• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charlie already in over his head at ut

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, I don't hate anyone for being black. I don't hate him for being the Horns coach. I do admit I was a Mack Brown fan but his time had passed so it was time for a change. My contention is Strong will prove to be a bust. I know the Horns fans have high hopes but let's face it; you're Texas for God's sake. Hiring a guy like this (it makes no difference at all what his skin color is) was mistake. The only time race will enter into it is when he starts catching flak for not being successful enough and people will be walking on egg shells because complaints will be painted as "racist" by many people. It's a sad fact of life that the race card is play so hard and early in discussions that should be based on the merits of an argument, not the emotions of an argument. He didn't deserve a job like Texas. And that's coming from an OU fan. I'm a Sooner but I think the Horns fans on this board know I'm fair as can be when it comes to talking about the UT football program. I have a lot of respect for you guys. But you blew the hire.

You know, he may not succeed. Who knows? But to compare him to Blake is just wrong. Completely different: Blake could recruit and bullshit with the best of them. But he never was successful running a program. Strong was very successful doing just that.
The thing is, media don't like him. Media don't like anybody who won't play their game. And if you don't play their game, they will indeed stick you.
Travis Honey was a pussy to put that stuff in his article without getting them to allow to be quoted.
I know I'm biased but I bet Strong will produce a winning program at Texas.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing seems to smack of a little bit of racism.

The author's whole premise is that Strong is somehow going to fail because a few Texas good old boys are worried about his public speaking ability. That makes me feel a bit uncomfortable even reading the article

The writer better be careful with this kind of stuff. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to write these types of things in a politically correct world.

He got hit by a number of people. I commented on twitter and that Tennessee Vols coach responded. I think, reading between the lines, that he was a little uncomfortable too. Of course I could be reaching, but think he saw it as the coaching fraternity, that they (or him) could be trashed by an espins hack in an article with zero attribution.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing seems to smack of a little bit of racism.

The author's whole premise is that Strong is somehow going to fail because a few Texas good old boys are worried about his public speaking ability. That makes me feel a bit uncomfortable even reading the article

The writer better be careful with this kind of stuff. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to write these types of things in a politically correct world.

Coming from someone (me) who was born and raised in Texas, I unfortunately can assure you there is still racism in some of these Texas hs coaches. I don't like it, can't stand it, and am also very uncomfortable with it. But I am not so naive as to believe it doesn't exist.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and we all know that some of them are really pissed that he has a white wife.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An example: He said he intended to “put the ‘T’ back in Texas” with “toughness, trust, togetherness and teamwork.”

Or the primary mission being, “We want to see young men graduate,” and “We want to win championships,” because “there’s nothing more fun than a championship.”

I jotted “LOL” in my notebook when he told coaches “either you’re growing or you’re dying.”

In the most connective moment of his speech, Strong closed by inviting coaches to visit campus, and he actually acknowledged the situation. It might have been a nice place to start; it was the only portion that didn’t feel rehearsed or cliché-ridden.

“We are the premier university in this state,” he said. “I know you’re all watching to see what happens. We have some work to do. We’re going to get that done because of the staff we have.”

Can I ask WTF he was supposed to talk about? The author certainly didn't give any examples, just criticism.

He's never coached a football game at Texas and his affiliation with the state is de minimis, so what's he supposed to talk about? Louisville and Florida?

Here is the schedule, participants, and their subject matter, for the clinic.
Angelo Football Clinic: Super Bowl Champions. National Champions. Leaders in Rushing, Passing, Total Offense. Leaders in Rushing Defense, Passing Defense, Scoring Defense, and Total Defense. 11 Major Bowl Teams, Certificates will be available to docu

This is all it says for Charlie Strong's slot
"5:15 p.m. - 5:35 p.m. Charlie Strong, Head Coach, University of Texas."

It seems everybody else had an assigned topic but he. :noidea:

Last edited by a moderator:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2Q==

Sumlin seems to be doing well with recruiting kids from a bunch of racist HS Coaches...

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from someone (me) who was born and raised in Texas, I unfortunately can assure you there is still racism in some of these Texas hs coaches. I don't like it, can't stand it, and am also very uncomfortable with it. But I am not so naive as to believe it doesn't exist.

