• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can't Overlook Seattle

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was never able to see the St. Louis Rams as the same rival once they moved from Los Angeles, for some reason it just didn't carry over. I look forward to the day when LA once again has a team and hopefully they are good enough to consider them a rival.

if they never get 'good enough', no problem here. :-)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by Mozart'sGhost View Post
Agreed. Now that we are back in the driver's seat there is no room to take the foot off the pedal.

agree, win Saturday and apply a little pressure on New Orleans to win Monday. the 49ers just went thru it so hopefully its their turn?

Note the use of "we" as if he were a fan. I think the Saints are going to struggle against the Coons.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whaaa?

as an OLD fan, its the Rams regardless of the City. it'll always be the Rams whether they're a good team or not.

Arizona seems to be a bigger 'rival' in the West, than Seattle? or maybe its my opinion that they're a better team?

Well I've been a fan for over 30 years and see the Seahawks as more of a rival NOW. I'd say the Cardinals and Seahawks are bigger rivals now, because the games with each of those teams is more competitive NOW.

Historically, there really isn't any question that its the Rams.

As far as this year, I'd say the Seahawks and Cardinals are fairly even. Both are 7-7 and have played better as the year has progressed. Both have good defenses and fairly pedestrian offenses with the exception of 1-2 explosive players on each team (Fitz and maybe Wells for the Cards, Lynch and maybe Baldwin for Seattle). Both have sub-par QB and offensive line play. Both have young, talented players in their secondary.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Both have good defenses and fairly pedestrian offenses with the exception of 1-2 explosive players on each team (Fitz and maybe Wells for the Cards, Lynch and maybe Baldwin for Seattle). Both have sub-par QB and offensive line play. Both have young, talented players in their secondary.
In many people's eyes, that seems to describe the 49ers pretty well, too.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In many people's eyes, that seems to describe the 49ers pretty well, too.

True, but the 49ers have a great defense- not just a good defense. Also, I'd consider Smith an average-slightly above average QB this year (Jackson and Skelton/Kolb are sub-par). If we mention special teams, the 49ers are better there too all-around (although Patrick Peterson is pretty damn good).

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reason the rivalry is so intense with Seattle is because of their fans. They win a couple division titles in the history of the teams existence and they are suddenly big shots and the fans talk shit. Not even when they were good... they were talking shit about last year, when I think it's a disgrace to go to the playoffs with a losing record. So it has kind of added fuel to the fire in recent years. For me anyway.

Kinda like the Phillies fans in baseball. Giants Phils is a huge rivalry right now all because the Giants beat them and went on to win the world series. Sure, that would upset me, but it's the lack of respect that their fans showed that made Giants fans really hate them. I think it is the same with the Seahawks.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in AZ i dont see much of a rivalry with the Cardinals, i see it more so with Seattle as well. Frankly more of the friends i know are Dallas fans. Now dont get me wrong its still a good rivalry with AZ we always have crazy games, but i feel Seattle is more our rival.

St. louis not so much lol

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
maybe my definition of 'rival' differs from others? my view is illustrated by this example (sorry couldn't think of a better one):

Alabama vs Auburn is a rivalry forever, it doesn't matter if one team is real bad for years, it's still a huge rivalry.

the SF Giants has a rivalry with the Dodgers, doesn't matter if one team is bad for a stretch, its always a rivalry.

the 49ers and Rams are always rivals, doesn't matter if the Rams are bad now.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
maybe my definition of 'rival' differs from others? my view is illustrated by this example (sorry couldn't think of a better one):

Alabama vs Auburn is a rivalry forever, it doesn't matter if one team is real bad for years, it's still a huge rivalry.

the SF Giants has a rivalry with the Dodgers, doesn't matter if one team is bad for a stretch, its always a rivalry.

the 49ers and Rams are always rivals, doesn't matter if the Rams are bad now.

For me, part of the rivalry was geographic. NorCal & SoCal have been rivals since long before they were referred to as NorCal & SoCal. That is what's missing for me.

The one common denominator with those others is still geography. Obviously, Alabama & Auburn are not moving any time soon, but what would happen if the Dodgers moved to a different state or perhaps even became an AL team? Would that change your mind, do you think?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For me, part of the rivalry was geographic. NorCal & SoCal have been rivals since long before they were referred to as NorCal & SoCal. That is what's missing for me.

The one common denominator with those others is still geography. Obviously, Alabama & Auburn are not moving any time soon, but what would happen if the Dodgers moved to a different state or perhaps even became an AL team? Would that change your mind, do you think?

no, not if they remain the "Dodgers". this is why i still view the Rams as our rivals, despite them being in St Louis. if the Rams were sold back to LA and got 'rebranded', would no longer view them as rivals.

i get the geographic part.

yeah, guess i do view it differently.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no, not if they remain the "Dodgers". this is why i still view the Rams as our rivals, despite them being in St Louis. if the Rams were sold back to LA and got 'rebranded', would no longer view them as rivals.

i get the geographic part.

yeah, guess i do view it differently.

Differently, yes - but not at all wrongly... ;)

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not watched them but it seems most of their offense is Lynch and I think we can shut him down. If whoever they have at QB is having to beat us I like our chances.

Keep in mind that in the Chicago game Lynch rushed for just 42 yards on 20 carries and the Seahawks still managed to put up 38 points. They've been getting it done all around. The pass game is putting up points, the run game is putting up points, even the defense is either scoring or getting turnovers to set up scores. During the last 6 games the Seahawks D has been giving up less than 15 points per game while forcing 18 turnovers.

San Fransisco can win this game as they are a very good team. But it's going to come down to more than just shutting down Lynch. The Seahawks are good on both sides of the ball for the first time in a long time. And Seattle is a much better team now than the Seattle you guys played in week 1.

Good luck this week and GO Seahawks! :)

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agreed. That was a huge part of it. There was always a "we are better than you" attitude that L.A. people had toward Bay Area people and I hated their teams in every sport. It didn't help either that they dominated us in all sports when I first got into sports in the 60s.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. That was a huge part of it. There was always a "we are better than you" attitude that L.A. people had toward Bay Area people and I hated their teams in every sport. It didn't help either that they dominated us in all sports when I first got into sports in the 60s.

Exactly!!!

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that in the Chicago game Lynch rushed for just 42 yards on 20 carries and the Seahawks still managed to put up 38 points. They've been getting it done all around. The pass game is putting up points, the run game is putting up points, even the defense is either scoring or getting turnovers to set up scores. During the last 6 games the Seahawks D has been giving up less than 15 points per game while forcing 18 turnovers.

San Fransisco can win this game as they are a very good team. But it's going to come down to more than just shutting down Lynch. The Seahawks are good on both sides of the ball for the first time in a long time. And Seattle is a much better team now than the Seattle you guys played in week 1.

Good luck this week and GO Seahawks! :)

I agree with this. Seattle and Arizona have both turned it on as of late. I expect the game this week to be a dog fight. The Niners will win of course but it won't be a cakewalk ;)

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone was willing to overlook Seattle, theres always the space needle ; ) lol