• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie already in over his head at ut

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if Goldbug's hatred for Strong is due to him being black, or him being the horns new coach. To say strong sucks even though his track record proves otherwise is just dumb though. Unless you think successful Florida D coordinators can't hack it on the big stage?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if Goldbug's hatred for Strong is due to him being black, or him being the horns new coach. To say strong sucks even though his track record proves otherwise is just dumb though. Unless you think successful Florida D coordinators can't hack it on the big stage?

John, I don't hate anyone for being black. I don't hate him for being the Horns coach. I do admit I was a Mack Brown fan but his time had passed so it was time for a change. My contention is Strong will prove to be a bust. I know the Horns fans have high hopes but let's face it; you're Texas for God's sake. Hiring a guy like this (it makes no difference at all what his skin color is) was mistake. The only time race will enter into it is when he starts catching flak for not being successful enough and people will be walking on egg shells because complaints will be painted as "racist" by many people. It's a sad fact of life that the race card is play so hard and early in discussions that should be based on the merits of an argument, not the emotions of an argument. He didn't deserve a job like Texas. And that's coming from an OU fan. I'm a Sooner but I think the Horns fans on this board know I'm fair as can be when it comes to talking about the UT football program. I have a lot of respect for you guys. But you blew the hire.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt his ability to coach but I would have expected him, knowing he was going to present to run his speech by an assistant or something first.
-------
Anyone here old enough to remember "Bear Bryant" and his press conferences/speeches. By God, the drawl was so thick and slow you needed a translator. Public speaking won't win games. And Strong will win plenty of 'em for Texas.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is overblown. Couple coaches out of the crowd reportedly said some negative comments about Strongs public speaking ability. Kind of a hatchet job. Hard to take it seriously, when their are no names attached.

I pretty sure a Jim Bob and Bubba were involved one way or another.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line.......we pretend like press conferences are actually important, but the reality of it all is they are simply for entertainment purposes only.

We don't need to hear anything from the coaches. We just think we do.

exactly

who really wants to hear all of the cliches about how much energy there is and blah blah blah in practice

I just care about what we get on the field during game time

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, I don't hate anyone for being black. I don't hate him for being the Horns coach. I do admit I was a Mack Brown fan but his time had passed so it was time for a change. My contention is Strong will prove to be a bust. I know the Horns fans have high hopes but let's face it; you're Texas for God's sake. Hiring a guy like this (it makes no difference at all what his skin color is) was mistake. The only time race will enter into it is when he starts catching flak for not being successful enough and people will be walking on egg shells because complaints will be painted as "racist" by many people. It's a sad fact of life that the race card is play so hard and early in discussions that should be based on the merits of an argument, not the emotions of an argument. He didn't deserve a job like Texas. And that's coming from an OU fan. I'm a Sooner but I think the Horns fans on this board know I'm fair as can be when it comes to talking about the UT football program. I have a lot of respect for you guys. But you blew the hire.

Why doesn't he deserve this job?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Playing the race card kind of early aren't you? This is the kind of bull shit that I have started to talk about on here before but hesitated because the knee jerk reaction by too many people is if you diss someone who is black then you're automatically a racist. Fuck that attitude. I think Strong was a horrible choice for Texas. UT is a hell of a lot better job than this guy deserves and when he starts getting his ass handed to him by Stoops and Briles and etc. the UT fans will be faced with a dilemma: do they say what they think or do they hold it in so the bleeding heart liberals won't call them racists when the truth is he's not the quality of coach Texas deserves. Will he succeed? Possible, but doubtful if you want a National Championship caliber program again. OU went through this with John Blake. And it sucks when your black head football coach isn't successful. Kind of like when your black President is a joke and the "nice" thing to do is just accept it or risk being called a racist. I don't like Strong because he is black. I don't like him at UT because I think he'll be a total fuck up. Just being the "anti-Mack" isn't the answer to UT's problems. But I'm an OU fan so I guess that should be a good thing but I'm also a fair person and I don't like favoritism or discrimination. Both are wrong.

I remember thinking the same thing when OU hired Bob Stoops, who didn't even have head coaching experience. At first I was like, "Who the hell is Bob Stoops?", then laughed at the notion of OU hiring somebody who never had head coaching experience. Well, we all know how that turned out. Just saying, none of us know what's going to happen with Strong at the helm.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking the same thing when OU hired Bob Stoops, who didn't even have head coaching experience. At first I was like, "Who the hell is Bob Stoops?", then laughed at the notion of OU hiring somebody who never had head coaching experience. Well, we all know how that turned out. Just saying, none of us know what's going to happen with Strong at the helm.

^ beat me to it..

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Strong has to do is win. If he puts up more than 8 wins with what Mack left him at QB I'll be ECSTATIC

As far as recruiting goes, Aggy struck gold twice.....moving to the SEC AND JFF. They are the hot, IT program right now. But if they finish like they did last year in the middle of their own division, having to come from behind to beat Duke......that won't last.

If Texas starts winning and getting into the NC tourney, they'll once again be top dog in state. WINS are the only thing that actually matters, not conference affiliation when you are a program this big.

