• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"but it’s also expected to be challenged in court"

The challenger:

62d084b6b0ab4f001853ca9b

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Not a fan of Nancy.

/Or is that Nikki Haley?!?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like how old the candidates have been lately, and dont like people in office since prohibition, but think I would be be against a law with age restrictions.
Even if I like the effect it would have.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"but it’s also expected to be challenged in court"

The challenger:

62d084b6b0ab4f001853ca9b
Co-challenged with Moscow Mitch.

I dont like how old the candidates have been lately, and dont like people in office since prohibition, but think I would be be against a law with age restrictions.

But there is already a precedent for age limits, on the lower end. I guess Cramer doesn't know that.

Republican Sen. Kevin Cramer, who is seeking his second full Senate term and won an unopposed primary in North Dakota on Tuesday, said he opposes the measure and believes that voters should get to vote for whoever they want, regardless of age.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Co-challenged with Moscow Mitch.

But there is already a precedent for age limits, on the lower end. I guess Cramer doesn't know that.
I know, maybe its just me but a minimum age seems different than a max age. If those qualifications were not in place I am not sure I'd be in favor of adding them either.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, maybe its just me but a minimum age seems different than a max age. If those qualifications were not in place I am not sure I'd be in favor of adding them either.
Term limits for congress & senate seems like a better idea for you guys.

And for Canadian politicians. Come this fall 4 of Canada's last 5 PM's (not counting Campbell because she's a woman) have gone 9+ years in office and left almost universally hated (assuming Trudeau does leave some day). Doesn't seem ideal.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have age restrictions to be president...I see no problem.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the idea of not having people that old there, still just not sure it should be a law. While the majority of 80 years olds are probably not as sharp as they once were, some are perfectly fine and probably have a better historical perspective than most younger than them. I am not sure they should be punished (rewarded lol) with forced retirement. It does seem like ageism. And while I wouldn't want most 22 year olds as president or senator, some are mature enough and may have a better long term world view than some 15 years older than them. And maybe more ethical too. If there was no mandatory age I would be OK with that, but I am not sure the rules should be removed.

We could always just stop voting for old people.

Also if a law was going to be proposed I think 75 is a better number than 81.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean we still let Dash post on the regular boards and haven't banished him to SportsHoopla Senior yet and he is mostly fine. Except when he goes off on tangents about the good ol' days of listening to his favorite songs on the telegraph.

.... --- .-- / -- ..- -.-. .... / .. ... / - .... .- - / -.. --- --. --. -.-- / .. -. / - .... . / .-- .. -. -.. --- .-- ..--..

-eye roll- yeah I am sure that was a rockin' good time, Dash

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the idea of not having people that old there, still just not sure it should be a law. While the majority of 80 years olds are probably not as sharp as they once were, some are perfectly fine and probably have a better historical perspective than most younger than them. I am not sure they should be punished (rewarded lol) with forced retirement. It does seem like ageism. And while I wouldn't want most 22 year olds as president or senator, some are mature enough and may have a better long term world view than some 15 years older than them. And maybe more ethical too. If there was no mandatory age I would be OK with that, but I am not sure the rules should be removed.

We could always just stop voting for old people.

Also if a law was going to be proposed I think 75 is a better number than 81.
And I know many youngsters that have a better understanding of history and constitutional law than many seniors.

Bottom line, probably the best solution is to implement a comprehensive civics test prior to running or re-running.

We could have weeded out the likes of Trump, Boebert, and MTG

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I know many youngsters that have a better understanding of history and constitutional law than many seniors.

Bottom line, probably the best solution is to implement a comprehensive civics test prior to running or re-running.

We could have weeded out the likes of Trump, Boebert, and MTG
is there an actual intelligence test to hold a major position in politics? like a BAR exam style?

Loco2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Term limits for congress & senate seems like a better idea for you guys.

Why not both term limits and an age limit?

The 25/30/35 age minimums are there for good reason to make sure young office seekers have gained some wisdom. Max age limits are long overdue and need to be in place for similar logic related to cognitive decline given the fact that your typical person now lives much longer. Some of our longest serving Senators (Byrd, Thurmond) and presidents (Reagan, Biden) got by on their name years after they were fit for their office.

This limit is also supported by strong majorities of both parties - 82% of Republicans and 76% of Democrats support putting a maximum age limit in place for elected officials in Washington, D.C. With both minimum and maximum, you lose out on some who could do the job, of course. But you avoid disaster scenarios.

A live broadcast of this during primary season would be amazing.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Threaten existing citizens with the same test required for immigrants to obtain citizenship and maybe we'd end up with a more knowledgeable populace. At least deport those who fail to Mississippi. That would limit the number of people being uprooted.