• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics looked lost 20 games in

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure... anything's possible... I didn't get the feeling watching that game that the '6ers had put their Boston Blues behind them.

Like I said earlier, though, one benefit of the upcoming playoffs for Philly is that they may not have to play Boston. But Kawhi and Toronto loom on the horizon, and that's gonna be a tough one. Where I see Bucks v. Celtics as even up, maybe slight edge to Boston (my homer opinion)... I think the Raptors are solid favorites v. Philly.

We'll see, though. Only time will tell.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure... anything's possible... I didn't get the feeling watching that game that the '6ers had put their Boston Blues behind them, though.

Like I said earlier, though, one benefit of the upcoming playoffs for Philly is that they may not have to play Boston. Kawhi and Toronto loom on the horizon, and that's gonna be a tough one. Where I see Bucks v. Celtics as even up, maybe slight edge to Boston (my homer opinion)... I think the Raptors are solid favorites v. Philly.

We'll see, though. Only time will tell.

So you give the Celtics a slight edge against the team with the best player and best record in basketball where they have home court advantage? Yeah. Homer might best describe that.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of sleepwalking into the playoffs, but this appears to be the complete opposite of last year for the Sixers. They still haven't played many games together, I question the rotations, and turnovers.

My confidence is not high, but the Sixers are definitely in the conversation.
That being said, I could see them losing in the first round and I could see them winning the East. I have no idea what to expect, which bothers me, but could also be used to confuse other teams.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you give the Celtics a slight edge against the team with the best player and best record in basketball where they have home court advantage? Yeah. Homer might best describe that.
Time will tell, of course.

This is the NBA we're talking about, though. It's not unheard-of for the regular season to be one thing and the post-season to be something different.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell, of course.

This is the NBA we're talking about, though. It's not unheard-of for the regular season to be one thing and the post-season to be something different.

The Celtics may beat the Bucks. But they aren't going to be considered the favorite, or even a push, for anyone who isn't a Celtics fan.

IMO, the Celtics better not look past the Pacers.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics may beat the Bucks. But they aren't going to be considered the favorite, or even a push, for anyone who isn't a Celtics fan.
I bet some talking head / media types pick them... especially if Boston walks over Indy, which they should do if they're a serious contender.
flyer said:
IMO, the Celtics better not look past the Pacers.
It's definitely a break to catch Indy sans Oladipo.

I like Indy and think they maximize their potential. That being said: the Pacers got a bad beat with the injury and then a bad draw round 1.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet some talking head / media types pick them... especially if Boston walks over Indy, which they should do if they're a serious contender.

Some talking heads will pick the Pacers to beat the Celtics. Doesn't mean that is an even up series.

It's definitely a break to catch Indy sans Oladipo.

I like Indy and think they maximize their potential. That being said: the Pacers got a bad beat with the injury and then a bad draw round 1.

The Celtics should beat the Pacers. But they could definitely win that series. The Pacers could really control the paint which could cause a lot of problems for the Celtics. And while there are a lot

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some talking heads will pick the Pacers to beat the Celtics. Doesn't mean that is an even up series.
Barring some late development/injury, I would be shocked if any amount do. We'll see, I guess.
flyer said:
The Celtics should beat the Pacers. But they could definitely win that series. The Pacers could really control the paint which could cause a lot of problems for the Celtics. And while there are a lot
With Baynes back, it's pretty unlikely the Celtics are gonna get pushed around.

At full health, the C's are one of the most physical and versatile teams in the NBA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be lying if I said I knew what to expect from any of the top East teams.

They all have serious questions to answer.
Agree....but if things go according to plan round 2 will be fun to watch for a neutral fan.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been an uneven, disappointing regular season...

... that being said, the C's are in pretty good shape for the postseason:
  • relatively healthy, with no major injuries
  • Hayward has slowly and steadily been playing better over the course of the season
  • They likely face Indiana sans Oladipo in round 1
  • They likely don't have to worry about a possible meeting with Toronto until the ECF's
Given the season, can't complain about where Boston is now. Time to flip the switch and make a serious run at the Finals.
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.,......but if they had a coach other than Stevens he'd get ripped for what could be called an underachieving reg. season.

As long as they get it together in time, though............

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a 3 team race for the Finals... (Philly isn't in the discussion, IMO).

I'd rank them as follows... 1. Toronto, 2. Boston, 3. Milwaukee... but it's so close between them that it makes a very interesting argument... and, of couse, a great potential playoffs season.
I wouldn't rule out Philly with all their talent....just need to play together

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree....but if things go according to plan round 2 will be fun to watch for a neutral fan.

Looking forward to it.

Don't think there will be any first round upsets in the East, but even if there are round 2 should be really good.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At full health, the C's are one of the most physical and versatile teams in the NBA.

This has been pretty disappointing all season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'd say he's a little more important than a backup and a dime a dozen starting center.

When people are rationalizing losses, they tend to overstate the importance of injured players en such.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been pretty disappointing all season.
Yeah... no doubt.

As I've said along the way, though... Baynes is an overlooked key to the Celtics team. The C's have replacements and redundancies up and down their roster... except for Baynes and the 5 spot. No one replaces his defense and toughness on the front line, not even Horford.

Baynes getting hurt several times this year has been a key contributor to the up and down campaign, IMO.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'd say he's a little more important than a backup and a dime a dozen starting center.
When people are rationalizing losses, they tend to overstate the importance of injured players en such.
If y'all can't see the value of players like Smart and Baynes... I don't know what to say to that.

Agree to disagree on that front, I guess.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If y'all can't see the value of players like Smart and Baynes... I don't know what to say to that.

I see the value of those players. Injuries are part of the game. As I said, the Sixers lost to the Bucks without Jimmy Butler. Does that mean that we would have won with him? Maybe. Maybe not.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The value? sure. Solid players. They matter. But we are talking role players. And, yes, Baynes is a dime a dozen starting center. sure, he might have value to the Cs as maybe they have nothing like him. But if he left and the Cs had an offseason to find his replacement they'd have many choices IMO.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value? sure. Solid players. They matter. But we are talking role players. And, yes, Baynes is a dime a dozen starting center. sure, he might have value to the Cs as maybe they have nothing like him. But if he left and the Cs had an offseason to find his replacement they'd have many choices IMO.
I think you undervalue Baynes... can't just pick up anyone off the street to replicate his defense and toughness.

But for the sake of argument, let's say your analysis above is correct.

In the context of what was actually being discussed in this thread, the fact that Baynes "has value to the C's because they have nothing else like him" is precisely the point. He was doing a fair job defending Embiid in the game in question. Then Baynes got hurt. Then Embiid proceeded to dominate the game.

You're talking beyond the original context to broader points.