• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

chiefs vs bengals thoughts.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my lord, the way the dude flew off the line of scrimmage was a thing of beauty. This offense has desperately needed some speed to open things up. We go out and get it with Chase Brown and Jermaine Burton and we spend too much time with them in the garage so we can get some snaps for TI or Chuck Simmer.
I, personally, don't disagree with you.

But - if he's limited, then that is explaining why you don't see him out there for more plays.

That being said - if you have him out there only on go-routes, and Chase on the other side....you are forcing teams to decide how they want to get beat. This would go towards my disdain for Taylor as an offensive play caller.

I would find ways for Burton to be on the field, myself. I'm just stating reasons I've heard/read on WHY he's not out there more...not so much that I agree.

I also think Brown should be the starting RB. Same with Brown as Burton. When Brown gets the ball, he looks like he's shot out of a cannon. Moss looks a lot more like Mixon where he's judicious in his decision making, which can work...Brown just gets it and goes. He sees a hole and hits it. Doesn't matter if the hole is the called play or not....he just gets yards.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burton did his job. he's not being prepped to run a multitude of routes, but I remember when John Ross missed that one, it was basically the end of his career. Burton has game, he could end up being like Chad Johnson, not a first rounder, but still pretty good.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another thing. Maybe we should stock up on ham strings next year. They don't sound expensive

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be fair.... Jermaine Burton is not Dee Dee Dorsey. He is not Auden Tate. He has a very high pedigree as a star playmaker from the two most dominant college programs of the past 15 years. Calling him a preseason hero is a little unfair to me.

To your point about preparation.... Fine - He's not prepared to play starter snaps. I'm okay with that. But, other coaching staffs find 10-12 plays that really show off the things the guy can do to put pressure on a D. We took the right step on this on Sunday. That long pass to Burton was specifically schemed for him and it was damn near impossible to stop. He is a guy that can win 1-1 over a lot of corners in this league given his athleticism and ability to catch the football. That's what I want to see - Put him out there for specific shots. Or put him out there on a similar play that we run the ball. Keep those safeties from cheating up to the line.
Bite your damn tongue! DeDe was awesome!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest knock on Burton was that he was immature and caused rediculous penalties... sound like anyone you know?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that while it's more than fair to point out that Burton is, likely, way better than Dorsey - Burton smoked guys who were fringe NFL players, at best, in the pre-season.

So, while I do think he's going to contribute at a high level, at some point...it's also fair to assume that maybe he's not just quite ready for that role against actual NFL starters. That being said - I think there is room where he can be out on the field for 8-12 snaps and given a specific route to run until he understands how to better read defenses, or in some cases as a decoy to help take the top off the defense either by way of pass or by design with other teams knowing they will need to cover over top with him. There are things to be done...can Taylor get creative and get it done?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dede Dorsey only averaged 7.3 yards per carry! Name me another Bengals RB to average over 6 in their career?! Hmmph. I win!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dede Dorsey only averaged 7.3 yards per carry! Name me another Bengals RB to average over 6 in their career?! Hmmph. I win!
Well....since you asked....

RB Warren McVea averaged 14.8 YPC.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that while it's more than fair to point out that Burton is, likely, way better than Dorsey - Burton smoked guys who were fringe NFL players, at best, in the pre-season.

So, while I do think he's going to contribute at a high level, at some point...it's also fair to assume that maybe he's not just quite ready for that role against actual NFL starters. That being said - I think there is room where he can be out on the field for 8-12 snaps and given a specific route to run until he understands how to better read defenses, or in some cases as a decoy to help take the top off the defense either by way of pass or by design with other teams knowing they will need to cover over top with him. There are things to be done...can Taylor get creative and get it done?
Meanwhile, we can keep rolling Charlie Jones out there. His work is inspiring.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. He should have been the GOAT. Had to work hard to find that one didn't you?
To be honest - no - if you go do a quick search for all time YPC - it came right up on a stat sheet...sorted by YPC and found him.

At RB, Dorsey is 2nd, though!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chase, brown, or burton could draw some coverage on a screen, option, sweep, or slant even.

but I guess I'm just playing madden in my head...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chase, brown, or burton could draw some coverage on a screen, option, sweep, or slant even.

but I guess I'm just playing madden in my head...
I watch a decent amount of Miami games because my 2nd oldest is a Miami fan (don't ask)...I'm always telling him how jealous I am of his coaches ability to just scheme up ways to get guys open. Too bad he had Tua at QB....

McDaniels with Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Gesicki, All, Moss/Brown, Burton...motion, misdirections, up tempo with Burrow, guys in the slot, moved out side...it makes me sad....because I know what this offense could be with the right kind of approach. Instead we end up with Bland Vanilla at play-caller....looks good because Burrow is an elite QB, and also has Chase and Higgins....but can't get out of his own way or help the offense when things are in a bit of a funk to put guys in positions to make plays....

Me looking at Taylor calling plays:
Sad GIF by MOODMAN

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing about offensive plays is, she may etch them out, like she's playing madded or something, but someone is going to tweak it.

then they will say "we burned you with the taylor swift play" and all the taylor swift fans will buy Swift KC Jerseys and they will make a lot of money.

it means nothing really.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, Kareem "woman abuser" Hunt now plays for the Chiefs.

even though he's not a bad player, no one was willing to touch him with a 10 foot poll, not even the Browns with an injury to backup Strong Jr.

But, of course, the Chiefs can do no wrong.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, Kareem "woman abuser" Hunt now plays for the Chiefs.

even though he's not a bad player, no one was willing to touch him with a 10 foot poll, not even the Browns with an injury to backup Strong Jr.

But, of course, the Chiefs can do no wrong.
I am still extremely confused by how Rice is eligible to play football this season. The league has a former first rounder in jail after a death due to high-speed racing. The Georgia football team had a similar issue. Rice gets busted (in the worst possible way) for similar behavior and receives no punishment? They used to suspend Bengals players for toking a little weed in the car.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - Now that Hollywood Brown is out for the entire season, there is no way the league settles his disciplinary action this year. They aint leaving Mahomes with Jon Ross Jr. and nobody else.