• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chad Henne

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Running back doesn't matter. You can find them anywhere. :behindsofa:

That's true. But they've already found their RB (and it helps he's one of the best in the league), so obviously that would be a consideration in assessing whether you want to start all over with a rookie QB (could take a decade to find the right one) or go with a proven vet QB.

Pretty simple logic. Not sure why I had to spell it out.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey is trolling. It must be Thursday.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many valid points.

I'm not saying there aren't risks involved, because there are. Smith will be looking over his shoulder. And that's expected. They'll have 11 days before a game if they were to trade for Palmer at the deadline. They'd be on the bye. So essentially 3 weeks for Palmer to prepare with 1 game passed. The other key here is Smith has been a very small part of the offense and of the total success so far and they're protecting him. The risk there isn't very high.

The biggest one is the possibility of the season going south after the Palmer trade. Unlikely, but possible. It's important not to forget Smith will still be on the roster. That said, first of all, if Palmer is brought in, you can expect the owner to have a huge hand in it, so the backlash from the organization wouldn't be as bad. From the media and fans, that's a different story. Secondly, the 4th down comparison is an apples to oranges comparison to this situation. There is no "book" on this. This unique circumstance has probably never happened in NFL history. Plus, new coaches that come in like to have their own QB. Harbaugh inherited Smith. He's in no way committed to him.

You're overblowing the "players will second guess their coach". Denver, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville (twice) have all changed QBs. Players just roll with the punches. Additionally, players respect Palmer. His abilities and what he's done. There won't be a single player in the lockerroom (except for Smith) second guessing the switch from Smith to Palmer. Not one.

At the end of the day, if you have the chance to upgrade from an Alex Smith to a Carson Palmer, it's a risk you have to take (at the right price), whether you're the coach or owner. It's the definition of low risk, high reward.

As I said before, this Sunday will probably have a huge factor in it.

Please refute my stats and tell me how Palmer of now is an upgrade over Smith?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. But they've already found their RB (and it helps he's one of the best in the league), so obviously that would be a consideration in assessing whether you want to start all over with a rookie QB (could take a decade to find the right one) or go with a proven vet QB.

Pretty simple logic. Not sure why I had to spell it out.

Because Palmer hasn't been proven for 4 years now. He hasn't been good since 2006. Note sure what you have been watching.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't consider Palmer a huge upgrade. You don't know if SF does either. Just as you pointed out our opinions are just that...your opinion that SF is interested is just that..your opinion. Harbaugh could have gone after Garrard if he really was interested in replacing Smith. Garrard has been available all year, and they could have signed him as insurance and already had him up to speed. They didn't. They're going with Smith.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider Palmer a huge upgrade. You don't know if SF does either. Just as you pointed out our opinions are just that...your opinion that SF is interested is just that..your opinion. Harbaugh could have gone after Garrard if he really was interested in replacing Smith. Garrard has been available all year, and they could have signed him as insurance and already had him up to speed. They didn't. They're going with Smith.

Facts mean nothing to him. SF is getting old even though they have exactly 4 starters over the age of 30. 2 of those being 30 and 2 being 32.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They didn't make a move all year to sign Garrard, who arguably, is better than Palmer, so why would they now? Also, there's this, for what it's worth. I asked Jason LaCanfora if the Niners would have any interest in Palmer if he actually were available. His reply was "I don't see that happening"

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't make a move all year to sign Garrard, who arguably, is better than Palmer, so why would they now? Also, there's this, for what it's worth. I asked Jason LaCanfora if the Niners would have any interest in Palmer if he actually were available. His reply was "I don't see that happening"

It isn't happening. It makes 0 sense.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People around the league obviously have a much higher regard for Palmer than anyone in Cincinnati. You don't have to google too many articles or videos of NFL analysts to figure that out. You're kidding yourself if you think anyone, let alone any coach, would think Palmer wouldn't be an upgrade over Smith. That's as close to fact as you can get without any tangible proof.

SF was reported to have offered a pretty hefty deal for Palmer before the season started. Not having signed Garrard means nothing. He's just not that good. No team has even looked at him. To say they didn't go after X QB so they must be happy with their current one is illogical.

NFL just a few days ago reported several (they may have said a couple) teams have called recently to the Bengals to find out Carson's availability.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MIA, SEA. There are your couple. SF is 4-1 and Smith is playing well. 3rd highest rated QB in the league. Warner has him as the 4th best QB in the league right now. I trust Warner more than you. You have stated 0 facts. Saying Palmer is better than Smith is an opinion. Palmer of 4 years ago year. Palmer of the last 4 years. Nope. And you didn't comeback to any of the stats I laid out for you, nore the fact that SF is a young team.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL. You had Vick as the best QB in the league last season. How has that worked out? I'm sorry, but I'm not in the business of judging a QB by a few games while disregarding the rest of his career. But have at it.

