• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Chiefs @ Colts; For the Marbles this Time! Saturday- 3:25 PM (CST) NBC

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I watched that last play a few times live over and over and there's no way that Alex could have thrown that more inside. That would have been batted down; he threw it exactly where he supposed to pass it. If Bowe had gone more on the inside he would've been in front of the defender and the ball was exactly where it was supposed to be. But Bowe not fight for the position he just kept running and cut out if bounds. Football is a game of inches. I suppose Alex could have thrown it farther and then Bowe would have tried to one hand it.

I'm not blaming Bowe for the game or the play call. Based on where the receiver was and where the defender was, that could not of been thrown more inside. There's no way that the ball would not have been batted down if it had been more inside. Credit the defender if needed. Blame Reid if needed.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine watching my team endure the number of injuries you guys had in this game. It must have been so frustrating.

You folks did have a terrific season though and Smith was playing sharp as hell last night. Losing Charles and the others was, imo, the difference in the game.

Best of luck next year~

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine watching my team endure the number of injuries you guys had in this game. It must have been so frustrating.

You folks did have a terrific season though and Smith was playing sharp as hell last night. Losing Charles and the others was, imo, the difference in the game.

Best of luck next year~

Yeah, the injuries increased, the play calling imo on defense was bad, and we made too many mistakes. Honestly it's a tough pill to swallow, but i'm hoping the coaching staff learned from this. If not next season's not going to be a fun one to watch...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the injuries increased, the play calling imo on defense was bad, and we made too many mistakes. Honestly it's a tough pill to swallow, but i'm hoping the coaching staff learned from this. If not next season's not going to be a fun one to watch...

Look at it this way: NO more Robinson or Lewis. Woooo...

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or did it seem like the Mathis recovered fumble was out of bounds before he fully possesed it?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or did it seem like the Mathis recovered fumble was out of bounds before he fully possesed it?

Yes, but that's easily explained away as "would have stood as called on the field." They let it stand, not confirmed it.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I watched that last play a few times live over and over and there's no way that Alex could have thrown that more inside. That would have been batted down; he threw it exactly where he supposed to pass it. If Bowe had gone more on the inside he would've been in front of the defender and the ball was exactly where it was supposed to be. But Bowe not fight for the position he just kept running and cut out if bounds. Football is a game of inches. I suppose Alex could have thrown it farther and then Bowe would have tried to one hand it.

I'm not blaming Bowe for the game or the play call. Based on where the receiver was and where the defender was, that could not of been thrown more inside. There's no way that the ball would not have been batted down if it had been more inside. Credit the defender if needed. Blame Reid if needed.

Poor play call imo, its just too risky to hope the guy both catches and keeps his feet in bounds. If you had a quicker receiver who could get separation maybe. I guess they figured theyd take away the middle of the field. All they needed was 7-8 yards before the grounding they shouldve just run it twice and taken their shot with Succop.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday Morning QB.

I had KC all the way in this game and it looked good for so long.

Reid's problem has always been finishing a game and being an OFC guy I can't even pin this one on him...44 pts should win a playoff game 9.99 out of 10 times...IND found that .01 chance and made it work.

KC went into a prevent type DEF and it basically gave Luck more time work in the pocket and more underneath routes open to pick up a big chunks of yardage...always tough with a huge lead with so much game left to know when to pull back...the KC DEF did it too early and they could not get the MO back.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor play call imo, its just too risky to hope the guy both catches and keeps his feet in bounds. If you had a quicker receiver who could get separation maybe. I guess they figured theyd take away the middle of the field. All they needed was 7-8 yards before the grounding they shouldve just run it twice and taken their shot with Succop.

Blowing the TO right after the 2 min warning was unacceptable...you have to plan for more than one look with the play call there. On the final play...it's on the WR to give himself room to complete the route in bounds.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday Morning QB.

I had KC all the way in this game and it looked good for so long.

Reid's problem has always been finishing a game and being an OFC guy I can't even pin this one on him...44 pts should win a playoff game 9.99 out of 10 times...IND found that .01 chance and made it work.

KC went into a prevent type DEF and it basically gave Luck more time work in the pocket and more underneath routes open to pick up a big chunks of yardage...always tough with a huge lead with so much game left to know when to pull back...the KC DEF did it too early and they could not get the MO back.

Prevent defense, injuries, and not running the clock. Execution, timeouts, and staying in bounds. Play-calling, settling for the field goal, and not making your blocks. Dropping a fourth interception, letting a man beat you on prevent, and missing the fumble recovery. Poor tackling, too much buffer, and having to cross the field to cover. Missing on the pass rush, opponent third down conversion (any of them!), and penalties (there were only few, but all count). Constant negative kick returns (after a year of success), fumbling on a sack, and an intentional grounding that cost only two yards more than a sack. Hitting the screen was the problem, blocking the rush was the issue, not the loss of down. Missing by inches to a third RB who stutter-stepped on a RUN to the end zone play. That last one is not on the QB or solely upon the receiver - there's timing, chemistry, injury, and the fucking stutter-step.

