• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB has basically become the SEC,Clemson, and Ohio State

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all be honest and put our homerism to the side for a minute. The elite coaches (let's say the top 10) could win a NC if they had the talent on their team that Alabama, LSU, Clemson and Ohio State have

I am going to dispute your premise because recruiting is as major a part of coaching as game management. Were Gus, for an example near and dear to my heart, nearly as good as a recruiter as Saban … we would have equivalent recruiting classes.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get beat or drilled just like OU did. Maybe not quite as bad as OU did. But, LSU ain't the entire SEC. Kentucky wouldn't beat OU, Utah or Oregon like LSU did if at all...and they are in the SEC last I checked. If you believe they would....to each his own. I just don't see it.

On the flip side, had any of the conference champs from any P5 lost their CCG and not gotten into the CFP, how do you think their alt conference champs would have fared against UGA/Bama/LSU? I know that it is speculation, but the SEC has multiple teams that would have competed if not dominated and I do not see that in the other P5 conferences because they just are not that deep.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking loser ass underachieving 5* only schools

Eat a bag of shit.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'll agree with this 100%. I think we are seeing that with LSU this year.

But, that ain't all 14 of 'em either.

I agree but emphasize that a conference is measured by the teams at the top, not the bottom. Ole Miss/Vandy/ Kentucky does not define the SEC's strength whereas Alabama/Auburn/LSU/UGA/UF does. It is cyclical but I would put money on the top five from the SEC against the top five of any other conference on a neutral field in practically any year of the last quarter century and expect … not hope but expect … a winning record. Granted I am a homer, but that doesn't mean I am wrong on this.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the flip side, had any of the conference champs from any P5 lost their CCG and not gotten into the CFP, how do you think their alt conference champs would have fared against UGA/Bama/LSU? I know that it is speculation, but the SEC has multiple teams that would have competed if not dominated and I do not see that in the other P5 conferences because they just are not that deep.
I really have no idea because it is speculation as you say.

Off the top of my head I think Utah/Oregon would do very well against Georgia but not very well against Bama. Same with Wisconsin. I don't think Virginia or Baylor would do very well against either one. (We'll see with Baylor vs Georgia but I don't put a lot of stock in those type games. Georgia's probably disappointed again and Rhule's all but gone at Baylor it sounds like.)

But, that's all speculation.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but emphasize that a conference is measured by the teams at the top, not the bottom. Ole Miss/Vandy/ Kentucky does not define the SEC's strength whereas Alabama/Auburn/LSU/UGA/UF does. It is cyclical but I would put money on the top five from the SEC against the top five of any other conference on a neutral field in practically any year of the last quarter century and expect … not hope but expect … a winning record. Granted I am a homer, but that doesn't mean I am wrong on this.
Then one should signify "the best in the SEC/B1G" etc and not use Conference as an entireity.

Don't know about a quarter century but I'd agree with you the past several years. I think they SEC would be 3-2 or better in most of those years. Maybe 5-0. But I don't think the games would be as lopsided all the time as you do.

Assuming I have the top five in each conference in the correct order for this year, I'd say the SEC would definitely do so.

LSU vs Clem/Ohio State/Oregon/OU LSU beats all four (We'll see against Clem)
Georgia vs Virginia/Wisconsin/Utah/Baylor Georgia beats Virginia for sure but Wisky and Utah have a chance
Bama vs Va Tech/Penn State/USC/K-State Bama beats all four IMO
Florida vs Louisville/Minnesota/Washington/Okie Lite Florida is at least 2-2 if not 3-1
Auburn vs Pitt/Michigan/Arizona State/Iowa State Auburn is 4-0 IMO.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to dispute your premise because recruiting is as major a part of coaching as game management. Were Gus, for an example near and dear to my heart, nearly as good as a recruiter as Saban … we would have equivalent recruiting classes.

I agree with you 100%. What I was saying is if the elite talent was there for several schools, the coaching is good enough at the top of the talent pool that more teams would be playing very competitively against each other. But you're right, the ability to get that talent varies from coach to coach even among the best ones in the business.....and that is crucial to getting to the level LSU, Clemson, Alabama, OSU, etc. are now.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Off the top of my head I think Utah/Oregon would do very well against Georgia but not very well against Bama. Same with Wisconsin. I don't think Virginia or Baylor would do very well against either one. (We'll see with Baylor vs Georgia but I don't put a lot of stock in those type games. Georgia's probably disappointed again and Rhule's all but gone at Baylor it sounds like.)

