• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason La Canfora:

Just going to reiterate what I first reported earlier tonight. still sounds like Todd Bowles ends up in AZ and Ray Horton ends up in CLE

I know my comments are and have been Smith centric and will be even more so because Roman appears now to stay here (so less relevance Niners wise out there) - I wonder if this strengthens chances of Smith to Cleveland if this happens. Arizona's one brighter spot was their defense. With Norv as the OC and a DC that was at least somewhat responsible for Arizona's D goes there, all they need is a running team, which they may or may not have. Don't know if the coach likes Weeden enough to stick with him. Competition couldn't hurt. If Alex has any say, I'd assume he'd want to have some assurance of starting, but nothing is guaranteed. I think he could beat out Weeden since Norv is there.

I also like how Norv's system is more pass-oriented. If you take Smith's ball protection that he's gained since the first go around with Norv and add a more pass friendly offense, his numbers will rise. Plus, there might be some more garbage time, unfortunately involved so that might artificially boost numbers. I'm assuming his is more pass friendly, but that might have been Rivers' influence on it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland fans have to be excited about Horton and Norv. Now they just need 16-game starters in the first three rounds of the draft.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think if Lombardi has personnel control like the title suggests, this makes Alex Smith to Cleveland less likely. I remember his comments on Alex being less than favorable. That was before and during the first year of Harbaugh, IIRC. I can't imagine this year, despite the good play, affecting that, with Kaep's play being better. Now, I'm rooting for Alex to go elsewhere.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It was just announced today but there was alot of talk he'd go back to Cleveland in some kind of role. Many thought it would be with Chip Kelly if he had gone there. I thought that when the Kelly/Cleveland thing didn't happen that that would mean that Lombardi wouldn't be leaving NFL Network. Also, just to add a little something. The 49ers were thought to have considered Michael Lombardi when the whole McCloughan thing blew up but I don't know how far that went or didn't go.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I haven't been keeping track. Are there any coaching vacancies left now?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rick Stroud:

John McNulty expected to be announced as the Bucs QB coach. DL coach Randy Melvin has been let go. Other staff moves likely.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Former Cardinals DC Ray Horton expected to become Browns new DC. And as @MikeSilver reported, Todd Bowles expected to become DC in Arizona.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I knew you'd like that. I remember having a discussion previously.

-----------

Jay Glazer: Falcons today promoted a good man Steve Sabo to College Scouting Director

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scott Petrak:

Browns CEO Banner on Lombardi: "Listen, I understand that I'm going out on the limb myself by hiring Mike. So I didn't do this casually."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the good news about Lombardi going there, we won't have to hear his opinions on everything. To me, he seemed bitter about us not picking him to be GM. Don't remember the article, but it seemed like he was so sure of himself and upset with us. I don't know what he's done besides being born to a famous father and NFL Network. I'm sure he's done a lot I don't know.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Calvin Watkins:

Filed to ESPNDallas.com Rod Marinelli is visiting Cowboys officials today at Valley Ranch.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

A lot of people, me included, though Marinelli to Dallas might be a slam dunk. But I'm hearing that's not the case...

Marinelli worked with Gus Bradley in the past and is being considered for his staff in Jacksonville as well. He lives in Florida

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Larry Holder:

Saints quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi interviewed for the New York Jets offensive coordinator job on Wednesday, sources say.

Rich Cimini:

Saints quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi interviewed for the New York Jets offensive coordinator job on Wednesday, sources say.