• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cliff Avril Extended

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Wagner is no slouch of a MLB, he isn't on the same level as Willis and Bowman(assuming Bowman returns to half of what he was). Couple others in the NFC I would take over him as well.

typical clueless 49er fan. Hey guess when the Hawks defense started playing lights out? when Wagner returned. Guess who leads the team in tackles the past 4 games? Wagner is the most under rated player on this team. Anyone that has watched the Seahawks play more than just 2 games ( like a typical 49er fan ) would see this guy all over the field blowing up double teams to make tackles and flying from sideline to sideline faster than most RB's and closing off lanes. The guy has 85 tackles 2 sacks 7 tackles for loss in 9 games and in 4 of those he was playing injured. lol Not to mention he is the one that changes the defense based on the offenses formation. SO he is the QB of the #1 defense in the league. As for Willis and Bowman, Willis is only a shell of his former self and Bowman isn't even on the field yet is he? Let me guess you would take Luke before bobby even though 70% of Lukes tackles are +7 yards DOWN the field lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Wagner is no slouch of a MLB, he isn't on the same level as Willis and Bowman(assuming Bowman returns to half of what he was). Couple others in the NFC I would take over him as well.

Willis isn't at the level he once was IMO and who knows how good Bowman will be when he gets back. Your trying to compare oranges to apples here, because although they are all inside LBs, they play in systems that are not close to being the same.
I suspect that your not really up on how good Wagner has become. He's playing at a very high level right now, I won't trade for anyone. Just keep watching and you'll start to realize what I'm talking about.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wags has been awesome for Seattle. The defense isn't the same without him. He is the reason Seattle can play the style they do. He has covered 4.4 guys one on one deep downfield, he is insanely good against the run, and he plays sideline to sideline, endzone to endzone. LOB may get the press, but Wags is this team's defensive MVP.

https://screen.yahoo.com/nfl-now/top-10-most-intimidating-players-215403564.html

Here's a video of the 10 most intimidating players in the NFL, Bucky Brooks has Willis on his list, Steve Wyche puts Bobby. Still my favorite Pete Carroll draft pick!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough to compare them. Different schemes. I know last year Bowman was probably the top MLB in my opinion. I hope he is fully recovered next year because he is fun to watch. Willis was probably the best MLB for 2-3 year span a couple of years ago. However for now Wagner is younger then both and getting better so its hard to say I wouldn't take him over both. I got great respect for Willis and Bowman though

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno man, the fact your own pro bowl runningback called out Wagner as "fast as ****" says something.

I'd take Wagner over Willis any day as of TODAY. Prime Willis vs. Wagner now, dunno. Never seen Willis in a 4-3 (just like if I was in a 3-4 I'd take a prime Willis over Wagner hands down). But no question Wagner is right there with Keuchley as the best 4-3 ILB in the game.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have much rather signed Byron Maxwell, especially considering the Seahawks lack of depth at CB after the departures of Walter Thurmond and Brandon Browner.

Regardless, it's good to see another member of the Seahawks defense locked up long term. I'd rather it be Cliff Avril than nothing.

I'm unaware of how the contract is structured, but this actually should clear up some space for the Seahawks as Cliff Avril's 2014 cap hit is $9.25m. Avril's annual average is around $7m per year, so the Seahawks get to keep Avril and save around $2m per year relative to 2014's cap hit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Prior to this season I'd agree with you, but this year Wagner has been playing at another level.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the timing of these deals. The more extensions they get done in-season, the more time they'll have to devote to getting the Wilson and Wagner extensions done right in the offseason.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to lose Maxwell, but having guys like Simon to fill in shows the FO and coaching staffs are doing a pretty good job. Lets just hope they can find that same success with the O line. So far the grade is not so good. Its been said these guys get better with experience. Its been about 10 years since we had a dominating line to protect our QB. Which just shows how incredibly good Lynch really is.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this, I was hoping the Seahawks would keep Avril around. This D is going to be dominant for a long time.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell is gone, some poor team will give him 10m a year. Looks like we will be drafting CB in addition to OL, OL, OL, and TE.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have much rather signed Byron Maxwell, especially considering the Seahawks lack of depth at CB after the departures of Walter Thurmond and Brandon Browner.

Regardless, it's good to see another member of the Seahawks defense locked up long term. I'd rather it be Cliff Avril than nothing.

I'm unaware of how the contract is structured, but this actually should clear up some space for the Seahawks as Cliff Avril's 2014 cap hit is $9.25m. Avril's annual average is around $7m per year, so the Seahawks get to keep Avril and save around $2m per year relative to 2014's cap hit.

I kind of disagree here. It's great having a top 20 CB and then the #1 overall CB, but some sacrifices gotta be made, especially when we already have the #1 FS and SS.

If we lose our entire pass rush or go in with something unreliable next year (draft a DE/DT late 1st that doesn't work out) teams will pick us apart. We already saw that happen when Dallas brought their great O-Line in. If anything, I'd still prefer us to draft a DE/DT with our 1st round pick and shop around for a corner/wide receiver.

There's a reason that DEs rarely become available and when they do there's always some team with huge cap room that blows their entire wad on him. Yah this offseason was a bit of an anomaly with Ware/Allen but Allen was washed up (and he's sucked this season, thank god we didn't get him) and Ware was coming off an injury and a abysmal cap situation thanks to his stupid owner in Dallas.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard a lot about the lack of depth at corner back this season compared to last, but I think that is fans not having realistic goals about what a CB unit should look like. The team had the fluke of having (at one point) it's #2-4 CBs all hurt, and there is no way that doesn't hurt a unit, no matter how deep.

If the same thing had happened last year, our CBs would have been Sherman, Lane & Parish Cox; as opposed to Sherman, Burley & Steven Terrell. Personally, I think Burley and Terrell stepped in in a big way when they had to play (especially Burley). There's only so much depth at CB any team can carry, and having 3 of your 4 out would mess with any unit.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart. Avril is Matt Millen's other good draft pick. Congrats to Avril.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell is gone, some poor team will give him 10m a year. Looks like we will be drafting CB in addition to OL, OL, OL, and TE.
I agree about Maxwell but he might go for $8-$9M IMO.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we could hypothetically use a franchise tag on B-Max.

It would be cheaper to resign him. I'm sure the Seahawks would like to resign him, but first, Wilson and Wagner, then if they have enough they'll try to resign Maxwell.