• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, but each team is only able to make a decision for their team alone. They can't pull up the slack for others not hiring one. If they don't see a guy who fits or if the guy who they picked is more likely to help them, then I don't think they should hurt themselves to be diverse. The one where I think could have been argued would be Horton, but I don't know about him as a coach. Nothing told me that that was racial.

The other, I guess, could be Lovie Smith - he succeeded a bit in Chicago, so one could argue that the firing was racial (though I don't see that being said much - though reporting could be racial?) or the subsequent non-hiring as a HC - he rejected OC/DC as an option, so no complaint there. I can't look at one year and make a judgment, back when there were no minority coaches, it was easier to see, saying surely one of you could do well with one of them (don't mean anything bad by "them" just meaning minority).

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mark Long:

Jaguars HC Gus Bradley says Seattle DL coach Todd Wash & Chicago LB coach Bob Babich are "in strong consideration" for DC job

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kyndra de St. Aubin:

Arians very emotional with first statement. 15th move for he and his fam.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manish Mehta:

Jets have interviewed at least 5 people for OC job: Marty Mornhinwig, Cam Cameron, Pep Hamilton, Joe Lombardi & Pat Shurmur #nyj

Mornhinweg and Cameron are interesting pairs for Rex.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Lombardi has personnel control like the title suggests, this makes Alex Smith to Cleveland less likely. I remember his comments on Alex being less than favorable. That was before and during the first year of Harbaugh, IIRC. I can't imagine this year, despite the good play, affecting that, with Kaep's play being better. Now, I'm rooting for Alex to go elsewhere.

Well, remember Baalke had somewhat negative comments about Alex Smith when he first took over. Saying, "The QB of the future is not on the roster" that was with Alex still on the roster for a few more days.

Then Harbaugh said he could work with him... maybe Norv will do the same thing and say he can work with Smith until they find the QB they really want in the draft.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kent Somers:

Arians very straight forward on Horton leaving. Lauds Horton but didn't want players' loyalty divided.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just announced today but there was alot of talk he'd go back to Cleveland in some kind of role. Many thought it would be with Chip Kelly if he had gone there. I thought that when the Kelly/Cleveland thing didn't happen that that would mean that Lombardi wouldn't be leaving NFL Network. Also, just to add a little something. The 49ers were thought to have considered Michael Lombardi when the whole McCloughan thing blew up but I don't know how far that went or didn't go.

They might have, didn't they give Lombardi an interview after they fired Singletary?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Garafolo:

It's official: Todd Bowles has been released from his contract by the Eagles. Next stop, Arizona.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess they could expand the Rooney Rule to Coordinator Jobs and the 2nd-3rd in command front office jobs to give the guys more exposure. Although it probably won't make much of a difference since most times these guys lock into a certain candidate and just follow the rooney rule as a step in the process. Well, at least that is how it seems to me, they just do it because they are required to... like Singletary getting an interview in Chicago when they wanted an offensive-minded coach.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, remember Baalke had somewhat negative comments about Alex Smith when he first took over. Saying, "The QB of the future is not on the roster" that was with Alex still on the roster for a few more days.

Then Harbaugh said he could work with him... maybe Norv will do the same thing and say he can work with Smith until they find the QB they really want in the draft.

I think he needs to believe he can beat out a rookie and stave him off, but I wonder if he'll want to wait until after the draft if we release him prior to sign anywhere. He doesn't want to be Kaepernick'd again, not that he really has a choice if that future guy is drafted. All I can say is that Alex was never safe except for his first or second year here. He must have felt the best right before he got the concussion, though he couldn't ever think he was absolutely safe.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

The Jets have hired John Idzik, formerly of the Seahawks, as their new GM. Done deal. Negotiations are complete

This should be interesting to see who'll replace him. I wouldn't doubt if he's replaced quickly.