• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB has basically become the SEC,Clemson, and Ohio State

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because LSU, Georgia and Auburn deserve the consideration.
Because LSU, Georgia and Auburn deserve the consideration.
And how many CFP titles do those three have? None, zip, zero, nada.... Hell, two of 'em hadn't even been to the CFP until this year. One still hasn't!

But, I hope LSU gets one. (Sorry Clemson fans) We need a new name on the trophy.

I know, I know, Georgia has been to the CFP and won a game. Guess what, so has Oregon!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While college football is cyclical, I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going away any time soon in the CFP playoff. They are the conferences with the most power, the most money, and the largest footprints regarding population and TV sets.
Don't you mean "some of the SEC or Big 10"? Although I'd love to see it, I just don't see Purdue or Miss State in the CFP in the near future and/or on a regular basis. Ohio State and Alabama, yeah, but not the likes of the previous.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many CFP titles do those three have? None, zip, zero, nada.... Hell, two of 'em hadn't even been to the CFP until this year. One still hasn't!

But, I hope LSU gets one. (Sorry Clemson fans) We need a new name on the trophy.

I know, I know, Georgia has been to the CFP and won a game. Guess what, so has Oregon!

CFP titles are a tad bit rough of a qualification factor.

LSU has won 2 National titles since the turn of the century and Auburn has won one as well. Georgia has been eerily close after losing to Alabama in OT in one of the best Championship games in recent history just 3 years ago.

How close have any teams from any other conference been?

CUScorpion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has never been fired from Clemson. Without Clemson he’s a commercial real estate agent in Birmingham instead of a multi-millionaire football coach.

Don’t argue with that guy, his teams’ mama called their boy home and he sucks. Dabo is a family man with two sons on the team and soon to be another. That combined with the legacy he has built at Clemson means more to him than anything else.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LSU has won 2 National titles since the turn of the century and Auburn has won one as well. Georgia has been eerily close after losing to Alabama in OT in one of the best Championship games in recent history just 3 years ago.

Oregon and USC certainly have had near misses for NCs.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you are talking Big 12, none. They haven't even made it to a final. The PAC 12 made one final but it really wasn't close.

But, Bama is not the entire SEC. Bama, Lsu, Auburn and Georgia aren't the entire SEC either. And Ohio State and Michigan State aren't the entire B1G and those are the only two B1G teams to make it.

And, the ACC has won more CFPs than the B1G. Them and the SEC are the only "conferences" to have had representatives all six years. The other three conferences have been skunked at least one of the years.

It is about teams, not conferences IMO. The majority of the teams in all five conferences are just riding along on the success of the top teams. Again, JMO.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree CFP titles (and even appearances) are rough for qualifications. But, that's the world we live in now isn't it?

And, how far back are we going? Pre CFP? Pre BCS? Pre 1990?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon, most definitely. They have gone through 2 coaches since then though.

USC? Gotta go back a decade to find them on the radar of serious national relevancy. Last Natty was 2004. HS kids were 3 when that happened.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking Big 12, none. They haven't even made it to a final. The PAC 12 made one final but it really wasn't close.

But, Bama is not the entire SEC. Bama, Lsu, Auburn and Georgia aren't the entire SEC either. And Ohio State and Michigan State aren't the entire B1G and those are the only two B1G teams to make it.

And, the ACC has won more CFPs than the B1G. Them and the SEC are the only "conferences" to have had representatives all six years. The other three conferences have been skunked at least one of the years.

It is about teams, not conferences IMO. The majority of the teams in all five conferences are just riding along on the success of the top teams. Again, JMO.

Completely disagree.

Georgia, LSU, Florida, and Auburn are next level to Alabama the last decade. So has been the rest of the entire college football world.

Big 10 has Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State as serious football teams as well. Consistent Top 10 to 15 teams in the last 4 to 5 years.

Big 12 has had OU with Texas trying to rebuild. Maybe Baylor can win some with defense under Rhule, but that remains to be seen. Huge year for them though. Can't see anybody else really being competitive in that conference with any hope of a CFP bid and the 2 wins to get it done.

Pac 12? I gave you the 3 teams. The rest simply will never ever be good enough to win back-to-back games against Top 5 level teams.

We saw the competition factor on serious display when LSU played Oklahoma. What do you think happens to a Utah or an Oregon against that team?

There is a gap athletically, physically, and competitively with these teams.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While college football is cyclical, I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going away any time soon in the CFP playoff. They are the conferences with the most power, the most money, and the largest footprints regarding population and TV sets.

The SEC is in the absolute heart of stud football country. You want DL, LBs, CBs and speed, that is where they are, and with the defensive players they can assemble and the speed they can throw at teams on offense, they are gonna be around for any type of 20 year forseeable future. They would need a run of some seriously bad coaches like they have had in ages past to be also rans. Not sure I see that either with the amount of money they are willing to pay coaches and separate themselves from others.

