• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

chiefs vs bengals thoughts.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better performance, same result.

notice how the ref waited for the ball to hit the ground before throwing the PI flag. what a douche. he was right on the call, but still a douche.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 is weird. Looking at the QB numbers across the league really amplifies this point. I just don't think offenses are really ready to play after the country club training camps that are now commonplace in the NFL. Regardless of how crappy we looked last week, I won't be surprised if we are able to go into KC and win. I also won't be surprised if we get our doors blown off because we are still not ready for the season. Here is what I am looking at:

1) What does Burrow look like? Do we see any evidence that he is physically compromised or mentally still struggling? Or do we see him working his way back into his game. No matter what happens during this game, this will be the biggest story to me. The sooner he gets back to form, the sonner we'll start consistently winning.

2) Defensive communication - The Patriots didn't have much of an advanced passing attack. They also didn't really have weapons. This week, we need to deal with a physical back and some talent at receiver along with Kelce. We're lucky to be avoiding Hollywood Brown, but still have to deal with Rice and the rookie. I'm not sure how many felonies someone actually has to commit to get suspended from the Chiefs, but Rice is certainly pushing that limit. Anyway, I'm interested to see how the reworked secondary can handle a sophisticated passing game.

3) Coaching - If you want to win in KC, you're going to have to be aggressive. I'd like to see the coaches coach the game like they aren't scared.
So, where are we on these points after the disappointing loss.

1) Burrow looked like Burrow. He looked much more comfortable and in command of the offense. The Giseki drop was a killer as the fumble immediately followed and the Yoshi drop (difficult play) was unfortunate as well. It wasn't his best game, but I definitely get the sense that he is on his way back and we are going to be okay.

2) The D did what they did against KC. They limited the damage - bend but don't break. And they turned them over. It's unfortunate that they lost again after a back-breaking penalty late. I don't hate the PI call, but I didn't like rushing only 3. The pass D was good all day though. Not sure where we go with the run D given all the injuries, but it's hard to fault them today.

3) Mixed bag on coaching. They played aggressive on 4th down and it paid off. But then they don't go for two late in the 3rd quarter. Why? I don't think it matters, because KC would have gone for 1 to tie it after the fumble so it sort of breaks even, but I still don't get the idea.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is still very much a playoff team. Frustrating loss but yet another classic game in this rivalry.

Burrow will be fine. Looked more like himself. Still room for improvement. Still a little skiddish in the pocket at times. Play calling still sucks. Whatever that screen was they kept calling where Chris Jones was unblocked needs to go in the trash.

The defense seems to be back. Bend but don’t break. Forced turnovers. Shut the Chiefs down for the most part. Hendrickson is still a beast. Rankins getting hurt severely cripples the run defense though. They need Jenkins back. And maybe a street FA or two.

Still sucks to be 0-2. Again. But they’ve gotten nothing out of Chase and Higgins and easily should be 2-0.

That said. Anybody kind of over Ja’Marr Chase at this point? All this talk and nothing to back anything up. Most noteworthy play today was a selfish penalty that cost a chance at a TD on a key drive.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought very hard about betting on the chiefs to win.
was going to budget 100$ to it, I guess that would have been a good bet, but honestly, the Bengals would have made that a scary bet.

crazy bengals!

let's go 1-2, I hope.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erick All Jr is quickly becoming one of my favorite draft picks in recent memory. If he can stay healthy, he is going to be a good one.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought very hard about betting on the chiefs to win.
was going to budget 100$ to it, I guess that would have been a good bet, but honestly, the Bengals would have made that a scary bet.

crazy bengals!

let's go 1-2, I hope.
they,ll coast next Monday.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better performance, same result.

notice how the ref waited for the ball to hit the ground before throwing the PI flag. what a douche. he was right on the call, but still a douche.

He might have had a hard time getting it out of his pocket but I doubt it.

With that said, you knew the moment Mahomes scrambled there was going to be some sort of flag. Too bad they missed two CLEAR and obvious holds on KC but yes, PI was the correct call unfortunately

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, where are we on these points after the disappointing loss.

1) Burrow looked like Burrow. He looked much more comfortable and in command of the offense. The Giseki drop was a killer as the fumble immediately followed and the Yoshi drop (difficult play) was unfortunate as well. It wasn't his best game, but I definitely get the sense that he is on his way back and we are going to be okay.

2) The D did what they did against KC. They limited the damage - bend but don't break. And they turned them over. It's unfortunate that they lost again after a back-breaking penalty late. I don't hate the PI call, but I didn't like rushing only 3. The pass D was good all day though. Not sure where we go with the run D given all the injuries, but it's hard to fault them today.

3) Mixed bag on coaching. They played aggressive on 4th down and it paid off. But then they don't go for two late in the 3rd quarter. Why? I don't think it matters, because KC would have gone for 1 to tie it after the fumble so it sort of breaks even, but I still don't get the idea.
Honestly thought your D played well and the Chiefs OL has issues.

Penalties seem like something thats easily fixable. Not sure you guys can run the ball. That would be my one question mark towards the Bengals stringing off 9 or 10 wins in a row.

I'd say a high probability both KC and Cinci will be better as the season goes on.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Penalties seem like something thats easily fixable. Not sure you guys can run the ball. That would be my one question mark towards the Bengals stringing off 9 or 10 wins in a row.

I'd say a high probability both KC and Cinci will be better as the season goes on.
It was definitely pass interference. The non-holding call on the LT against Hendrickson on that play really sucked, and the Chase temper tantrum that cost us 15 yards on 3rd and 7 to make it 3rd and 22 hurt. Boneheaded play. When you can't beat a team when you have 3 TO's, you did something wrong in the game. Dropped passes seem to be hurting us this year too.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erick All Jr is quickly becoming one of my favorite draft picks in recent memory. If he can stay healthy, he is going to be a good one.

