• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

can we stop pretending harbaugh is the answer?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It honestly doesn’t matter — UM will continue to be what they are, no matter who they get as coach.

They don’t have the elite in state talent the other blue bloods do for their recruiting base. The closest state with elite talent is where our Ohio State is located. So they will have a year every once in a while where they finish in the top 5, but they will continue to be a top 15 type school with 2-3 losses every year.

It is the same reason I said Nebraska will never be a top program again. Having to rely on recruiting nationally and pulling elite recruits from the South from the truly elite programs isn’t a winning formula.

I was excited about the Harbaugh hire because the one thing that can jump that trend is getting an elite QB and that was supposed to be his wheelhouse. That hasn’t happened and UM gets exposed when they play anyone with talent near them as a team.

It sucks to say it, but I don’t see UM being a national ‘power’. I see them more as a quality B1G team who may beat OSU once in a blue moon. But the only national program in the B1G anymore is OSU and it will be like that for a long time, unless Michigan HS football takes a huge jump in talent, which I don’t see happening.

Don't look now, but here comes the Nebraska distraction.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One dropped pass from sending that game into ot and yet the kerosene at ann arbor burns brighter than ever :D....I do feel the pain of spending years looking for a quality qb though but then again I think that is more a coaching problem than talent issue usually. Good college coaches know how to tweak their systems to the abilities of the players they have at any given time

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan needs to start looking for the "next Michigan man"

BbaQCN-IYAAg28d.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One dropped pass from sending that game into ot and yet the kerosene at ann arbor burns brighter than ever :D....I do feel the pain of spending years looking for a quality qb though but then again I think that is more a coaching problem than talent issue usually. Good college coaches know how to tweak their systems to the abilities of the players they have at any given time

What ever happened to moral victories at Michigan, anyway?

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Rhule is going to be someone a lot of big named schools will be looking at. The complete turnarounds he did at Temple and Baylor are pretty incredible. If Michigan was to sack up and get rid of Harbs, I’d bet he’d be near the top of the list.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TrustMeIamRight want's to distract with a 'Lack of local talent' excuse when @Edisto_Tiger tells it like it is.

After you fire Harbs who would you replace him with? Great coaches are hard to come by. Look at FSU, Tennessee, Miami, Texas, Nebraska, SoCal, etc. They were big time programs, a couple of them are even "bluebloods," and they are floundering in mediocrity or just straight suck. Is there a great coach out there that could take Michigan to the next level?

FSU, Miami, Texas, SoCal are all in recruiting hotbeds.

So is Florida who's had just 3 double digit win seasons in the last 10. Just one of those was an 11 win season and that was 8 years ago. It remains to be seen if Mullen can get them back to the elite levels that Spurrier and Urbs had them. Other than those two they've had Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain. All mediocre or even worse. An elite coach puts all the pieces together and has an elite culture that permeates the entire team and coaching staff.

I've said before that with the added 12th game and CCG's, 10 wins is now the 9 wins of the 60's, 70's, 80's. It gives the fan base hope that you're just one step away, but 10 wins is not elite.
You're an elite coach away from being elite.

Harbaugh = Bo Pelini (without the division titles)

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After you fire Harbs who would you replace him with? Great coaches are hard to come by. Look at FSU, Tennessee, Miami, Texas, Nebraska, SoCal, etc. They were big time programs, a couple of them are even "bluebloods," and they are floundering in mediocrity or just straight suck. Is there a great coach out there that could take Michigan to the next level?

Was gonna say. FSU would gladly take Harbaugh just about now...

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, could be, but you never know. Shit, I can't believe Coach O has y'all where he does. Very Daboesque.

Yeah, this has surprised me as well... Orgeron has always seemed to be a guy who can recruit but little else. Thought it was desperate for LSU to name him HC.... Apparently, I was wrong.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was gonna say. FSU would gladly take Harbaugh just about now...

FSU fans would be content with being mediocre?

Interesting.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How have I entered a homer realm? All I've done is list stuff JH has actually done. I haven't made anything up.

"just last week we beat a ranked team"

Your homerism just never stops. So last Saturday (11-12-19) Illinois was a ranked team? Holy shit. There really is something wrong with you.

"things are going great right now"

Except JH's record vs. Ohio State, Michigan State & ND (2-7). And except his bowl record (1-3). And except his record vs. ranked teams (5-12). And except his record as an underdog on the road (0-7). And except his road record vs. ranked team (1-6).

But you keep telling yourself things are great in ann arbor. All that money your team rakes in obviously can't buy wins against good teams.

Keep it crazy mNb09. It's what you do best.
I said aren’t that great. And here’s the problem I struggle with. Just five years ago we were a five win program. And if you fire a coach you better have someone in mind. Look at all the programs who are struggling right now with coaches we all thought were great hires. Finding coaches to even win ten games a year is hard.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said aren’t that great. And here’s the problem I struggle with. Just five years ago we were a five win program. And if you fire a coach you better have someone in mind. Look at all the programs who are struggling right now with coaches we all thought were great hires. Finding coaches to even win ten games a year is hard.

Harbaugh deserves more time.

Heck, Bo Pelini got 7 years at Nebraska.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree finding the right coach can be difficult. There are current examples of coaches having success in fewer than 5 seasons. Went with 5 because this is JH's 5th year.

You mentioned 10 wins. 1st year coach Ryan Day will get to 10 wins. PJ Fleck at Minnesota is another example. In his 3rd year & has them at their 1st 7-0 start since 1959. They should get to 10. And I would think you'd agree it's ahelluva lot tougher to recruit kids to Minnesota than ann arbor. Ed Orgeron. 4th year at LSU & will get to 10 wins. Lincoln Riley's in his 3rd year at OK. Dan Mullen, 2nd year at Florida.

JH's record going into his 5th year speaks for itself. Five years is more than enough time to turn a program around. And as a UofM fan you have to be disappointed/frustrated at the lack of success he's had so far. The tough question is who would be out there to replace him? Not sure there's a good answer to that question right now.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will continue to believe that Harbaugh is the answer until he is no long the Head Coach of the Michigan Wolverines because:

1. I am a Michigan Fan and I will continue to support my team.

2. I don't get to make the decision on who the Michigan Head Coach is.

3. The University of Michigan is so much bigger than Harbaugh.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree finding the right coach can be difficult. There are current examples of coaches having success in fewer than 5 seasons. Went with 5 because this is JH's 5th year.

You mentioned 10 wins. 1st year coach Ryan Day will get to 10 wins. PJ Fleck at Minnesota is another example. In his 3rd year & has them at their 1st 7-0 start since 1959. They should get to 10. And I would think you'd agree it's ahelluva lot tougher to recruit kids to Minnesota than ann arbor. Ed Orgeron. 4th year at LSU & will get to 10 wins. Lincoln Riley's in his 3rd year at OK. Dan Mullen, 2nd year at Florida.

JH's record going into his 5th year speaks for itself. Five years is more than enough time to turn a program around. And as a UofM fan you have to be disappointed/frustrated at the lack of success he's had so far. The tough question is who would be out there to replace him? Not sure there's a good answer to that question right now.
Ohio state is an extreme example. Nothing OSU does lately, fails. It’s like Alabama. Few programs are as insulated to failure like OSU is.