• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chad Henne

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Many of these analysts continued to discuss Palmer's potential even as he struggled through the last 2 seasons.

I guess he saw what many of us saw. An offense in disarray due to the most bland offensive system probably in the history of the NFL and receivers who cared little about football at least relative to their own image. One is out of the league and the other (traded for a 5th? round pick) a long after-thought, and many times speculated to possibly be outright released from the best offense the NFL has maybe ever seen. Many factors went into Palmer's lackluster numbers. People see this.

One thing many Bengals fans like to do:

-When talking about Brat, talk about how he's probably the worst OC ever. Bland offense. Predictable. Give him the lion's share of the blame. 75+% type blame.
-When talking about TO/Ocho, talk about how their heads weren't into it. Prima donnas. Shell of their former selves. Lost steps. Give them the lion's share of the blame. 75+% type blame.
-When talking about Carson, talk about how he's not a shell of his former self and that he's done. The likes of Alex Smith are better. Give him the lion's share of the blame. 75+% type blame.

It's very convenient.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Palmer did have his own issues. He often sailed passes high for no real reason. He tried to force balls into coverage more often than he should. He continually threw off his back foot, resulting in those bad throws. Let's not make him out to be Tom Brady on a bad team. He's at best an average QB at this point.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, and I think this is the biggest issue palmer has...he lacks leadership ability at a position that pretty much demands leadership. You don't see Chad doing his "thing" in N.E. and it's not because he sucks. It's because he knows that Tom Brady would show up at his front door after practice one day and punch him square in the face. Palmer would yell at Chad. Chad would yell back. Then Palmer would go sulk on the bench about how Chad running the wrong route cost him an INT, or another dropped pass cost them a 1st down because he didn't want to get laid out.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good point also. I just don't think Palmer has any Pro-Bowl years left in him. The high opinions that some people have are based on name recognition and on hopes that he can be what he was 5 years ago. I don't think he can. He could be average if he isn't asked to do too much. He's not a guy to rely on to carry a team.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palmer did have his own issues. He often sailed passes high for no real reason. He tried to force balls into coverage more often than he should. He continually threw off his back foot, resulting in those bad throws. Let's not make him out to be Tom Brady on a bad team. He's at best an average QB at this point.

My post was about the people around him not an assessment of him, so not sure how you infer me implying he was a Tom Brady on a bad team. Reaching a bit?

He did sail passes high often. He quit going through his progressions like he used to. Essentially he lost confidence in his oline. Throwing off his back foot and throwing into coverage were a partial result of that. The rest was that he really was getting little to no time and with how bland the offense was. Players just weren't getting open.

I believe he can still play at a top 10 level.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, and I think this is the biggest issue palmer has...he lacks leadership ability at a position that pretty much demands leadership. You don't see Chad doing his "thing" in N.E. and it's not because he sucks. It's because he knows that Tom Brady would show up at his front door after practice one day and punch him square in the face. Palmer would yell at Chad. Chad would yell back. Then Palmer would go sulk on the bench about how Chad running the wrong route cost him an INT, or another dropped pass cost them a 1st down because he didn't want to get laid out.

The last time the media was ripping Chad for his tweets, Brady came to his defense. And where was Brady ripping into Chad for all but costing them the game against the Bills?

It isn't the QB's job to keep the other players in line. On any team. That's what a coach is there for. The coaches all nurtured to him. And the owner wasn't any better. Brown not trading him even when Marvin wanted him gone after his trade demand. Chad publicly battling Marvin and taking shots at him. Heck, he swung at his receivers coach during halftime of the 2005 playoff game. Never any repercussions. Not once.

Chad isn't afraid of Brady. He's afraid of Belichick. He knows that organization doesn't put up with that crap.

Furthermore, he still doesn't know the playbook. He's still probably freelancing to an extent out there as a byproduct of not knowing the playbook. He is still a media whore. So what has changed except for his player-coach relationship, his fear of the organization, and his demotion from top dog for a decade to a nobody on the club?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to have seen Palmer play in this offense with Green and Gresham and without Ocho.....he may have been rejuvenated....but I also agree with the points in here questioning his leadership.....he's retired, though, for better or for worse.....doubtful Mike Brown will back down anytime soon, and I always took Carson at his word that he would retire rather than ever play for the Bengals again.....

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
John Clayton tweeted about an hour ago that there was 0 chance Palmer would be traded before the deadline.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 the return of Carson Palmer.

until then, he can only play catch with TJ

He gave Mike Brown the opportunity to show people who's boss, that was the wrong thing to do.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
According to Lombardi on NFLN, his sources say Palmer has been in direct contact with MB, and MB still wants him to come back.. either that or stay in retirement...

3-2 with a rookie QB and he's still not ready to move on

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Lombardi on NFLN, his sources say Palmer has been in direct contact with MB, and MB still wants him to come back.. either that or stay in retirement...

I don't suppose Palmer could sue him for something?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Brown is an idiot. I could understand him holding this stance before the regular season started, and even a game or 2 into the season. But we're about to be 6 games into the season heading into a 4-2 record. The team seems to love Dalton, and Brown is still stuck on Palmer coming back.

I could understand if Brown said he's not trading Palmer because he thinks Palmer's value will be higher in the offseason, but to say I'm not trading Palmer because I still want him to come back is ludicrous. That ship has sailed.

The only way Palmer gets traded now is if he shows up Monday and Marvin somehow forces Brown to trade him. You can put all that happening at 0%. I'm now convinced Palmer isn't going anywhere until the offseason.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, i thought Brown might have been forcing him to sit out on princple. just to show players in the future that regardless of the circumstances there's no way out...

the fact that Lombardi is claiming that Brown is still telling Palmer he wants him to play with the Bengals is insane..

unless Mike Brown is "welcoming" him back so Palmer knows he can't force a trade/cut by showing up...

this has been a crazy standoff. as a lifelong football fan I've never seen anything like it at any level

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palmer has to come back. I don't see another way around it...

either that or there's a possibility that he's done as an NFL QB

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he's going to show up. I just don't see it.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. If he were to come back, it would be next training camp if Brown still hasn't traded him by then.