I agree with what you said but want to extend it to my point … and I want to remind everyone reading this that it is speculation … but match up from any one conference with this year's teams:
1. LSU vs
2. UGA vs
3. Alabama vs
4. Florida vs
5. Auburn vs

IMHO there is not a conference that could match their top five in order against ours and expect to win 3 of the five. The homer in me says that it is true nearly every year. I honestly think that any of our top three or four could realistically have won ... not a sure thing but have a realistic chance … the CFP against the current field compared to the top three or four teams of any other conference.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you said but want to extend it to my point … and I want to remind everyone reading this that it is speculation … but match up from any one conference with this year's teams:
1. LSU vs
2. UGA vs
3. Alabama vs
4. Florida vs
5. Auburn vs

IMHO there is not a conference that could match their top five in order against ours and expect to win 3 of the five. The homer in me says that it is true nearly every year. I honestly think that any of our top three or four could realistically have won ... not a sure thing but have a realistic chance … the CFP against the current field compared to the top three or four teams of any other conference.
See post #86

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody else can keep up. Is this bad for the long term health of the game? Ohio State is the only team outside of the south that can compete right now.
No

It's cyclical even if the cycles can last a decade or more. Some other team will rise up like Clemson did and someone else will fall on hard times leaving room for the next tier to step up.

And no matter how the chips fall at the top, I'll still love watching my team and the others I like. It won't change a thing.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you 100%. What I was saying is if the elite talent was there for several schools, the coaching is good enough at the top of the talent pool that more teams would be playing very competitively against each other. But you're right, the ability to get that talent varies from coach to coach even among the best ones in the business.....and that is crucial to getting to the level LSU, Clemson, Alabama, OSU, etc. are now.

Mea culpa … I wasn't sure of the point you were making and I do totally agree with you. I claim the "I was thinking while sober" defense. :suds:

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon, most definitely. They have gone through 2 coaches since then though.

USC? Gotta go back a decade to find them on the radar of serious national relevancy. Last Natty was 2004. HS kids were 3 when that happened.

Sure...but that is still a far cry from "50 years since relevant". No team was more dominant in the 2000s than USC.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After Tua went out, Oregon likely is favored vs. Bama.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many CFP titles do those three have? None, zip, zero, nada.... Hell, two of 'em hadn't even been to the CFP until this year. One still hasn't!

But, I hope LSU gets one. (Sorry Clemson fans) We need a new name on the trophy.

I know, I know, Georgia has been to the CFP and won a game. Guess what, so has Oregon!
Auburn has a national championship this decade and played for another. Don't be ridiculous.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure...but that is still a far cry from "50 years since relevant". No team was more dominant in the 2000s than USC.

JFC.

10 years is now 50 years. Get your panties out of a wad.

USC isn't the owner of the 2000's. Share it with LSU and Florida. You had your 3 year run and only 1 true Natty.

If you want 2000's since, then Bama win's that title in spades.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC.

10 years is now 50 years. Get your panties out of a wad.

USC isn't the owner of the 2000's.
Share it with LSU and Florida. You had your 3 year run and only 1 true Natty.

If you want 2000's since, then Bama win's that title in spades.

Again...no one was more dominant in the 2000s than USC. It really isn't debatable.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then one should signify "the best in the SEC/B1G" etc and not use Conference as an entireity.

Don't know about a quarter century but I'd agree with you the past several years. I think they SEC would be 3-2 or better in most of those years. Maybe 5-0. But I don't think the games would be as lopsided all the time as you do.

Assuming I have the top five in each conference in the correct order for this year, I'd say the SEC would definitely do so.

LSU vs Clem/Ohio State/Oregon/OU LSU beats all four (We'll see against Clem)
Georgia vs Virginia/Wisconsin/Utah/Baylor Georgia beats Virginia for sure but Wisky and Utah have a chance
Bama vs Va Tech/Penn State/USC/K-State Bama beats all four IMO
Florida vs Louisville/Minnesota/Washington/Okie Lite Florida is at least 2-2 if not 3-1

Auburn vs Pitt/Michigan/Arizona State/Iowa State Auburn is 4-0 IMO.

That is very valid point and I should have been more precise. In my train of thought, a conference is defined by the depth of top tier schools and/or lack thereof, not the mid and lower tiers. Auburn has been in all three tiers over the last decade.

IMHO you may be too generous to the SEC on the hypothetical matchups but my point is more geared towards saying that we have more top tier teams and therefore our fourth and fifth teams are more of a challenge to any other conference's champion/runner up than vice versa. To put it more simply, recent history … which is in no way a guarantee of future performances … shows that even if our traditional blue bloods do not make the CFP, we have much better chances of competing in the playoffs than other conferences.