• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick > 2012 Rookie QB class

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way in hell would I take any of Luck, Griffin or Wilson over Kap! Kap is as good or better than all of them right now.

I can't believe it either and I've watched all of them play all season. I'll admit, my answer wouldn't have been the same if it weren't for that game in Atlanta. I wanted to see how far Kap would be 9 games in compared to the other three. I think Wilson has a better grasp on how to run his offense but I think Kap has actually met him at this point.

I'm sure fans are perfectly happy with the QB that they have and I still see a lot of upside for each QB. But Kap and Wilson have already shown me that they could do things Luck can. There are things Kap and Wilson can do that Luck can't.

Cam is physically gifted but I think he's all talent, no brains. Or just a bad attitude. No way I want that guy playing on my team. I'm still pulling for him because I'd hate to see all that talent go to waste.

As for RG3, Wilson and Kap, honestly, you couldn't go wrong with any of these guys. But I am only giving an edge to Kap because DAMN that kid can throw! He can make throws anyone can make but not even these kids can make the throws he can!

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you would agree that the pass protection has been A++ in the playoffs though?? Kaep has had all day to throw the football.

Oh definitely but there was a time when pressure was coming to his left side and he was able to scramble to his left throwing that perfect touch pass to Gore in Green Bay. I have no doubt Kap can make passes whether the Oline holds up or not. I think Luck is very athletic and has done well enough to scramble out of the pocket to make plays but that's where he falls behind the other guys. He makes too many mistakes and make costly throws. There are times when he should throw the ball away but instead, takes the risk and it ends up being an INT. His decision-making is what put those other guys ahead of Luck.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe it either and I've watched all of them play all season. I'll admit, my answer wouldn't have been the same if it weren't for that game in Atlanta. I wanted to see how far Kap would be 9 games in compared to the other three. I think Wilson has a better grasp on how to run his offense but I think Kap has actually met him at this point.

I'm sure fans are perfectly happy with the QB that they have and I still see a lot of upside for each QB. But Kap and Wilson have already shown me that they could do things Luck can. There are things Kap and Wilson can do that Luck can't.

Cam is physically gifted but I think he's all talent, no brains. Or just a bad attitude. No way I want that guy playing on my team. I'm still pulling for him because I'd hate to see all that talent go to waste.

As for RG3, Wilson and Kap, honestly, you couldn't go wrong with any of these guys. But I am only giving an edge to Kap because DAMN that kid can throw! He can make throws anyone can make but not even these kids can make the throws he can!

Colin Kaepernick after only seven regular season starts has LED come from behind victories over both the Packers & Falcons in a Divisional & Conference Championship playoff games; and, in the process he picked himself and his defense up in shoot-outs with Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan.

Yeah, I'm not taking any of those other three QB's over Colin Kaepernick.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick after only seven regular season starts has LED come from behind victories over both the Packers & Falcons in a Divisional & Conference Championship playoff games; and, in the process he picked himself and his defense up in shoot-outs with Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan.

Yeah, I'm not taking any of those other three QB's over Colin Kaepernick.

He also had the best D, the best O-Line, best TE, a great run game and really good WR's. Now Kaep played great, but lets not act like he did it by himself.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He also had the best D, the best O-Line, best TE, a great run game and really good WR's. Now Kaep played great, but lets not act like he did it by himself.

I would agree with all of that except "great WRs." The Niners' WRs are not great. They're average (if not below average). Especially with Mario & Kyle injured.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To me, Kap is an absolute phenom and its a silly time to say anything that could remotely be construed as negative.......but you have to consider the situations in play. What would Luck be doing if he was working under Harbaugh iwith the Niners?

This stuff is so, so difficult to get a good perspective on, the systems that various guys work in vary so much its hard to isolate QB performance. Its quite possible that Harbaugh & co.'s perfect handling of QBs is what made Luck look so great at Stanford in the first place. Look what he was able to do with Smith. I don't know how good any of these guys are really, but I do think that if you switch the guys - Kap was in IND and Luck was in SF - this conversation wouldn't be happening because Luck would have the 100+ passer rating leading a great team to playoff victories and Kap would be having the usual young QB struggles.

