• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clock/game mismanagement

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talib.gif

Clyde, I've got a man crush on your impeccable timing with the perfect GIFs every fucking time. I have never seen that before and that is piss my shorts hilarious. :laugh3:

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Other than Boldin we have no other receivers. This is why I am begging us to trade up for Watkins in this draft. Aint no way a player of Watkins caliber would be so ineffective (one-on-one coverage) on the outside. Our defense keeps playing well enough for us to win, our inability to pass protect and pass the ball when protection is good is the main reason/s as to why we are losing. We need another weapon on the outside. Lord why can't anyone else see this???

A very cautious free agency last summer, we do need wr and cb, ng, and maybe a center, rb!! Go 49ers!! Must win on the road vs. Redskins!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A very cautious free agency last summer, we do need wr and cb, ng, and maybe a center, rb!! Go 49ers!! Must win on the road vs. Redskins!!

Not sure I agree with RB on that list. Gore has another year or two in him, I believe Hunter could be an every down back in this league and we don't even know what we have in Lattimore yet. It's one of the stronger positions on the team along with LB

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure I agree with RB on that list. Gore has another year or two in him, I believe Hunter could be an every down back in this league and we don't even know what we have in Lattimore yet. It's one of the stronger positions on the team along with LB

I am looking for more production overall! Kap has not run as often, I guess Dixon is the short yardage back!! Have been using Hunter, LMJ on draws, slip screens, wheel routes like they were used in college!! Most of our rbs have had major injuries already! Go 49ers!!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Jim Harbaugh arrived in 2011, the 49ers have ranked among the NFL leaders in one unofficial category: offensive creativity.

They have completed passes to their left tackle and to a 330-pound nose guard who, at the time, was moonlighting at fullback. They've run old-school plays - most notably, the fly sweep - and have also been on the cutting edge: They were out in front of the read-option craze that swept the NFL last year.

What happened to this coach? Now we have the league's most predictable offense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am looking for more production overall! Kap has not run as often, I guess Dixon is the short yardage back!! Have been using Hunter, LMJ on draws, slip screens, wheel routes like they were used in college!! Most of our rbs have had major injuries already! Go 49ers!!

That goes to how they are using RBs, though, not the caliber of the RBs they have. I'm ok with them taking a RB at some point next year, but certainly not in the first three our four rounds. Between Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon, Lattimore, and Hampton, there is a ton of depth at that position.

This coaching staff is very good at the power running game. Outside of that, I don't think they are particularly special. And we're starting to see the result of that. The passing game is atrocious. Perhaps more concerning, given the team's tendency toward the run, are the struggles running off-tackle or utilizing screens. That goes to your complaint, Robert. I noticed quite some time ago that the team didn't seem to block as well when Hunter was in the game. It seemed like every time we had Hunter out there, the D would immediately get a defender into the backfield. I figured it was just a fluky thing, as it doesn't make sense that simply changing the RB would have a dramatic effect on the blocking. But last week, it dawned on me that it's because we try to run outside with Hunter, and we do a shitty job blocking outside runs.

For whatever reason, our OL and TEs who excel in the power game - including pulling and making tough second-level blocks on a regular basis - seem incapable of making blocks on the move to the outside. I think this has to be a coaching problem first and foremost. The same thing happens on screens. The OL just don't seem to understand how to block in space on outside plays.

A lot of fingers have been pointed a lot of places this season, but I think the lion's share of the blame has to fall on the coaching staff. Can they adjust when teams are successfully defending their strength? Last year they could. This year, the answer is a resounding "no." If these struggles continue, I will be looking for changes on the coaching staff during the offseason. This team has far too much offensive talent to be so bad on that side of the ball.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Since Jim Harbaugh arrived in 2011, the 49ers have ranked among the NFL leaders in one unofficial category: offensive creativity.

They have completed passes to their left tackle and to a 330-pound nose guard who, at the time, was moonlighting at fullback. They've run old-school plays - most notably, the fly sweep - and have also been on the cutting edge: They were out in front of the read-option craze that swept the NFL last year.

What happened to this coach? Now we have the league's most predictable offense.

I think the creativity has been overstated. They are very diverse and creative in their running looks. The passing game - with the exception of the occasional pass to Staley or Sopoaga, has never been all that creative or original.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the creativity has been overstated. They are very diverse and creative in their running looks. The passing game - with the exception of the occasional pass to Staley or Sopoaga, has never been all that creative or original.

The wheel route to the fullback in Washington for the TD that Smith threw stood out as did the pass to Staley.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wheel route to the fullback in Washington for the TD that Smith threw stood out as did the pass to Staley.

I wish the Jets hadn't noticed that Kaepernick was lined up as WR and call timeout. Smith to Kaepernick would have been awesome and symbolic.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the Jets hadn't noticed that Kaepernick was lined up as WR and call timeout. Smith to Kaepernick would have been awesome and symbolic.

Nice!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not much from Patton or McDonald or LMJ this year!! We need an athletic Center!

Well Patton was injured pretty much all offseason and most of the regular season. No doubt the other two guys have been underused. Though both have been disappointing when they've been given opportunities.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was no one defending him! I wish we had saved that for when they had no timeouts (or against a better team), not that we could really wait for it. Unfortunate, not often an you fake switch out a QB without it being noticed. Not often do you even switch QBs in a game/season, even.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its embarrassing. Its straight up amateur hour.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's just inexcusable. Four wasted TOs in an incredibly hostile environment, including a TO on the first play after half. I've never even seen that before. Completely unacceptable. We cannot go into Seattle (and likely not Carolina) and simply give away TOs like that. Sloppiness and poor execution. I'm simply stunned that we haven't been able to adequately address this problem.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One would expect even college coaches to display better game management than that.

I would expect Pop Warner coaches to display WAY better game management than that. I would expect average football-intelligence casual fans to display WAY better game management than that. These guys get paid 6 and 7 figure salaries to be good at what they do. They aren't good at this facet of what they get paid 6 and 7 figure salaries to do.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just inexcusable. Four wasted TOs in an incredibly hostile environment, including a TO on the first play after half. I've never even seen that before. Completely unacceptable. We cannot go into Seattle (and likely not Carolina) and simply give away TOs like that. Sloppiness and poor execution. I'm simply stunned that we haven't been able to adequately address this problem.

Agreed. The good thing though is that we are going to be riding a huge wave of momentum going into Carolina and with some payback motivation as well.