• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clowney wants ATL to trade up and draft him

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Clowney. This guy would have gone 1st overall in last years draft. So what if he was protecting himself a bit. He watched as one of his teammates injured his knee two years in a row. I really don't blame him. His numbers during his sophomore season were awesome. If he doesn't go 1st overall the Rams are in a great spot. I would demand the same type of deal from Atlanta as they got for RGIII. If Atlanta says no, the Rams should take Clowney. Heck they should take him anyway.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Clowney. This guy would have gone 1st overall in last years draft. So what if he was protecting himself a bit. He watched as one of his teammates injured his knee two years in a row. I really don't blame him. His numbers during his sophomore season were awesome. If he doesn't go 1st overall the Rams are in a great spot. I would demand the same type of deal from Atlanta as they got for RGIII. If Atlanta says no, the Rams should take Clowney. Heck they should take him anyway.

We're in the same camp on that issue, but it's also the reason you can't give up the farm for him. There's some baggage there you have to weigh.

STL is set @ DE, so I wouldn't try to get max for him...with ATL, I'd be content with swapping 1st rounders and picking up a 3rd because they can still get their player @ 6, and have 44, 68, & 75. If you try to squeeze them for too much...Mack and Barr start to look a lot better.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the same camp on that issue, but it's also the reason you can't give up the farm for him. There's some baggage there you have to weigh.

STL is set @ DE, so I wouldn't try to get max for him...with ATL, I'd be content with swapping 1st rounders and picking up a 3rd because they can still get their player @ 6, and have 44, 68, & 75. If you try to squeeze them for too much...Mack and Barr start to look a lot better.

The Falcons are in the same spot the Redskins were when they made the RGII trade. If I were the Rams I'd demand the 6th pick & next years 1st or no deal. I don't care if they're set at DE. This is a team that has to face Wilson & Kaepernick twice a year. If they want to win they better be able to get to the QB. If they have a shot at drafting Clowney they better think long & hard before passing up the opportunity.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons are in the same spot the Redskins were when they made the RGII trade. If I were the Rams I'd demand the 6th pick & next years 1st or no deal. I don't care if they're set at DE. This is a team that has to face Wilson & Kaepernick twice a year. If they want to win they better be able to get to the QB. If they have a shot at drafting Clowney they better think long & hard before passing up the opportunity.

Worth mentioning that Quinn is in his 4th (contract) year, and will be a high-$ 4-3 DE possibly testing the market. The Panthers are in the same game with Greg Hardy now, and it's going to cost 12.5 mil to play.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he runs fast and has shown an ability to get to the QB in college.... when he wants to.

No one can sit there and say he doesn't have some commitment question marks honestly. Shit, even his head coach has said as much.

He's a freak athlete but obviously isn't one of those guys who just loves the game wholeheartedly. I have 1 name for those of you who'd wager all you got on Clowney:

Aaron Curry

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but all I see is BUST.

Guy just isn't committed to football, and it was obvious all season long. He's in it for the paycheck. Guys like that don't last long in this league.

Yes, he has the measurables.......but so have a LOT of players before him. All the talent in the world means SQUAT if you don't have the will and desire to utilize it fully. Hell he didn't even dominate in college.....

I'd consider drafting him, but NOT giving up picks to do so. ATL has waaaaay too many needs to be giving up picks. Hell they gave up what, 7 players for Julio Jones?

They need OL, DL, and secondary help. You don't build a winner by giving away draft picks, something a LOT of teams haven't learned yet. This is why the Patriots contend year in and year out......they shop for MORE picks, not less.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guy just isn't committed to football, and it was obvious all season long. He's in it for the paycheck. Guys like that don't last long in this league.

Yes, he has the measurables.......but so have a LOT of players before him. All the talent in the world means SQUAT if you don't have the will and desire to utilize it fully. Hell he didn't even dominate in college.....

I'd consider drafting him, but NOT giving up picks to do so. ATL has waaaaay too many needs to be giving up picks. Hell they gave up what, 7 players for Julio Jones?

They need OL, DL, and secondary help. You don't build a winner by giving away draft picks, something a LOT of teams haven't learned yet. This is why the Patriots contend year in and year out......they shop for MORE picks, not less.

Interesting points.