I'm not saying I'd take Luck, because like I said at this point I'm not convinced Harbaugh/Roman/etc. didn't make him look better than he is. And Kap obviously has the total package, he is excellent. But its a tough one.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure who you are addressing with your "...lets not act like he did it all by himself." But since you mistakenly quoted my response I'll take a moment to add some clarity to your comment.

1) I could not care less about the defense - Kaepernick is a QB - he plays on offense.
2) Crabtree was a non-factor WR until Kap took over
3) Until yesterday, Davis has been a non-factor since Kap took over
4) Our run game has been bolstered because of Kap
5) Our sack ratio has dropped by 33% since Kap took over
6) I'm sure if I wanted to add more to this list I could.

Yes, Colin is surrounded by an excellent team just as those other QB's are; last time I looked each of them were in the playoffs as well. But let's not act as if just any QB can do what Colin Kaepernick has done this season & post-season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm on board with Kaepernick. I haven't seen enough of the other guys to weigh in on who I think is the best, but when I think about where Kap was a year and a half ago, and where he is now, the sky really is the limit. He has had virtually no bumps in the road. He's just seamlessly entered onto the biggest stage and has been dominant. I'm entirely blown away by his performance.

Someone mentioned poise earlier, and I think that's where we're seeing something that's really special. This guy is a first-time starter, and as Justin Smith said, you just can't faze him. He throws a pick-six. He falls behind 17-0. It doesn't matter. He's not affected by it. That's special. That's the sort of thing - obviously combined with the physical ability, intelligence, and work ethic - that distinguishes a good player from a great player. I had some questions about Kap's leadership ability a few weeks ago. I can't say those have been ENTIRELY erased, but even if he's not Brees, Brady, or Manning in terms of vocal leadership, players follow a winner. Players follow a guy who never gives up.

I'm extremely excited about the future: a full year to implement an offense to suit him, time to improve chemistry with his receivers, a slew of draft picks, some FA space, another year for young players to grow in the system. And another year to work with Harbaugh. This kid has amazing physical ability combined with unique intangibles. I can't say how impressed - and frankly surprised - I've been by his performance to date. Here's to hoping he keeps it up in two weeks.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on board with Kaepernick. I haven't seen enough of the other guys to weigh in on who I think is the best, but when I think about where Kap was a year and a half ago, and where he is now, the sky really is the limit. He has had virtually no bumps in the road. He's just seamlessly entered onto the biggest stage and has been dominant. I'm entirely blown away by his performance.

Someone mentioned poise earlier, and I think that's where we're seeing something that's really special. This guy is a first-time starter, and as Justin Smith said, you just can't faze him. He throws a pick-six. He falls behind 17-0. It doesn't matter. He's not affected by it. That's special. That's the sort of thing - obviously combined with the physical ability, intelligence, and work ethic - that distinguishes a good player from a great player. I had some questions about Kap's leadership ability a few weeks ago. I can't say those have been ENTIRELY erased, but even if he's not Brees, Brady, or Manning in terms of vocal leadership, players follow a winner. Players follow a guy who never gives up.

I'm extremely excited about the future: a full year to implement an offense to suit him, time to improve chemistry with his receivers, a slew of draft picks, some FA space, another year for young players to grow in the system. And another year to work with Harbaugh. This kid has amazing physical ability combined with unique intangibles. I can't say how impressed - and frankly surprised - I've been by his performance to date. Here's to hoping he keeps it up in two weeks.

Great post!

Couple thoughts - I would change:

"that distinguishes a good player from a great player."

To:

"that distinguishes a great player from an elite player."

And ask - honestly, what else is it that you need to see from this kid in order for you to believe in his leadership abilities?

