• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach's Challenge?

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Topic came up during the Detroit/Minnesota game last night, thanks to a Red Wings goal that was waved off.

Pierre Maguire suggested (and yes, I realize that this kills any credability to the notion right there for some of you :D) that it could work like this:

If the team making the challenge has not yet used their timeout, they would lose it if the initial call was upheld.

If they had already used their timeout, they would get a Delay Of Game penalty if the initial call was upheld.

So; what do you think? Is this accepable, or would you suggest something else - or do we even need a Coach's Challenge in the first place?

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a good idea. The game is so fast, and the refs just aren't always going to be in the right position to make the correct call.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the punishments and I think a challenge would be a good idea in some situations.

The difficulty I see is in defining what can be challenged and not.

Puck over the glass? Absolutely.

High sticking (penalty, not on puck)? Do you allow them to challenge a non-call that was actually a high stick? What about a call that wasn't an actual high stick?

Offsides that leads to a goal? How long after the missed offsides do you have before the goal can no longer be waived off?

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the penalty part.

I like the way the NFL does it.
If you still have a timeout, you still have a challenge. If you used your timeout, you have no challenge ability.

Question is, what would be reviewable? do they make a clear, concise list of what sort of calls are reviewable, or in typical NHL fashion do they leave it to be subjective

---------------------------------------------------
'Canes had a goalie interference call the other night where Staal in the replay clearly made every attempt to avoid, was pushed towards the goalie, and there was barely contact. In fact if I remember right, the defenders stick hit the goalies skate which made him stumble a bit.
Would a review there have changed that call? Or is "interference" too subjective to the ref interpretations? Like the NFL, would they need "indisputable evidence" to overturn a call that is already based non pure judgement? Similar to why you never see a pass interference call challenged in the NFL, it's never 100% clear either way to overturn.

Goals are already reviewed.

The offsides goal last week would have been a clear good use of the replay. That is black and white, no grey area, clearly offsides.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the penalty part.

I like the way the NFL does it.
If you still have a timeout, you still have a challenge. If you used your timeout, you have no challenge ability.

Question is, what would be reviewable? do they make a clear, concise list of what sort of calls are reviewable, or in typical NHL fashion do they leave it to be subjective

---------------------------------------------------
'Canes had a goalie interference call the other night where Staal in the replay clearly made every attempt to avoid, was pushed towards the goalie, and there was barely contact. In fact if I remember right, the defenders stick hit the goalies skate which made him stumble a bit.
Would a review there have changed that call? Or is "interference" too subjective to the ref interpretations? Like the NFL, would they need "indisputable evidence" to overturn a call that is already based non pure judgement? Similar to why you never see a pass interference call challenged in the NFL, it's never 100% clear either way to overturn.

Goals are already reviewed.

The offsides goal last week would have been a clear good use of the replay. That is black and white, no grey area, clearly offsides.

I'm not a fan of that personally. I know the NFL wants to keep the games going (right, who am I kidding, they don't want the game cutting into their commercials), but I'd rather have it be a punitive thing if they don't have the timeouts left. Hand them a 15 yard penalty if they're wrong.

That seems like the best way to really make a coach think twice before challenging.