• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carradine place on IR. We sign R Seymour.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

I see the news that a DL is put on IR and they sign R. Seymour... HOW COULD THAT NOT BE RICHARD FREEKING SEYMOUR!!??!!??!!

:poke:

At least they signed a Seymour.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm really starting to regret this draft pick, we could have made a move to get help at WR instead but we decide to take an injured DL. Lame!!

I don't regret that pick at this point. If healthy, Carradine has huge upside. Of course, he fell for a reason. If he's not right, and he doesn't get right, then obviously it's a blown pick. Really hope the medical staff didn't botch this one....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And they lost Sopoaga. It's not like they "added" anyone; it was replacing one FA for another less-expensive FA.

Two. They added two. And one of those two guys had a best-case scenario of playing around late November. And the other was a 5th-round rookie who wasn't even a starter at Alabama. That's not exactly addressing the issue.

And there were more DL out there than just Seymour. They could have made it happen, but they figured they were fine as is. I hope it was enough, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

Evidence to date suggests they were right. The D has been very, very good lately. And even if we had depth, I'm not sure Fangio would use it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Evidence to date suggests they were right. The D has been very, very good lately. And even if we had depth, I'm not sure Fangio would use it.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. McDonald is playing through a biceps injury, and JSmith is playing way too many snaps IMO. I don't know how fresh they'll be come playoff time.

Also, behind Dorsey there's absolutely nothing in terms of a viable NT to take the snaps he misses. That's not good. I know they lost Ian Williams for the season, but they didn't do anything to replace him when he went on IR; they just went to the depth chart.

There were a few different players they could have signed who could've backed up all 3 DL positions.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic for NT is that they have Dial to come in just in case.... not that I agree with it.... i still want/ed a true NT but we're rolling right now so who knows...

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they lost Sopoaga. It's not like they "added" anyone; it was replacing one FA for another less-expensive FA.

Two. They added two. And one of those two guys had a best-case scenario of playing around late November. And the other was a 5th-round rookie who wasn't even a starter at Alabama. That's not exactly addressing the issue.

And there were more DL out there than just Seymour. They could have made it happen, but they figured they were fine as is. I hope it was enough, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

You're wrong, they added three backups. Ian Williams was the starting NT. Dorsey is the 4th man up who could back up all three, and then they added two rookies. That's 3 people that they added. They also lost two guys to free agency. But then they also had guys who were way down on the depth chart who were developing in Dobbs and TJE.

We get it, you love Seymour. And we love that you love him and we love that we get to hear you talk about him all the time. But don't say that they didn't do anything. They added talent, and they had guys developing who they thought could step in. They didn't just ignore the Dline just because they refuse to listen to some kook on a message board who has yet another unrealistic scenario that he can't let go of.

If you love someone then you have got to let them go. Let Seymour go Sick.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? They added a former first round pick in FA, and used the 40th and 157th pick on DL. I'd hardly consider that "neglecting."

Totally agree, we definitely have some nice deph on the DL finally...It would've been even deeper had Ian Williams not gotten hurt as he was off to a very promising start at NT and even provided some pass rush which a team can never have enough of...Dobbs is a free agent after the season, so going into 2014 we will have McDonald, Ian Williams, and Cowboy...And backing them up is TJD, Dorsey - who has been brilliant, Dial, and Tank...I am loving it....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You're wrong, they added three backups.

You're wrong. They added 3 backups and subtracted one starter. 3 minus 1 = 2.

And adding 2 players doesn't mean they didn't neglect the position. Carradine is clearly a long-term project who had a shot of contributing this year; but that wasn't a given. And 5th-round rookies are lucky to make the team - much less out-play a veteran like Dobbs.

We get it, you love Seymour.

You don't get it. This has nothing to do with Seymour. I was saying this LAST year too, and the DL wore down in the playoffs. There were a ton of DL not named Seymour who could've filled this role a ton better than Dobbs or TJE. How many snaps has Dial played this year by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wrong. They added 3 backups and subtracted one starter. 3 minus 1 = 2.