There were do many things that could have changed this game, as all one point games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly was hard to determine what was zone and what was man given how terrible the execution was on defense. Given the well documented struggles with stacks, picks, and the more complicated items the best offenses tend to throw at you all had a snowball effect on a deeply flawed defense in terms of execution. It looked an awful lot like man coverage gone horribly wrong due to confusion (Not switching for example on picks leaving Hilton wide open) on the part of the defense, but I suppose a more detailed look could prove me wrong. This defense is also known for poorly executing zone coverages for some reason that I have yet to figure out? Coaching again? Dumb players? It doesn't add up and the coaching staff (including Reid to a lesser extent) should be held accountable.

The most irritating thing is this defense on a talent basis really has no business to give up 35+... Okay, maybe to Denver lately, but that is a whole different can of worms that won't be repeated for decades if ever again.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 quick td's to make it 38-24 were the dagger and you knew there was just too much time left. At least make them punt, kick a fg once or just take longer drives. They didnt do either.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 quick td's to make it 38-24 were the dagger and you knew there was just too much time left. At least make them punt, kick a fg once or just take longer drives. They didnt do either.

Would love to disagree, but I am just an awful mood after that debacle. Screw it, it was the dagger even though we were up by two TD's at that point.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another gripe about the reaction to this game: we missed on the Gray pass that could've been for a touchdown. Alex Smith said as much. He said that he should still haven't gotten it to him. However, Gray did stutter step. That was a run as fast as you can to the end zone play! He didn't need to study step to get an advantage. Now Alex could've still hit him where he was, but I don't think he had any reps with him. I just think I've heard too many people say it was overthrown, as if Smith didn't know where to throw it if he knew where he was going to be. I think that Smith didn't know he was going to stutter step. Listed mentioned the lack of reps with him, but said that he should have gotten it to him. Maybe he should have based on feel?

Just FYI, I do not accept as an explanation for a play to be sufficient when someone just says he just needs to get it. That's not a valid analysis. That's like explaining the it factor. I know you can feel it, but it's semi-copout to talk about it.

Drive up that hill! But there's a foot of snow. I don't care, just do it. Now that might be sounding like an excuse, but Alex never said that. The player should never accept excuses. They should figure out how to get it done through practice and feel for the game. However, as a fan, I think it is remiss to not be looking at the details and context. An athlete needs to erase all excuses, because there always are a lot of things against you. If you paid attention to them, you'd face no chance. But as a fan? Come on, this is what we're here for. To discuss things.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Gray catches it and stumbles down, they get new set of downs and run more time off. Not to mention a good chance at a td.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Gray catches it and stumbles down, they get new set of downs and run more time off. Not to mention a good chance at a td.

True, what I'm saying is the reason why he wasn't there for the catch is because he stutter stepped before the catch. I watched a couple times, he stutter steps after the ball is in the air. People don't notice that.

I feel that I have to reiterate that I'm not blaming Gray here. I'm saying that's a chemistry thing. Smith had no way of knowing that he likes to stutter step there. Maybe Gray's not sure of his speed and therefore thinks he needs to juke the defender. They missed by INCHES. That's all it took. Gray is pretty fast and if he ran straight he would've caught the ball. If Charles or even Davis were there that would've been a touchdown.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, i agree with your point i was just basically saying what could've happened worse case even if he falls down and dosen't score. No blame on Gray on my part either the timing was just off. Part of it was lack of familiarity with throwing to him from Smith, plus he's a little shorter than your typical WR as a RB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the hit and how Whdlden kicks Kniles when he's down and hurt.

RB could be needed after Knile Davis injuries - ESPN

KNILEHURT.gif

Read this from another poster on another site: Erik Walden kicked him in the same leg that was broken when the guy was writhing on the ground with pain.

Earlier in the season, Walden ripped off the helmet of TE Then while the TE asked Walden what the heck he was doing (probably using different words), with his helmet still off, and with the TE's arms stretched out ... headbutted the TE in the unprotected forehead with his helmet.

Walden played for Tennessee State, and he was a thug in college. He went to Green Bay. He beat up his girlfriend and stomped on her arm. The Packers had enough of his crap, and let him walk at the end of the year. The Packers cover up a lot of stuff that goes on in Wisconsin, so it must have been bad.

Walden went to Indiana, and Pagano took him in. Great guy to have on or off the field (sarcasm).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Walden the same guy who got kicked by a Denver player on a Field Goal kick? Dude seems to attract and dish out plenty of malice...