• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cutler will thrive under Trestman - Great move by Chicago, IMO.

It does seem like a good move. Steve Young sure is fan of him. Kind of cool that they took a guy from the CFL and not just a current coordinator re-tread.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like a good move. Steve Young sure is a fan of him. Kind of cool that they took a guy from the CFL and not just a current coordinator re-tread.

I agree. He has a pretty strong resume when it comes to QB's. One thing is for sure, as a "QB guy" he will adress the O'Line issue. If Cutler can have a smooth and quick transition into his 4th system then the Bears, Cutler and a WCO style offense could be very effective in 2013, IMO.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC got a good one in Dave Toub...he will be missed. Best ST coach in the league IMO.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@mortreport: Chip Kelly is the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources. No announcement yet.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mortreport: Chip Kelly is the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources. No announcement yet.

Crazy! Lesean McCoy's fantasy value just went up. I wonder who will be their starting QB next year? Foles doesn't seem like the best fit...

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jay Glazer:

Yes I can confirm Chip Kelly is going to Eagles.

Wow! This is going to be interesting. The reaction from Oregon should be something else. I wonder what ultimately changed his mind? Money would be the easy answer, but it sounds like Phil Knight was compensating him well.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
@JayGlazer: Yes I can confirm Chip Kelly is going to Eagles.

Looks like he got the personnel control he wanted. I'm wonder if the Eagles watched Kaep and Wilson this weekend and finally decided that they needed to go in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Glazer:

Yes I can confirm Chip Kelly is going to Eagles.

Wow! This is going to be interesting. The reaction from Oregon should be something else. I wonder what ultimately changed his mind? Money would be the easy answer, but it sounds like Phil Knight was compensating him well.

If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, I'd say he got word of how bad those sanctions coming might be.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) It was TobyTyler/NolanNonsense (same guy, different name at the time), who mocked the Jim Tomsula hire because he came from NFL Europe. He said only the 49ers would hire somebody from NFL Europe. I posted several names of other coaches who had NFL Europe experience and I got no response.

I posted the fact that Bill Belichick wanted to hire him to his staff but already had the DC and DL coaches spots filled and Tomsula wasn't going to move his family for a job lower than position coach or coordinator, so he didn't join NE's staff. Once again, I got no response from him after I posted that (or not one that I could find).

2) Chip Kelly does not need a mobile QB in order to run his system or even an alteration of his system, which is probably what you'll see in the NFL. I'm tired of reading that about Kelly. A very mobile QB is not an absolute requirement in Kelly's system.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Chicago Bears hire Marc Trestman as head coach

At least he wasn't from NFL Europe, otherwise he couldn't coach. ;) He, thankfully, is from the CFL.

Didn't he get a lot of unfair criticism as the 49ers OC back in 1995 and 1996? I seem to remember that guy getting crucified by the Bay Area media when they were eliminated in the playoffs.

Should be interesting to see what he can do with the Bears. Also interested in how he is going to fix that offensive line, which is really the source of their offensive woes.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) It was TobyTyler/NolanNonsense (same guy, different name at the time), who mocked the Jim Tomsula hire because he came from NFL Europe. He said only the 49ers would hire somebody from NFL Europe. I posted several names of other coaches who had NFL Europe experience and I got no response.

I posted the fact that Bill Belichick wanted to hire him to his staff but already had the DC and DL coaches spots filled and Tomsula wasn't going to move his family for a job lower than position coach or coordinator, so he didn't join NE's staff. Once again, I got no response from him after I posted that (or not one that I could find).

2) Chip Kelly does not need a mobile QB in order to run his system or even an alteration of his system, which is probably what you'll see in the NFL. I'm tired of reading that about Kelly. A very mobile QB is not an absolute requirement in Kelly's system.

No he doesn't need a mobile QB but I do think they bring Vick back at a vastly reduced rate.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saints OL coach Aaron Kromer is expected to be Trestman's offensive coordinator. That's a heck of a hire for Trestman to get him to leave if true. Interesting fit.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yup, I agree. This was brought up in a past grantland article:

Kelly explained that he merely needs a quarterback who, if the defense "forces" him to run, "can do it effectively." Although this rules out some of the NFL's best quarterbacks — from Peyton Manning to Tom Brady — it doesn't mean that his offense requires Cam Newton or RG3. Every year, the high school and college ranks are producing more and more quarterbacks who aren't utterly devoid of athleticism.

The success of Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks offense is more familiar than it seems - Grantland

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick will be cut. Then they can sign him for whatever they want. He isn't going to have many suitors that run an offense that can highlight his skill set like Kelly. Though Foles isn't completely unathletic. He could fit well too. Or they could draft a guy.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So apparently he'll be OL coach, too. Sheesh. I still can't stand building around Cutler, but the Bears have a decent start.

Adam Schefter: Former Saints interim head coach Aaron Kromer has accepted the Offensive coordinator and offensive line coaching job with the Chicago Bears.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Albert Breer:

Hearing the idea of hiring John Idzik intrigues the Jets. Has business sense, and Seahawks have put him on the road to scout of late too.

One more thing on that: word early was Jets absolutely wanted a football side guy, but saying that, and hiring one are two different things.

I know Gamble removed his name from consideration and appears to be safe (somehow) for another season, but Gamble has a background on both sides - football and business.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
KC hired Andy Heck as their OL coach. He's been Jacksonville's OL coach since 2004 but was allowed to leave.