You are right. However, there is a lot of racism any place you go. I hate racism whether it's either favoritism (gotta let the black person get away with something and have advantages just because they are black) or discrimination (hold a person down just because they are black). Either way it's wrong. I say let a person sink or swim on their own merits. If they can't hack it then too bad. And if they are successful then hooray for them. In my perfect world nobody would get the benefit of the doubt or be put down until they had a fair and equal chance to prove themselves.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that if Texas has talent, and can get talent, all he has to do is coach that talent to perform at the highest level and maximize their potential which is what he suppose to be good at. If that happens, no one will give a crap how he speaks or doesn't speak. He brings discipline and structure, and this program needs that more than anything. The man deserves a chance before everyone starts criticizes him. Hell, he hasn't even coached one game yet.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Good experience. Of course he gets credit for that. I didn't make myself clear; experience over an extended period of time winning at that level. Lightening in a bottle counts but not the same as being around it for a longer period of time.

How many coaches have NC experience over an extended period of time? The list is basically 1 person and Saban's stayed. Strong's resume is about as solid as there was available. His coaching chops are well documented. Issue with Charlie was always Texas ties, Saban, and his willingness to be political. Winning pretty much cures both of those. Saban's and Stoops are complete pricks. Both are famous for their intolerance of the media. Both won, so now that is overlooked. I feel the biggest issue right now for Strong was all the Saban talk. He just was not the headline grabbing hire and because of that he was a let down.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong was not a letdown hire. Saban was always the smokescreen. Many of us Longhorns never thought Saban would be a good fit at Texas.

For decades Texas has been bad-mouthed by coaches, HS and College. The football trolls even get into it with their spiel of Texas should have won more NCs without even acknowledging how hard it is to win a NC.

I have always felt Strong will do well at Texas. The defense will be greatly improved and the offense will benefit from not having to win games, but to not lose them.

Those who think Strong should be getting the highly-rated recruits don't remember that he had 3 First round NFL draftees at Louisville. These 5 star recruits that he isn't getting don't want to live on campus as freshman. That "me first" attitude isn't the "Team First" attitude that wins NCs.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong was not a letdown hire. Saban was always the smokescreen. Many of us Longhorns never thought Saban would be a good fit at Texas.

:bullshit:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For decades Texas has been bad-mouthed by coaches, HS and College. The football trolls even get into it with their spiel of Texas should have won more NCs without even acknowledging how hard it is to win a NC.

I have always felt Strong will do well at Texas. The defense will be greatly improved and the offense will benefit from not having to win games, but to not lose them.

Those who think Strong should be getting the highly-rated recruits don't remember that he had 3 First round NFL draftees at Louisville. These 5 star recruits that he isn't getting don't want to live on campus as freshman. That "me first" attitude isn't the "Team First" attitude that wins NCs.

He was a let down. All the media hype was Saban's and Super Bowl winning coaches. That shaped the expectations, even if they were not reasonable. Has nothing to do with Strong's resume or ability, just the perception.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a letdown to me. Texas wasn't going to get a SB winning coach and Saban would not have even fit in at Texas. He hates the media, press conferences and tries to bully the press, that wouldn't work at Texas.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a letdown to me. Texas wasn't going to get a SB winning coach and Saban would not have even fit in at Texas. He hates the media, press conferences and tries to bully the press, that wouldn't work at Texas.

You know when I see the Thread title I think of Charlie42.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many coaches have NC experience over an extended period of time? The list is basically 1 person and Saban's stayed. Strong's resume is about as solid as there was available. His coaching chops are well documented. Issue with Charlie was always Texas ties, Saban, and his willingness to be political. Winning pretty much cures both of those. Saban's and Stoops are complete pricks. Both are famous for their intolerance of the media. Both won, so now that is overlooked. I feel the biggest issue right now for Strong was all the Saban talk. He just was not the headline grabbing hire and because of that he was a let down.

I agree with this summation….

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, the problem is, Austin wants so badly to be the LA of the MId-West, yet they forget their roots and still live their racist double standard bull shit lives.. fucking hypocrites

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the problem is, Austin wants so badly to be the LA of the MId-West, yet they forget their roots and still live their racist double standard bull shit lives.. fucking hypocrites

... and there's isn't any racism in LA??? Have you forgotten the 1992 Lost Angeles Race Riot and the previous incidents? Racism is alive and well in America, all of it.

Backroads

The One Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO...all the crying when he was hired, now the troops have rallied round and show support to the poor masses....