Clemson has a once in a generation coach that truly 'gets is' and connects with players like none other. Does he move on to Alabama if the opportunity comes about is the question? If I were him, I'd stay at Clemson and try to build a dynasty. All the pieces are there for him to do it, and he is obviously well on his way.

Big 12 and Pac 12 simply have to get better. I think the Big 12 will. It is just a matter of time before they get better defensively and get more physical. Too many good HS kids in Texas, and OU and Texas have brands that recruit nationally.

I think the Pac 12 is in trouble though. Football on the Left coast is losing more and more popularity as time goes by. California is certainly a hot bed for recruits, but too many teams from other conferences nitpick top end players out of there, and the rest simply aren't enough to sustain the 12 teams, much less build a power unless it is USC or UW or Oregon. One of those teams needs to absolutely dominate recruiting for a few years and build a monster. Oregon had a solid run, and they did dominate the Pac12 for a while and had some decent shots at National Titles. It certainly can be done. USC might have bigger fish to fry with their college entrance scandal. Not sold that Mario Cristobal is the answer at Oregon, but he has a lot of SE ties, and has certainly made a huge impact on their defense. Has Petersen plateaued at UDub? They have to recruit better under his watch.

:suds::suds::suds::salute::salute::salute:

I am admittedly a SEC homer but taking that into consideration I will say this: the biggest difference between the SEC and the rest of the conferences is shown in the BCS era onward: we had five teams … Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Florida ... win the SEC and BCSNCG while only the Big 12 had two different Champions win the BCSCG. IIRC only the Big East had two different conference champs even play in the BCSCG.

Granted the numbers have evened out in the CFP era as far as different conference teams making the CFP, IMHO it holds that the SEC is the only conference where their CFP perennial favorites can drop off and the conference still has a great chance at obtaining the CFP championship.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all be honest and put our homerism to the side for a minute. The elite coaches (let's say the top 10) could win a NC if they had the talent on their team that Alabama, LSU, Clemson and Ohio State have. The conference they're in makes no difference and neither does the school's "blue blood" status. TALENT is the deciding factor when the coaching ability is roughly equal on the sidelines. The SEC rules the roost and Clemson/Ohio State are right there with them. If USC, OU, Michigan, Oregon, Texas or a few other schools were suddenly in the SEC, they would soon be killing it too with their recruiting and talent-wise they could then match up with the Big Boys. But that's fantasy and the reality is this: for the foreseeable future the SEC is going to rule college football with the occasional challenge from a team like Clemson or Ohio State. That's why I've changed my mind about expanding the playoffs. I was in favor of it until it became obvious that the BEST teams in the country are certainly not all conference champions from around the country. I hate affirmative action so now I support a four team playoff and I don't give a damn if 1-2-3-4 teams in the playoff are from any one conference. I want the best teams playing for the NC and if that hurts teams like OU then tough titty.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last Natty was 2004.

I still refuse to recognize that a team in the BCS era that did not play in the BCSCG can claim a natty that year. Whether anyone agrees, disagrees or is indifferent does not change my opinion. We had a system that was agreed on by all of the conferences and that was not part of the agreement. In all fairness, Auburn could claim five more natties but I would nor recognize them either.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While college football is cyclical, I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going away any time soon in the CFP playoff.

Georgia, LSU, Florida, and Auburn are next level to Alabama the last decade. So has been the rest of the entire college football world.

Big 10 has Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State as serious football teams as well. Consistent Top 10 to 15 teams in the last 4 to 5 years.

Big 12 has had OU with Texas trying to rebuild. Maybe Baylor can win some with defense under Rhule, but that remains to be seen. Huge year for them though. Can't see anybody else really being competitive in that conference with any hope of a CFP bid and the 2 wins to get it done.
Husker, those you listed aren't the whole conference. I agree some teams from those conference will continue to be in the mix, but many others won't...so it ain't the conference. It is a representative of the conference...and those are limited to only a few members.

I'd agree 100% if you'd have mentioned some of the teams from those conferences. You really think Purdue and Miss State are going to make the CFP soon?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw the competition factor on serious display when LSU played Oklahoma. What do you think happens to a Utah or an Oregon against that team?
They get beat or drilled just like OU did. Maybe not quite as bad as OU did. But, LSU ain't the entire SEC. Kentucky wouldn't beat OU, Utah or Oregon like LSU did if at all...and they are in the SEC last I checked. If you believe they would....to each his own. I just don't see it.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Husker, those you listed aren't the whole conference. I agree some teams from those conference will continue to be in the mix, but many others won't...so it ain't the conference. It is a representative of the conference...and those are limited to only a few members.

I'd agree 100% if you'd have mentioned some of the teams from those conferences. You really think Purdue and Miss State are going to make the CFP soon?

Where did I ever mention Purdue and Miss State?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the SEC is the only conference where their CFP perennial favorites can drop off and the conference still has a great chance at obtaining the CFP championship.
Now I'll agree with this 100%. I think we are seeing that with LSU this year.

But, that ain't all 14 of 'em either.