• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy IRONy out of Pittsburgh

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stripes was on again last night - After the raid at the Pom-Pom Club, I love the scene where the boys are getting reamed out by John Larroquette and the shirt that Judge Reinhold is wearing "Death before Disco"

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, I can say as a Sens fan that certain 3rd and 4th line players on the Ottawa roster could be replaced with prospects and there would be no drop in performance. It drives me crazy. I don't know enough about the Pens forwards prospects but perhaps that is what you mean.

In a nutshell, this is the reason for the Jackets' success this year. They had 9 bottom six depth guys that could rotate in and out with no measurable loss in performance. Who's in? Tropp? Frattin? Skille? Didn't matter. They were able to keep some guys fresh.

Same thing on D with Savard and Prout and having Golubef and Erixon able to step in when there was an injury.

This is going to be a problem in a few years when they are all looking for contracts, but this year it was nice to have.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. I feel the same pain on my own team.

The fact of the matter (not just for the Pens) is that it is hard to find the right guys/depth to fit in around your best players.

The Pens have two of the best 10 players in the league; they get paid accordingly. They also have a high-paid goalie and a top salary D-man in Letang. In the salary cap era it is hard to get good depth players when you have that much star power.

Now I agree that Adams is a pretty useless player, but they need a fourth liner and he fits the bill.

That being said, I can say as a Sens fan that certain 3rd and 4th line players on the Ottawa roster could be replaced with prospects and there would be no drop in performance. It drives me crazy. I don't know enough about the Pens forwards prospects but perhaps that is what you mean.

Precisely what I mean, it's frustrating right? It's one reason I respect Chicago's FO so much, they actually have a stated intent that the team not get stale, and like turnover on the bottom lines to keep guys hungry and fresh, and most of their bottom six are guys in the 20's. Can't think of anything more stale than keeping a no talent 4th liner around like Adams for 6 years.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a nutshell, this is the reason for the Jackets' success this year. They had 9 bottom six depth guys that could rotate in and out with no measurable loss in performance. Who's in? Tropp? Frattin? Skille? Didn't matter. They were able to keep some guys fresh.

Same thing on D with Savard and Prout and having Golubef and Erixon able to step in when there was an injury.

This is going to be a problem in a few years when they are all looking for contracts, but this year it was nice to have.

Yeah, it's a lot easier with a young team, the test of a GM is if he's willing to do that when it means replacing proven but mediocre players with young guys with upside.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stripes was on again last night - After the raid at the Pom-Pom Club, I love the scene where the boys are getting reamed out by John Larroquette and the shirt that Judge Reinhold is wearing "Death before Disco"

Death+B4+Disco.jpg

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a lot easier with a young team, the test of a GM is if he's willing to do that when it means replacing proven but mediocre players with young guys with upside.

Something that has become infuriating with the Devils, hoping they change that this year. Our entire 4th line are UFAs, I hope to let them walk and replace them from within. We have 3 or 4 guys that are NHL ready on D and just don't get the proper playing time because of a logjam of mediocre vets.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely what I mean, it's frustrating right? It's one reason I respect Chicago's FO so much, they actually have a stated intent that the team not get stale, and like turnover on the bottom lines to keep guys hungry and fresh, and most of their bottom six are guys in the 20's. Can't think of anything more stale than keeping a no talent 4th liner around like Adams for 6 years.

In that interview with Burlke and Lemieux they pretty much alluded to this, talked about the time that all the AHL guys were up and we were winning/playing well. However, isn't that on the coach? I do think the drafting/direction was a bit off, but personnel decisions for the lineup are on DB.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that interview with Burlke and Lemieux they pretty much alluded to this, talked about the time that all the AHL guys were up and we were winning/playing well. However, isn't that on the coach? I do think the drafting/direction was a bit off, but personnel decisions for the lineup are on DB.

I'm sure there are things Dan Bylsma could have done better as far as personnel decisions go(he should be canned anyway, imo) but I think part of that is not having the right pieces to play with - if the GM gives you the pieces, then you can work with it better - but who knows, maybe he'd still screw up even if the GM gave him the pieces to work with

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there are things Dan Bylsma could have done better as far as personnel decisions go(he should be canned anyway, imo) but I think part of that is not having the right pieces to play with - if the GM gives you the pieces, then you can work with it better - but who knows, maybe he'd still screw up even if the GM gave him the pieces to work with

Things like playing Adams/Scuderi, sitting Gibbons/Megna out in the playoffs, etc. Even Zolniercyzk. There were plenty of guys that played well when up that stayed out of the lineup for less talented and higher paid options. People made the argument that Shero was forcing DB to keep playing Scuds because of that contract, but I doubt it. I think that was Blysma and his obsession with gritty veterans instead of young players. Even the way he's handled Beau Bennett, or Simon Despres. He's ruined good talent. Well, maybe not ruined, but stunted their development.

EDIT: I also think the pieces are there, much more than many think. Look at the depth piece on the last page I posted. It compares top 6 and bottom 6 production of the Pens and other playoff teams. Very similar.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is precisely what is being said. I'd go so far to say that in a few cases prospects would outperform their vet counterparts. That was/is the most frustrating parts.

Zach Sill should have replaced Adams in October.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate blaming guys for injuries, not that I'm making an assumption that this is what was intended. If a guy is out of shape and pulls a hammy, go ahead. If a guy is reckless and puts himself in harms way, sure...but that's not the case for many.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm????

:think:

Lucky pierre in the cesspool sounds decidedly more chipper today than he did last week when he said "this is not how an NHL team is supposed to do business" regarding the Pens

I wonder what gives??? :spy:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm????

:think:

Lucky pierre in the cesspool sounds decidedly more chipper today than he did last week when he said "this is not how an NHL team is supposed to do business" regarding the Pens

I wonder what gives??? :spy:

One of the user comments on one of Habs articles I was reading earlier stated that a local radio station said Pierre was close to getting the Pens GM job. No verified links so I didn't post it. Its a rumor though.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the user comments on one of Habs articles I was reading earlier stated that a local radio station said Pierre was close to getting the Pens GM job. No verified links so I didn't post it. Its a rumor though.
Oh my. Please don't force me to put my fandom on hiatus.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pierre gets the job there's a good chance I change teams. Not because I hate Pierre, although I greatly dislike the man, but because to me that screams of ownership getting their buddy a job. That and the man isn't qualified for the job. I still contend that it's codswallop.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pierre gets the job there's a good chance I change teams. Not because I hate Pierre, although I greatly dislike the man, but because to me that screams of ownership getting their buddy a job. That and the man isn't qualified for the job. I still contend that it's codswallop.
Oh, I could never change teams, but my interest in watching would be severely curtailed.