PensBurgh

^^GREAT article on the "WE HAVE NO DEPTH!" idea. Biggest issue is lack of young forwards in the system AND the misuse of players. Those put both GM and coach at fault...soooooo....

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins Forward Depth: Was It An Issue? - PensBurgh

^^GREAT article on the "WE HAVE NO DEPTH!" idea. Biggest issue is lack of young forwards in the system AND the misuse of players. Those put both GM and coach at fault...soooooo....

Very interesting, although I have to say there was a stark contrast of the Pens Fenwick and Corsi numbers between the playoffs and regular season. And I like advanced stats very much, but my eyes tell me Craig Adams just flat out can't play hockey, and is a detriment whenever he is on the ice, no matter what the stats say.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting, although I have to say there was a stark contrast of the Pens Fenwick and Corsi numbers between the playoffs and regular season. And I like advanced stats very much, but my eyes tell me Craig Adams just flat out can't play hockey, and is a detriment whenever he is on the ice, no matter what the stats say.

I hear ya. I feel the same pain on my own team.

The fact of the matter (not just for the Pens) is that it is hard to find the right guys/depth to fit in around your best players.

The Pens have two of the best 10 players in the league; they get paid accordingly. They also have a high-paid goalie and a top salary D-man in Letang. In the salary cap era it is hard to get good depth players when you have that much star power.

Now I agree that Adams is a pretty useless player, but they need a fourth liner and he fits the bill.

That being said, I can say as a Sens fan that certain 3rd and 4th line players on the Ottawa roster could be replaced with prospects and there would be no drop in performance. It drives me crazy. I don't know enough about the Pens forwards prospects but perhaps that is what you mean.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, I can say as a Sens fan that certain 3rd and 4th line players on the Ottawa roster could be replaced with prospects and there would be no drop in performance. It drives me crazy. I don't know enough about the Pens forwards prospects but perhaps that is what you mean.
That is precisely what is being said. I'd go so far to say that in a few cases prospects would outperform their vet counterparts. That was/is the most frustrating parts.