I agree. I am actually very high on McLachlan too. I really like what I see when he is on the field. I think we may have finally found our solution at TE for next several years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was definitely pass interference. The non-holding call on the LT against Hendrickson on that play really sucked, and the Chase temper tantrum that cost us 15 yards on 3rd and 7 to make it 3rd and 22 hurt. Boneheaded play. When you can't beat a team when you have 3 TO's, you did something wrong in the game. Dropped passes seem to be hurting us this year too.
I do think even a team like the Chiefs lose a game like that 80% of the time. 1-8 on third down. 3 TOs. Thats just not good football.

I personally dont think the AFC is as strong as its been in some previous years. There is definitely a window for someone to get hot and make a run.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think even a team like the Chiefs lose a game like that 80% of the time. 1-8 on third down. 3 TOs. Thats just not good football.

I personally dont think the AFC is as strong as its been in some previous years. There is definitely a window for someone to get hot and make a run.
I think it is as tough as ever. More quality teams in the conference this year.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burrow thinks he can run. where was the safety valve. Gave up on plays quickly. anyway, what do I know. Burton came on for the only deep throw completion. Bengs afraid to use him for some reason. Pre season he beat defenses consistently. So WTF there. Secondary looked good to my untrained eye. D line looked stout at times. OL wasn't horrible. TEs' were excellent. Burrows wrist may have been a factor in the fumble. Kicker, punter good. More good than bad.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the bigger question about the run game is WILL the Bengals run the ball. Between the RB's, they averaged just a tick over 4 YPC...which is more than serviceable with Burrow as your QB. Personally, I think Brown looks like the better RB. He just runs different.

That being said...In a game that they had several leads, they threw it 36 times, and ran it just 16 with RB's. It was the same last week, and has been the same nearly in every game under Taylor. They go for a near 75-25 split in passing to run unless up multiple scores, and even then...

So, do I think the Bengals CAN run the football? Yes. I think they can. Maybe not top 10, but certainly not bottom 5 which is where they were last year and currently this year. But, the real question is WILL the Bengals run the football...and to that answer, it is a resounding NO.

I've said this for a few years now. Taylor is a hell of a head coach. Clearly he connects. But his play calling is ass. He is saved because when Burrow is on, and you have Chase and Higgins, and now Gesicki and Burton and All....things will look really good. But when things aren't perfect with Burrow - Taylor can't get out of his own way in play calling to better position his offense to move the ball and score.

Bengals will likely be fine as long as Burrow finally rebounds in weeks 3-4 (and beyond after his initial pre-season phase) and the defense continues to play like it did on Sunday. But if things get middled....and Taylor has to make calls to position his offense to do well - the Bengals will struggle.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burrow thinks he can run. where was the safety valve. Gave up on plays quickly. anyway, what do I know. Burton came on for the only deep throw completion. Bengs afraid to use him for some reason. Pre season he beat defenses consistently. So WTF there. Secondary looked good to my untrained eye. D line looked stout at times. OL wasn't horrible. TEs' were excellent. Burrows wrist may have been a factor in the fumble. Kicker, punter good. More good than bad.
Bengals aren't afraid to use Burton...he's not earned that right. He's not, yet, put in the off-field work to earn that trust. A lot of behind the scenes talk that Burrow is not comfortable with Burton because he doesn't know the routes or how to check plays. That's an issue.

Also - the road to NFL stardom is littered with Pre-Season Heroes. Those guys he was roasting in the pre-season were largely 3rd stringers who are bagging your groceries on the weekend waiting for a team to call....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals aren't afraid to use Burton...he's not earned that right. He's not, yet, put in the off-field work to earn that trust. A lot of behind the scenes talk that Burrow is not comfortable with Burton because he doesn't know the routes or how to check plays. That's an issue.

Also - the road to NFL stardom is littered with Pre-Season Heroes. Those guys he was roasting in the pre-season were largely 3rd stringers who are bagging your groceries on the weekend waiting for a team to call....
Be fair.... Jermaine Burton is not Dee Dee Dorsey. He is not Auden Tate. He has a very high pedigree as a star playmaker from the two most dominant college programs of the past 15 years. Calling him a preseason hero is a little unfair to me.

To your point about preparation.... Fine - He's not prepared to play starter snaps. I'm okay with that. But, other coaching staffs find 10-12 plays that really show off the things the guy can do to put pressure on a D. We took the right step on this on Sunday. That long pass to Burton was specifically schemed for him and it was damn near impossible to stop. He is a guy that can win 1-1 over a lot of corners in this league given his athleticism and ability to catch the football. That's what I want to see - Put him out there for specific shots. Or put him out there on a similar play that we run the ball. Keep those safeties from cheating up to the line.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be fair.... Jermaine Burton is not Dee Dee Dorsey. He is not Auden Tate. He has a very high pedigree as a star playmaker from the two most dominant college programs of the past 15 years. Calling him a preseason hero is a little unfair to me.

To your point about preparation.... Fine - He's not prepared to play starter snaps. I'm okay with that. But, other coaching staffs find 10-12 plays that really show off the things the guy can do to put pressure on a D. We took the right step on this on Sunday. That long pass to Burton was specifically schemed for him and it was damn near impossible to stop. He is a guy that can win 1-1 over a lot of corners in this league given his athleticism and ability to catch the football. That's what I want to see - Put him out there for specific shots. Or put him out there on a similar play that we run the ball. Keep those safeties from cheating up to the line.
And my lord, the way the dude flew off the line of scrimmage was a thing of beauty. This offense has desperately needed some speed to open things up. We go out and get it with Chase Brown and Jermaine Burton and we spend too much time with them in the garage so we can get some snaps for TI or Chuck Simmer.