Right now, I would have to think you are about the last man on the planet to question this characteristic in Kap.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tubbs, do you believe that Dalton is the better quarterback, and that he is just unable to show that he is better than Kaepernick because he doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast? I want to know how far you knock down Kaepernick because he happens to play for the Niners. He's pretty much had a 100 passer rating since he took over, and that stat doesn't even factor in his impact on the running game. I don't think too many other QB's could have played better for the Niners since Kaep took over, especially when you consider the running game.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Dalton is not a better QB. I think that Dalton would be better than he is now if he played for the Niners, but I don't think he would be a better QB than Kaep. I think Kaep could be better than the others. But to me the fact that Griffin and Wilson has as good if not better stats than Kaep and are rookies, havent gotten to sit and watch a year, and don't have as good teams around them shows a lot. I think both could do the exact same things on that team. Kaep has played great, but lets see what happens when there is more tape on him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great post!

Couple thoughts - I would change:

"that distinguishes a good player from a great player."

To:

"that distinguishes a great player from an elite player."

And ask - honestly, what else is it that you need to see from this kid in order for you to believe in his leadership abilities?

Right now, I would have to think you are about the last man on the planet to question this characteristic in Kap.

That correction is fair. Probably closer to what I meant to say.

As far as leadership, I have absolutely no questions on the field at this point. I'm not sure he's the outspoken leader type. Not sure how to confirm or deny this, and frankly I don't think it's entirely necessary. That said, defensive players were talking about how he talked to them just prior to that final stand and it had an effect on them. At this point I'm not worried about it. I'm just waiting to see a bit more of it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as leadership, I have absolutely no questions on the field at this point. I'm not sure he's the outspoken leader type. Not sure how to confirm or deny this, and frankly I don't think it's entirely necessary. That said, defensive players were talking about how he talked to them just prior to that final stand and it had an effect on them. At this point I'm not worried about it. I'm just waiting to see a bit more of it.

Fair enough...

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That to me speaks volumes. I must say, other than more time (like, playing more games), there's nothing that has been lacking from the kid. Since his first start (actually, since the first STL game), he has made plays which just make me say "wow", both with his legs and arm. I'm simply amazed and happy.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always believed Kaep was the 2nd best QB in that draft. Cam Newton was the clear cut #1 guy, but all the other guys taken ahead of Kaep did not have anywhere near his ability.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think part of that is that Crabtree and Manningham had to play how many games with Smith? You have to take that into account.

Yeah, that's true. You have to take into account that they were playing with Smith, who is a decent QB, for 8.5 games.

Wait, isn't that another plus in Kaep's favour? His WRs struggled with Smith, Kaep comes in and Crabtree starts looking like a 100 catch, 1400 yard, 14 TD guy.

I'd take Kaep over all 3 of the rookies. I don't see Griffin being much better, if at all. Add onto that RG3's injury and the unknown of his return and I would take Kaep in a heartbeat.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Kaep over all 3 of the rookies. I don't see Griffin being much better, if at all. Add onto that RG3's injury and the unknown of his return and I would take Kaep in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough that debate is going on in Seattle, with the obvious fan based conclusions. Strangely enough, I think they're probably all on a par with each other, but RGIIIs injury really kind of scares me about his longevity in this league.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Count on Shanarat to run RGIII into the ground (if he hasn't done already) like he did with Terrell Davis.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That to me speaks volumes. I must say, other than more time (like, playing more games), there's nothing that has been lacking from the kid. Since his first start (actually, since the first STL game), he has made plays which just make me say "wow", both with his legs and arm. I'm simply amazed and happy.

Here's another quote from the game Crimson -- regarding the whole leadership thingy.

In his spare time, Kaepernick leads cheers, doing so Sunday much more effectively than the dozens of scantily clad Falcons cheerleaders. The kid is relentless.
"He was telling us to keep plugging," Goodwin said, "telling the O-line to keep plugging, telling us on the sidelines and in the huddle, we had 'em on the brink, and I think he was right."

Read more: Kid quarterback cool as a Kaepernick - SFGate

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree RG3 would've had a monster year in a 49er uniform but I give CK the edge because I think he has a better arm, comparable speed, and better durability due to his size.

Also, Kaep got thrown in against a very hot Dee, he was sent to New Orleans, he had to go to New England and then when he was doubted and how Aaron Rogers will out perform him, he set a freaking record and spanked GB. Atlanta down by 17, hostile environment and he isn't faced by it .....The one thing i think CK has over the other young QB's is NERVES OF STEEL.....