• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: Chappee's Mets are Champs, Nats have issues, Arrieta good at pitching

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when my colon starts getting hits, it's time to see the doc

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's the Giants' pitchers that have 7 HR's this year? I think I heard that the other day?

To hear Giants fans tell it, Bumgarner hits a HR from both sides of the plate every AB.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papelbon suspended for fight w/ Harper...done for remainder of season....

The Washington Nationals announced they have suspended closer Jonathan Papelbon for four games, a day after he choked teammate and National League MVP candidate Bryce Harper in the dugout.

The team suspension will kick in on Thursday after Papelbon first serves a three-game suspension that was levied by MLB last week for intentionally throwing at Baltimore Orioles third baseman Manny Machado. Papelbon had been appealing the league's suspension.

With seven games left to play, the combined seven-game suspension ends Papelbon's season.

The Nationals said Papelbon will not be paid during his team suspension.

"The behavior exhibited by Papelbon yesterday is not acceptable," Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement. "That is not at all in line with the way our players are expected to conduct themselves and the Nationals organization will not tolerate it in any way."

As punishment for his involvement, Harper will not be in the team's lineup Monday, manager Matt Williams announced.

"We'll do our best to move past this incident and move beyond that," Williams said.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what makes you think Wainwright could be healthy after missing the entire season basically?
Not much evidence he could unless he labeled his pee cup 'Cody Stanley'

Martinez going down is a massive blow. Sometimes a team just takes too many injuries.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Martinez going down is a massive blow. Sometimes a team just takes too many injuries.

Adam Wainwright (heel) made it through another simulated game Monday without issue.

Wainwright also performed fielding drills during the workout at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. He told reporters that he doesn't expect the Cardinals to ask him to pass any more tests. The veteran right-hander could make a relief appearance at some point this week and will be a nice weapon for the St. Louis bullpen during the playoffs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Wainwright (heel) made it through another simulated game Monday without issue.

Wainwright also performed fielding drills during the workout at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. He told reporters that he doesn't expect the Cardinals to ask him to pass any more tests. The veteran right-hander could make a relief appearance at some point this week and will be a nice weapon for the St. Louis bullpen during the playoffs.
Sure. I suspect that relief attempt will be against Atlanta and not Pittsburgh. You don't know if someone can pitch until they actually pitch, though.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know if someone can pitch until they actually pitch, though.

Rick Ankiel, Tony Larussa, and 2.4 million others like this

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean....they are a VERY resilient team. Losing Wainwright and Adams and missing Holliday for much of the season was barely even noticed. But they seem to be coming apart at the wrong time now. The good news for you is that I don't think the Dodgers can beat the Cards in the playoffs anyway. If you end up facing them, I would think the Cards advance.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely a nice weapon. But a simulated game is going to be a helluva lot different than pitching in the playoffs. Will he have enough time to properly ramp up at this point? Doesn't seem all that realistic.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papelbon suspended for fight w/ Harper...done for remainder of season....

And, most likely, he won't be seen in a Nats uniform ever again. I'm not sure why the decision to acquire Papelbon was made in the first place?? They were fine with Storen and would have been better off committing that $$ elsewhere.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer took a no-no into the 8th. He also just gave up an earned run. File this gem under "no one cares."

Last edited:

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a nice weapon. But a simulated game is going to be a helluva lot different than pitching in the playoffs. Will he have enough time to properly ramp up at this point? Doesn't seem all that realistic.
Similar to Wacha last year, I would think.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zack Grienke has made 9 starts against the Giants in his career. How many times has his team won?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean....they are a VERY resilient team. Losing Wainwright and Adams and missing Holliday for much of the season was barely even noticed. But they seem to be coming apart at the wrong time now. The good news for you is that I don't think the Dodgers can beat the Cards in the playoffs anyway. If you end up facing them, I would think the Cards advance.
I was under the assumption that the NL Central will play itself.

I think the likely scenario to play out is Cardinals barely holding on to the 1 seed, Pitt and Cubs play single elimination WC. Cubs shut down Pirates in Wild Card. Cardinals and Cubs play a series where the Cubs are favored and the media goes wild.

LA and NY on the other side.

It would be a huge win for baseball from a ratings standpoint.

Not that "likely scenario" and "playoff baseball" should ever be in the same sentence.