Strong has his work cut out for him. And quiet is kept, so does Sumlin at A&M. His defense is terrible......and he no longer has JFF. For all the hubbub, they won ONE more game than UT last year and didn't compete for the conference title, whereas Texas DID play for a conference title.

Let's try to keep this in perspective, folks.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bud Wilkinson never had any Head Coaching experience before Oklahoma.
Barry Switzer never had any Head Coaching experience before Oklahoma.

Try to keep up.:laugh3:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing seems to smack of a little bit of racism.

The author's whole premise is that Strong is somehow going to fail because a few Texas good old boys are worried about his public speaking ability. That makes me feel a bit uncomfortable even reading the article

The writer better be careful with this kind of stuff. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to write these types of things in a politically correct world.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't he deserve this job?

I've had a long career hiring people for high pressure/high reward positions. Granted, my experience is in the world of finance and private companies but the rules are the same when hiring people at the top of an organization. And since I view a head coach's job as the Chief Executive Officer of a football program I claim some expertise in judging the Texas hire of Charlie Strong. I will grant you there are some strong coaching strengths that he brings to the table. But the weaknesses that should disqualify him for being a CEO at an elite company (football program) are:

1. No prolonged period of success at an elite level.

2. Abysmal verbal communication skills.

3. Unfamiliarity with the culture he was hired in to.

4. Weak connections in his new work environment for sourcing and retaining people to work for him.

5. Not comfortable and polished with public relations responsibilities.

6. Too private personality that inevitably resents an intrusive press/shareholders/Board questions when things aren't going well.

On a football level this means:

1. Lack of experience being on staffs that won National Championships when he was there.

2. He couldn't sell Mary Kay cosmetics the way he speaks. How can he sell UT?

3. He has an inadequate knowledge of Texas, the culture of Texas and Texas-type power brokers.

4. He's starting way behind the curve with his lack of experience recruiting Texas athletes.

5. This a real deal killer at the University of Texas where the ability to schmooze is an essential job responsibility.

6. The press can be relentless and merciless when there's blood in the water. He also has no experience on an elite level fading the heat when things are going wrong. Managing a QB controversy, weathering a losing streak, etc. while leading an elite organization isn't on his resume.

Mr. Strong is a capable, talented man. He has his strengths. But he's thin skinned (witness his outrage and public comments about race being the reason he didn't get the Florida head coaching job). The man has too many shortcomings that people can and will use against him. Texas is no place for on-the-job training.

I'm betting he fails and is gone within 5 years and Texas will regret the hire.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a long career hiring people for high pressure/high reward positions. Granted, my experience is in the world of finance and private companies but the rules are the same when hiring people at the top of an organization. And since I view a head coach's job as the Chief Executive Officer of a football program I claim some expertise in judging the Texas hire of Charlie Strong. I will grant you there are some strong coaching strengths that he brings to the table. But the weaknesses that should disqualify him for being a CEO at an elite company (football program) are:

1. No prolonged period of success at an elite level.

2. Abysmal verbal communication skills.

3. Unfamiliarity with the culture he was hired in to.

4. Weak connections in his new work environment for sourcing and retaining people to work for him.

5. Not comfortable and polished with public relations responsibilities.

6. Too private personality that inevitably resents an intrusive press/shareholders/Board questions when things aren't going well.

On a football level this means:

1. Lack of experience being on staffs that won National Championships when he was there.

2. He couldn't sell Mary Kay cosmetics the way he speaks. How can he sell UT?

3. He has an inadequate knowledge of Texas, the culture of Texas and Texas-type power brokers.

4. He's starting way behind the curve with his lack of experience recruiting Texas athletes.

5. This a real deal killer at the University of Texas where the ability to schmooze is an essential job responsibility.

6. The press can be relentless and merciless when there's blood in the water. He also has no experience on an elite level fading the heat when things are going wrong. Managing a QB controversy, weathering a losing streak, etc. while leading an elite organization isn't on his resume.

Mr. Strong is a capable, talented man. He has his strengths. But he's thin skinned (witness his outrage and public comments about race being the reason he didn't get the Florida head coaching job). The man has too many shortcomings that people can and will use against him. Texas is no place for on-the-job training.

I'm betting he fails and is gone within 5 years and Texas will regret the hire.
You sure know your stuff. I guess you forgot those Florida teams.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will have the better HC legacy at Texas? Strong, Mackovic, or McWilliams? That's the question we might be asking in 5 years.

Or maybe not. Time will tell.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure know your stuff. I guess you forgot those Florida teams.

Not at all. Good experience. Of course he gets credit for that. I didn't make myself clear; experience over an extended period of time winning at that level. Lightening in a bottle counts but not the same as being around it for a longer period of time.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ol' Mack was a good salesman, until he started getting his ass handed to him.

Just win.

Absolutely. The bad situation Texas is in now has nothing, nada, to do with Strong and everything to do with the previous staffs' failure the past four years. Let the man develop and coach the players he has and start winning then come back to me about the fact that he's not slick with the media.