I'm not going to argue stats about Palmer and Smith. Waste of time. It's your own prerogative if you think Smith is any more than a bottom tier QB in this league. Others know better.

That's nice that you proved SF is a young team...or so you say. I glossed over your post. That said, when you decide to refute the 3 points I made in that post, then come talk to me. And for the record, it may very well turn out I was incorrect on the age of the team (though I wouldn't classify Davis as young), but there are still 2 solid reasons for why it's a reasonable assumption to assume they'd still have interest in Palmer. I'll be waiting.

Miami has even less of a reason to go after Palmer than SF. And my intention wasn't to say a couple teams have interest so SF must be one of them. But the fact that you think it means anything that you say "Sea and Miami...there are your couple" means anything is....I'll leave it at that.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since when is 27 not young? Changing a QB has every effect on that. It changes chemistry, it changes the locker room vibe, media start hounding people, other people start looking over their shoulder wondering if you are going to replace them. I mean if you can replace the 3rd highest rated QB in the league why couldn't you replace others. Also draft picks are players. They are players who could help you more in the future and could turn into all pro players. You also lose the cap room Palmer would take up which is a lot so there are more players you lose.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey is like a cult leader in his persuasion, he wears you down trying to get you to accept a bad idea and call it a good idea. eventually, someone is going to give in

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL. I just read that thread. With the exception of 1-2 posters, everyone elses reasoning is either *Palmer is a quitter or **they have an over-valued sense of what Smith is.

*Unfortunately for them, the league doesn't see him as such. Every analyst you hear or read what has to say, they're sympathetic to him and his situation.
**Not surprising. Fans tend to do this with high round draft picks. We've done it with Simpson and with Smith. Simpson especially. 3 years of failure, and then 2 games and all of a sudden we feel we have hope for him.

Nonetheless, what any of those posters said is not any different than what the posters - some of whom have made the same and better arguments - on this thread have said.

This from the start was more a philosophical debate than anything else under the basic assumptions and likely facts that 1) Palmer>Smith and 2) Smith's play is a mirage, so not sure what was proven here. SF fans cannot provide any extra insight than any other poster in this thread 1) philosophically, 2) whether Palmer>Smith, or 3) if Smith's "production" will be short-lived or limited (his career will attest to that). So, you wasted your time.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. I just read that thread. With the exception of 1-2 posters, everyone elses reasoning is either *Palmer is a quitter or **they have an over-valued sense of what Smith is.

*Unfortunately for them, the league doesn't see him as such. Every analyst you hear or read what has to say, they're sympathetic to him and his situation.
**Not surprising. Fans tend to do this with high round draft picks. We've done it with Simpson and with Smith. Simpson especially. 3 years of failure, and then 2 games and all of a sudden we feel we have hope for him.

Nonetheless, what any of those posters said is not any different than what the posters - some of whom have made the same and better arguments - on this thread have said.

This from the start was more a philosophical debate than anything else under the basic assumptions and likely facts that 1) Palmer>Smith and 2) Smith's play is a mirage, so not sure what was proven here. SF fans cannot provide any extra insight than any other poster in this thread 1) philosophically, 2) whether Palmer>Smith, or 3) if Smith's "production" will be short-lived or limited (his career will attest to that). So, you wasted your time.

Lol you are such a troll. I have rebutted every point you have made. I have given facts and backed my points up. You have given no facts, backed your opinion and all these "analysts" up with no evidence whatsoever. Palmer from early in his career>Smith. Palmer now<Smith. Especially in an offense he doesn't know, with players he has no timing with and no time to learn the playbook. That is common sense. Though I know you have none of that. How do you know Smiths play was a mirage? Maybe there is just finally a system that fits him there. You have 0 facts in your entire argument. Nothing to back your side up. You are the only person on that side. Even football people such as Jason LaCanfora basically said it ain't happening. And as for SF fans, they have seen more than you have, you have no idea how long Smiths top 3 production will last. Again the analyst I have heard talk about Smith says he is a top 4 QB.

So in conclusion. You have 0 facts to back up your opinion. No one else on your side. Nothing to back you up. You are a useless troll who I would much rather not be on this board ever again. Thank you.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but, cult leaders get the chicks and the money if they are good at it.

Flaming is a 15 year old boy who is gonna live in his moms basement for the rest of his life wondering what a real vagina feels like.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I knew the concepts and logic in my post would go clear over your head.

For someone who loves to rave that I'm a troll, you sure spend a lot of time arguing with me. You just can't stay away can you?