• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also that's what you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean - I kid, I kid, could you imagine a world without lawyers?

Oh SUUURE. You can say that. But when I do it all hell breaks loose.

CANADIAN BIAS

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Supreme Court justices.
No lifetime appointments. All need to be given terms. But I am against term limits in America. we are already one of the laziest countries when it comes to voting. In fact, it should be a requirement to vote or be fined/taxed. Voting is term limits. Hell, I'm for removing the presidential term limits.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No lifetime appointments. All need to be given terms. But I am against term limits in America. we are already one of the laziest countries when it comes to voting. In fact, it should be a requirement to vote or be fined/taxed. Voting is term limits. Hell, I'm for removing the presidential term limits.

I think it's mandatory to vote in Australia.

/Not mandatory in Canada

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

200w.gif

He wants the US to manufacture something that isn't "manufactured" in the hopes that it will make up "energy independant" because faking it consumes so much energy?

Loco2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also that's what you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean - I kid, I kid, could you imagine a world without lawyers?

Loco: "Hey hockey hall of famer and attorney, Ken Dryden, [Editor's note: I start all my calls by identifying their profession, it's normal, don't worry about it] my friend Dash asked what the world would be like without lawyers."
Ken: "He makes me very sad. Playing hockey and serving in parliament were fun, but becouming a lawyer was my greatest achievement. To answer his question, we wouldn't have America which was founded moustly by lawyers and your friend would be dead, either because there was no criminal prousecutors to send vicious criminals to jail or because a chemical company has poisoned his water supply."
Loco: "Wow... I never thought about it like that. Also, it's really cool that when you talk I can even hear the extra 'u's."
Ken: "It just comes natural to us."

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Dryden also took on Sam Pollock and sat out the 73-74 season over a contract dispute. The Habs lost in the play-off quarter-finals and Dryden was back between the pipes for the 74-75 season.

Ken put that law degree he earned at Cornell to good use lol

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:clap:

The court found that the FDA’s challengers lacked the standing to bring the case, as they “do not prescribe or use mifepristone” and instead “seek to challenge FDA’s regulation of others.”

Well said. Except now that opens the door for a hippocratic, er, hypocritical doctor to bring the suit.

Loco2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest opinion - I've said for years they should close 50 law schools and open 50 more med schools (currently have 198 and 155 accredited schools respectively). We really do need less lawyers and a lot more doctors. That balance is not right especially given that law school is much shorter than med school.

While there really are some disgusting lawyers out there (I once had an interview where a guy joked he was so rich his car ran on baby seal blood, only interview I've ever had where I knew I didn't want the job before it started), but there are mostly a lot of great ones too. Judges/prosecutors who tolerate death threats, people fighting big corporations, nonprofit attorneys struggling to pay their student loans, etc. I know a few corporate lawyer types who are clearly just cashing in and I don't have much respect for them, though I certainly understand them wanting a better future for their family. And I have friends that put away pedophiles, fight student loan companies who disregard federal law, and represent elderly people in abusive senior homes. It's not really different from the spectrum of most good/bad people you meet. So I totally get the lawyer jokes and there's a kernel of truth in any joke, and I think my reaction to them is not so much the joke, but the society receiving that joke. A society uninterested in complexity and nuance and working to understand their fellow humans, but one that craves easy answers, those to blame, and personal attention over actually improving our society and having empathy/caring for those within it.