• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie already in over his head at ut

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football - Charlie Strong's poor performance, Texas Takeaways - ESPN

Charlie Strong's poor first impression
June, 25, 2014 2:17PM ET
By Travis Haney | ESPN.com

SAN ANGELO, Texas -- A 20-minute slot for new Texas head coach Charlie Strong stood out on the three-day schedule at the recent coaching clinic at Angelo State -- one of my stops on a recent mid-June trip through Texas. The clinic is a 40-year tradition for the state’s high school coaches to learn from their college counterpart and was one of his first outings in front of a large number of the state’s high school coaches. I was intrigued to hear what Strong’s message would be in one of his first outings in front of a large number of high school coaches.

Part of the intrigue stemmed from the perception -- held by many of his peers and even those who know him well –- that Strong is something of an introvert, and that the social aspect of the UT job might not be his, ahem, strong suit.

Those in attendance didn't seem impressed by Strong’s time on the stage. Maybe it was coincidence, but someone let out a loud laugh just as Strong wrapped.

“I think everyone was shocked. It was that bad,” one coach told me later.

“It made me miss Mack,” one joked.

Another: “If I was the coach at Texas, I would act like I had bigger balls than that.”

Strong spoke so rapidly, jamming one sentence on top of another as if he were playing verbal Tetris, that you would have thought he had two minutes, not 20. It was difficult to follow his train of thought or discern the central points being made.

The bulk of the address sounded like something more suited for parents or boosters than people who also coach for a living.

An example: He said he intended to “put the ‘T’ back in Texas” with “toughness, trust, togetherness and teamwork.”

Or the primary mission being, “We want to see young men graduate,” and “We want to win championships,” because “there’s nothing more fun than a championship.”

I jotted “LOL” in my notebook when he told coaches “either you’re growing or you’re dying.”

In the most connective moment of his speech, Strong closed by inviting coaches to visit campus, and he actually acknowledged the situation. It might have been a nice place to start; it was the only portion that didn’t feel rehearsed or cliché-ridden.

“We are the premier university in this state,” he said. “I know you’re all watching to see what happens. We have some work to do. We’re going to get that done because of the staff we have.”

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries Charlie is going to put a fence around the city of Miami and not let any of the good players out of that area. Sumlin only has the state of Texas at his disposal no contest UT will be back in short order.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New guy on the biggest stage in Texas, in front of peers that know their stuff as well, with an ungodly amount of work going on around him...and add to all that rumors that he just doesn't like the public appearances and I can see why he fumbled around.

Bottom line, if he wins on the field people will be ok with how he speaks off the field. Besides, a few toastmasters classes and work at it and you can learn to be a polished public speaker a lot easier than you can learn to be a collegiate level coach :suds:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt his ability to coach but I would have expected him, knowing he was going to present to run his speech by an assistant or something first.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries Charlie is going to put a fence around the city of Miami and not let any of the good players out of that area. Sumlin only has the state of Texas at his disposal no contest UT will be back in short order.

Ill take a FL kid over the Texas kids anyday. Texas kids are soft

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's strange is that most coaching hires lead to a bump in recruiting at major schools. It seems that Texas has seen the opposite impact in that their recruiting has somewhat tanked. It's certainly not looking good. Part of being a good coach is being personable so that coaches, parents, kids and alumni like you. In fact, that's a huge part of it.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he seems to like talking to the media as much as Nick Saban, Greg Popovich, and Bill Belichick does. Maybe he'll steer away from guys like this and be more like Mack Brown and Kevin sumlin in the future.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ol' Mack was a good salesman, until he started getting his ass handed to him.

Just win.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest here. There are some Texas HS Coaches who are: 1) Loyal to Mack, and 2) Uncomfortable with a new black coach. Sad, but true. Some of these guys came ready to criticize any and everything he said.

If johnnyhollywood gives a press conference, I'll admit I will not be listening with an open mind. Seems to me that is what happened here to a degree.

If he wins - it will all go away. If he loses, it will get worse. I think we should at least give him a game or two. Don't you?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest here. There are some Texas HS Coaches who are: 1) Loyal to Mack, and 2) Uncomfortable with a new black coach. Sad, but true. Some of these guys came ready to criticize any and everything he said.

^^^this^^^
although I think it's more than 'some'

I would think that Charlie had already reached out to and talked to most every coach in that room?????

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line.......we pretend like press conferences are actually important, but the reality of it all is they are simply for entertainment purposes only.

We don't need to hear anything from the coaches. We just think we do.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Strong will do fine. Would he have been my first choice if I were at Texas? No, I would have got Mark Dantonio but I still say he will do fine long term.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is overblown. Couple coaches out of the crowd reportedly said some negative comments about Strongs public speaking ability. Kind of a hatchet job. Hard to take it seriously, when their are no names attached.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^this^^^
although I think it's more than 'some'

I would think that Charlie had already reached out to and talked to most every coach in that room?????

Wow! Playing the race card kind of early aren't you? This is the kind of bull shit that I have started to talk about on here before but hesitated because the knee jerk reaction by too many people is if you diss someone who is black then you're automatically a racist. Fuck that attitude. I think Strong was a horrible choice for Texas. UT is a hell of a lot better job than this guy deserves and when he starts getting his ass handed to him by Stoops and Briles and etc. the UT fans will be faced with a dilemma: do they say what they think or do they hold it in so the bleeding heart liberals won't call them racists when the truth is he's not the quality of coach Texas deserves. Will he succeed? Possible, but doubtful if you want a National Championship caliber program again. OU went through this with John Blake. And it sucks when your black head football coach isn't successful. Kind of like when your black President is a joke and the "nice" thing to do is just accept it or risk being called a racist. I don't like Strong because he is black. I don't like him at UT because I think he'll be a total fuck up. Just being the "anti-Mack" isn't the answer to UT's problems. But I'm an OU fan so I guess that should be a good thing but I'm also a fair person and I don't like favoritism or discrimination. Both are wrong.