• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk: 7 Words You Can't Say to Jack Johnson

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

I'll say this, the vast majority of lawyers I have met and conducted business with have all been very professional and just awesome people to work with. Maybe there's a little luck involved on my end, but the guys who stick with their chosen profession for a long period of time generally seem to be very good at that profession.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

I'll say this, the vast majority of lawyers I have met and conducted business with have all been very professional and just awesome people to work with. Maybe there's a little luck involved on my end, but the guys who stick with their chosen profession for a long period of time generally seem to be very good at that profession.
Lawyers are always amazing when they are on your side lol....

Loco2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

I'd say the same thing about nearly every police officer I've ever met. Why can't we mock lawyers but also recognize the great things they do? Why can't we hate Hamas and Israel's hawkish slaughter of innocent people? Why can't I support cops but also think reform is important? Life is nuanced and complicated, but our societal/political discussions are anything but.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest opinion - I've said for years they should close 50 law schools and open 50 more med schools (currently have 198 and 155 accredited schools respectively). We really do need less lawyers and a lot more doctors. That balance is not right especially given that law school is much shorter than med school.

While there really are some disgusting lawyers out there (I once had an interview where a guy joked he was so rich his car ran on baby seal blood, only interview I've ever had where I knew I didn't want the job before it started), but there are mostly a lot of great ones too. Judges/prosecutors who tolerate death threats, people fighting big corporations, nonprofit attorneys struggling to pay their student loans, etc. I know a few corporate lawyer types who are clearly just cashing in and I don't have much respect for them, though I certainly understand them wanting a better future for their family. And I have friends that put away pedophiles, fight student loan companies who disregard federal law, and represent elderly people in abusive senior homes. It's not really different from the spectrum of most good/bad people you meet. So I totally get the lawyer jokes and there's a kernel of truth in any joke, and I think my reaction to them is not so much the joke, but the society receiving that joke. A society uninterested in complexity and nuance and working to understand their fellow humans, but one that craves easy answers, those to blame, and personal attention over actually improving our society and having empathy/caring for those within it.
Canada has like 2500 med school spots total for a population of 40 million+ with a shit ton of doctors retiring, a bit of a brain drain problem and an immigration system that at best can be described as unregulated adding up to 4%/yr in population.

Just under half of the universities that have these spots also allow foreign students to apply for them so there's an even greater deficit.

We also have a problem accrediting doctors with foreign credentials, and not just from third world countries like India or the US but Germany and Switzerland.

Yeah it's a bit of a problem.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawyers are always amazing when they are on your side lol....
Encountering many on the "other side" has tainted my experience a tad.

Although one of my favorite things is after I give a deposition and the other side just decides to plead guilty. Very satisfying.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish they were all good boys like this one

GP5VP3sXsAAbvOC

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest opinion - I've said for years they should close 50 law schools and open 50 more med schools (currently have 198 and 155 accredited schools respectively). We really do need less lawyers and a lot more doctors. That balance is not right especially given that law school is much shorter than med school.

While there really are some disgusting lawyers out there (I once had an interview where a guy joked he was so rich his car ran on baby seal blood, only interview I've ever had where I knew I didn't want the job before it started), but there are mostly a lot of great ones too. Judges/prosecutors who tolerate death threats, people fighting big corporations, nonprofit attorneys struggling to pay their student loans, etc. I know a few corporate lawyer types who are clearly just cashing in and I don't have much respect for them, though I certainly understand them wanting a better future for their family. And I have friends that put away pedophiles, fight student loan companies who disregard federal law, and represent elderly people in abusive senior homes. It's not really different from the spectrum of most good/bad people you meet. So I totally get the lawyer jokes and there's a kernel of truth in any joke, and I think my reaction to them is not so much the joke, but the society receiving that joke. A society uninterested in complexity and nuance and working to understand their fellow humans, but one that craves easy answers, those to blame, and personal attention over actually improving our society and having empathy/caring for those within it.

Your honour this post is auspicious, benevolent, MAGNANIMOUS!

kramer-smile.gif

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lawyer’s dog is running about unleashed. It beelines for a butcher shop and steals a roast.
The butcher goes to the lawyer’s office and asks: “If a dog running unleashed steals a piece of meat from my store, do I have a right to demand payment for the meat from the dog’s owner?”

The lawyer answers: “Absolutely”. “Then you owe me $8.50. Your dog was loose and stole a roast from me today.”

The lawyer, without a word, writes the butcher a check for $8.50.
In a few days, the butcher opens the mail and finds an envelope from the lawyer. Inside is an invoice that reads: “$20 due for a consultation.”

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Just like your better prostitutes

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak charming the Italian Prime Minister
g1ix6erkud6d1.png

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rishi will be thrilled to hear it

Apparently Rishi is a big Southampton Saints fan and wanted to meet Saints gaffer Russell Martin, but Martin is no fan of Rishi and refused to meet him lol