• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I watched the Bengals game again....

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game for the 3rd time and see that the issues with this team is mostly coaching. After carefully watching all I could the Bengals game is probably one of the worst coached games I have seen. I think the same could be said for others if I had recorded them and watched them a couple times. While Pederson has issues I have to say Jim Schwartz has been brutal in his coaching. Onto the analysis.

Offense:

Pederson: Doug Pederson did not call a good game. His play calling hurts Wentz more than it helps. Many of the runs are where we have just the 5 lineman and everyone is spread out or there is just a RB. The Bengals pretty much assumed each of those plays were pass plays and played accordingly and trusted their DL and LB would stop our run. They showed zero respect for the run game. The gameplan was a lot like what Reid does. Play a team that sucks in run defense and try to trick them by passing all the time. There is a definite talent issue for the offense but Pederson has also become very predictable.

Wentz: First impressions and the stat sheet would suggest that he played horribly. However….rewatching the game gave me a different perspective. He did not play well but not as bad as I initially thought. Many of the pass plays had Carson holding onto the ball 4+ seconds. When that happened he really struggled. When he got rid of the ball quickly he was really good. The question is he holding onto the ball too long or are the receivers just that bad at getting open. I would say most of it was the poor receivers but some of it is on Wentz as well and he did miss some throws.

The Batted balls were not his fault IMO. On each batted ball the defender was on the ground and had to jump to block the ball. I think this was by design. On a lot of plays the Bengals played a soft rush and kind of stayed home and waited for Wentz to go into his throwing motion and then jump to block. This happened on just about every single blocked pass. That is not all on Wentz he can’t look downfield and watch the defensive lineman at the same time.

He is still having issues with mechanics. These are things he can and will work on in the off season. He is not getting worse but he is not getting better either.

Receivers: They definitely have issues with getting open. We probably have the worst receiving corp in the NFL. I will say this though…. Nelson Agholor had a decent game. I could tell he was playing hard

Defense:

Jim Schwartz: It is becoming clear IMO that he is not a good DC. His defensive game plans of late have been flat bad. He is not helping anyone out. He is calling zone defenses way too much and that is playing into defenses hands. He does not disguise any coverage. He just has them line up and play. Any moron can gameplan against the his defense. There are no suprises.

Defensive Line: They are not playing as bad as everyone may think. They are not generating any pass rush because they do not have time. The ball is out of the QB’s hands before the get a chance to do anything. The majority of Dalton’s passes were out of his hands in 3 seconds or less. No defensive line is going to generate pass rush when the ball is out that fast. If the held onto the ball any longer than 3 seconds were close to getting there. 90% of the rushes is a straight rush. They rarely do anything else and is on Schwartz. I think I counted only 5 stunts/alt line rushes.

Cornerbacks: They worst I have ever seen. They get burned every single play. They are out of position and turn around way too late. This is coaching and the secondary coach whoever he is needs to be fired. I have never seen a group of corners with technique this bad.

Fletcher Cox: He gets double team on every run play to his side. However the Bengals rarely rushed to his side when he was on the field. During pass rushes the ball was gone before he even remotely got close. The Bengals used zone blocking and they really only needed someone to get in his way. Every blocker he faced was pushed backwards but Dalton got rid of the ball fast.

Vinny Curry: IMO played well and he showed a lot of hustle. I did not see him give up on a single play he was in. He along with the rest of the line fall victim to poor defensive play calling and secondary play.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue what our Corners are doing out there ... there is no jamming of WR's. It's like some kind of easy/soft zone with a ton of cushion away from the LOS. It's no wonder the opposing QB is getting the ball out so quickly ... it's pitch and catch to an open area. I guess Schwartz has no confidence in them being able to match up one on one and feels that this is the best scheme to limit big plays while hoping the DL can "eventually" get pressure at some point during the drive.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame that Schwartz feels that way about his corners. He insisted on them signing McKelvin, when the bills knew he was washed up. In fact, his forte when he was drafted was as a kick returner, not a shutdown corner.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not going to do a lot of bitching the rest of this season. We will be lucky to win 2 more games. Maybe the Giants and Ravens. "Maybe"!
This off season, it is up to Howie to get the receivers and corners reinforced. Next year is when Pederson and Schwartz can fairly be judged. If this thing blows up again next year, then Lurie will be forced to move Howie to only handling contractural stuff; elevate Douglas to final authority on personnel(without Howie); and maybe hiring a Sr. VP of football operations who is dynamic, ala a Parcells type. Lurie should also consider selling the team, and just walk away with a $Billion or more. Enough is enough!

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not going to do a lot of bitching the rest of this season. We will be lucky to win 2 more games. Maybe the Giants and Ravens. "Maybe"!
This off season, it is up to Howie to get the receivers and corners reinforced. Next year is when Pederson and Schwartz can fairly be judged. If this thing blows up again next year, then Lurie will be forced to move Howie to only handling contractural stuff; elevate Douglas to final authority on personnel(without Howie); and maybe hiring a Sr. VP of football operations who is dynamic, ala a Parcells type. Lurie should also consider selling the team, and just walk away with a $Billion or more. Enough is enough!

Last summer Sporting News ranking of NFL general managers, Roseman came in dead last. Teflon Howie has the best bulletproof job in America. IMO an owner that cared about winning would run him out of town after game 16 this year.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone watching the game and doesn't see that the CB's "NEVER" turn around and play the ball - but simply wait for the receiver to catch it then tackle them is BLIND! That has to be the most red light flashing glaring issue with this defense right now. There are "SO" many plays that the CB could have made an easy INT (easy meaning, he doesn't have to jump or even move his body at all as these balls are within 2 feet of his chest). The TD in the GB game was an amazing catch - in so much that the WR could find the ball - as it went right between the CB's head and shoulder pads - almost hit him in the back of the head. The CB play is horrendous. And when this many players are doing this often - THAT IS COACHING! Moreso, the lack thereof.