And adding 2 players doesn't mean they didn't neglect the position. Carradine is clearly a long-term project who had a shot of contributing this year; but that wasn't a given. And 5th-round rookies are lucky to make the team - much less out-play a veteran like Dobbs.

You don't get it. This has nothing to do with Seymour. I was saying this LAST year too, and the DL wore down in the playoffs. There were a ton of DL not named Seymour who could've filled this role a ton better than Dobbs or TJE. How many snaps has Dial played this year by the way?

And a former backup became a starter. They added three back ups broseph.

I honestly don't really know what more they could have done in the offseason.

Smith, Williams, McDonald to start
Dial, Dobbs, Tuku, Tank, Dorsey, TJE to back them up. That's 9 guys for a 3 man line. And often when they go to a 4 man line or nickle someone like Aldon is usually coming up to play on the line, so it's not like they needed enough backups for a 4 man line. They needed enough depth for a 3 man line. They obviously felt good about Dorsey and the young guys, so why bring in another middling veteran?

You're saying they ignored the line. That's either A. Wrong or B. A lie. They brought in 3 guys for depth on a 3 man line. That's a substantial amount. They also obviously felt good about their young guys (at least Dobbs and TJE). I mean, I guess they could have dumped one of those guys for some mediocre veteran who would be playing behind Smith, Williams, McDonald, and Dorsey (at the very least). But considering our linemen have been quite durable, they don't really rotate much, and there was a chance Tank and Dial could show something and push that mediocre veteran even further down the depth chart, I don't see any reason to roll with that mediocre veteran rather than someone who still has potential in Dobbs and TJE.

Now if you think TJE and Dobbs super suck and aren't worth keeping then of course you're entitled to your opinion (although I think TJE at least has been pretty serviceable). Or if you want to complain about the fact that they don't rotate the line more I would agree (but that's a different topic). But if you're going to claim they ignored the line? No. Think with your brain, not your Seymour.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And a former backup became a starter. They added three back ups broseph.

So if the Niners Aldon Smith in free agency and then they signed a less expensive OLB to replace him you would say they "added" an OLB? That's silly logic.

Smith, Williams, McDonald to start
Dial, Dobbs, Tuku, Tank, Dorsey, TJE to back them up.

The ones in bold have no business even stepping foot on the field on a Super Bowl caliber defense. The underlined one was coming off an ACL tear, and everyone knew you couldn't count on him playing.

You're saying they ignored the line.

Neglected.

I honestly don't really know what more they could have done in the offseason.

They could've signed a veteran DE to some in for McDonald & JSmith. And Dorsey isn't a pass rusher & is bad at the 5 technique; no realistic person ever expected him to contribute much of anything at DE.

Now if you think TJE and Dobbs super suck and aren't worth keeping then of course you're entitled to your opinion.

Those are guys who belong at the absolute bottom of the depth chart, and there should be enough guys ahead of 'em so that they don't play more than a couple of snaps per game (if that). They're on the field WAY too much. That spells trouble against offenses like the Seahawks, Broncos, Pats, etc.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon is nearly irreplaceable considering his talent. Are you saying Sopoaga and RJF are nearly irreplaceable talents? Come on. Those two situations aren't analogous. You're thinking with your Seymour again. It's clouding your judgment.

You wanted a 5th guy to play on a 3 man line (a 3 man line where 1 of the 3 only plays about 30% of the snaps). And you wanted them to do so despite what they had in terms of draft picks and developing talent. Look, we all know you're a better talent evaluator than the entire 49ers organization. If only we had listened to you, that bum Goodwin would be gone, Seymour's 9 million dollar fat ass would be rotating through the line, and we would have been rid of Gore and Justin Smith long ago (would we have traded Willis too? I can't remember). Nobody is disputing that you're smarter than the 49ers. But realistically, I don't see them signing a vet to be that 5th guy considering who was in front of him, the talent behind him, the fact that they don't rotate guys much, and the fact that they probably wanted to spend money on other positions that are more crucial than the 5th Dlineman on a 3 man line where one of those three doesn't play a whole lot.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Aldon is nearly irreplaceable considering his talent. Are you saying Sopoaga and RJF are nearly irreplaceable talents? Come on. Those two situations aren't analogous. You're thinking with your Seymour again. It's clouding your judgment.