Bust...the label follows overhyped talent. He could very well bust, but the talent is there.

Paycheck...I get your point, some guys just love playing football, but only the foolish are out there for the fun of it.

ATL...agree with you 100% here...because the Falcons do have so many holes and this draft presents an opportunity to fill several with quality players, it's unlikely they will make any kind of major deal to move up. If they offered more than #6 & #68 I would be shocked.

NE...again I get your point, but you're giving them too much credit from a draft standpoint imo...Brady, solid OL, and a terrible AFCE are the reasons NE is always in contention.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Big difference...WAS was all in for a QB...period.

Clowney imo is the best prospect, but some analysts are on record saying they like Mack better and Barr is there...ATL has other NEEDED options at the top of the draft including Robinson, Lewan or Matthews. Julio has turned out to be a very good player, but they would be real foolish to mortgage more picks with so many areas of need.

Keeping him...no harm in that, but I wouldn't pass up an extra 3rd and get a top 10 pick if I was already set at that position.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chandler Jones (Patriots) was the same way coming out of college. Played not to get hurt his final season with a ton of upside. I don't think Clowney will make an instant impact, but give him a year or two and he will be producing well barring any significant injuries.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference...WAS was all in for a QB...period.

Clowney imo is the best prospect, but some analysts are on record saying they like Mack better and Barr is there...ATL has other NEEDED options at the top of the draft including Robinson, Lewan or Matthews. Julio has turned out to be a very good player, but they would be real foolish to mortgage more picks with so many areas of need.

Keeping him...no harm in that, but I wouldn't pass up an extra 3rd and get a top 10 pick if I was already set at that position.

There's no way I would accept a 3rd & the 6th pick overall for the 2nd pick overall. Like I said I would demand next years 1st round pick. If Atlanta says no I take Clowney.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way I would accept a 3rd & the 6th pick overall for the 2nd pick overall. Like I said I would demand next years 1st round pick. If Atlanta says no I take Clowney.

I hear ya, and I'm not saying that's a bad move to take him, but I'm not pulling this out my a--, market value is what it is...MIA gave up 12th & 42nd to OAK to move up the #3 LY.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been seeing things in the paper and online that suggest the Texans could be leaning Clowney .... which I believe are smoke screens to test to see if anyone else wants him bad enough to pay a king's ransom for the first pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely a smokescreen...I think Clowney has just enough "issues" that will keep a team from overpaying.

I think he's a great talent, but not enough separation from him, Mack or Barr that someone will go all in for him. At least those are my thoughts...here in ATL, even the people that really want him acknowledge that they can't afford another "Julio" deal.

If TD made a blockbuster deal for Clowney and failed to land an OT, he will be fired more than likely.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best thing for JD right now is to fall to mid-round. That would certainly wake him up enough to work harder to prove all the doubters wrong.

Won't happen, though. Smarter football minds than any of us on this board will take him with one of the first three or five picks.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best thing for JD right now is to fall to mid-round. That would certainly wake him up enough to work harder to prove all the doubters wrong.

Won't happen, though. Smarter football minds than any of us on this board will take him with one of the first three or five picks.

Good point on dropping.

I'm not so sure they are smarter, when you look at some of the players picked over the years, but they do get paid...well.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you actually watch Clowney play rather than listen to ESPN's obvious pot-stirring media drama you'll realize he is a true beast who will succeed at the next level.

How are you a fan of two SEC East teams?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Ford is actually the guy that fits the Brandon Graham mold. Fast riser based on a couple of dominating college performances but doesn't have the measurables to play at the next level.

Going full homer here but Ealy is a safer bet than Murphy or Barr. Ealy is an Michael Bennett kind of DE. Murphy is a motor guy that lacks explosiveness. I could see Murphy having a good career but I agree that he wouldn't last in a 4-3. Not a huge fan of Barr.

Clowney isn't safe but if he busts, its because of his work ethic. Honestly, I think he needs 'haters' at this stage. I could see him being dominant for about 4-5 years and then pulling a Haynesworth if he gets the wrong coach or the wrong team and is asked to play a position he doesn't want to play

If he goes to Atlanta he will not like how his seasons will end each year. Saints are one of the rare teams with a revamped OL that he will not bulldoze through.