You completely missed the point. Use a different position. Say McDonald left for FA and they signed a guy less expensive than he to play LDE. That's not "adding" a player.

they probably wanted to spend money on other positions that are more crucial than the 5th Dlineman on a 3 man line where one of those three doesn't play a whole lot.

You need 5 serviceable DL on a 3-man line if you don't want to wear down towards the end of the season. Especially when one of those guys is one of the oldest defensive players in the league.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have not seen a single report about Seymour recently. So I don't understand why some people think he is available to play. Has he been staying in shape? We have no idea. Unless someone proves to me that Seymour is actively working out and waiting on teams to call him, it is all a moot point.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have not seen a single report about Seymour recently. So I don't understand why some people think he is available to play. Has he been staying in shape? We have no idea. Unless someone proves to me that Seymour is actively working out and waiting on teams to call him, it is all a moot point.

If the Niners signed him he'd have 3 weeks to get into just good enough shape to play like 10 snaps by the first playoff game. It's not like he'd gonna have to go all Rocky 6.

Jay Ratliff would've been a nice addition too. Don't remember for how much money he signed.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the Niners signed him he'd have 3 weeks to get into just good enough shape to play like 10 snaps by the first playoff game. It's not like he'd gonna have to go all Rocky 6.

Jay Ratliff would've been a nice addition too. Don't remember for how much money he signed.

But thats the thing. You are assuming Seymour is available. He might have a lot of free time on his hand these days, but does that mean he wants to play? Has there been any word about him since the season started?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But thats the thing. You are assuming Seymour is available. He might have a lot of free time on his hand these days, but does that mean he wants to play? Has there been any word about him since the season started?

I'm not assuming anything. I KNOW Ratliff was available. As were a bunch of other guys who could've played the 5. Preferably a guy who could play about 10 snaps a game & was a decent pass rusher. That's not exactly hard to find.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not assuming anything. I KNOW Ratliff was available. As were a bunch of other guys who could've played the 5. Preferably a guy who could play about 10 snaps a game & was a decent pass rusher. That's not exactly hard to find.

Yea, I wanted Ratliff as well for depth reasons.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You completely missed the point. Use a different position. Say McDonald left for FA and they signed a guy less expensive than he to play LDE. That's not "adding" a player.

You need 5 serviceable DL on a 3-man line if you don't want to wear down towards the end of the season. Especially when one of those guys is one of the oldest defensive players in the league.

It's not adding a player in terms of 1st grade addition, of course not. Lose one and add one and you have the same number.

But if the cheaper guy was just as good as McDonald, OR McDonald's backup was able to slide into his spot and back him up and then the new cheap vet was the backup, you're not actually losing anything. It's a wash.

Anyway that's beside the point, the 49ers added more than they lost so even in pure 1st grade math terms they gained. I seriously don't get how you can say that they "neglected" the line when they added guys AND expected guys they had been developing to step up on the depth chart.

Actually, I do get it. You're smarter than the 49ers. You could forsee that they needed a 5th vet because all the guys they drafted and all the guys they had been developing weren't good enough. And that's fine. Nobody has ever disputed that you're smarter than the 49ers and that you would make a first rate GM. Your "trade em while they're good" strategy is just ahead of its time. Someday I'm sure an owner will roll the dice and hire you and then we can all see how stupid we were to expect that one of two rookies or one of five young vets could somehow step in and be a serviceable 5th lineman on a 3 man line that rarely rotates and only plays the NT 30% of the time.

You're smarter than all of us Sick (especially those bums in the 49ers organization). You win.