• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

can we stop pretending harbaugh is the answer?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the dilemma isn't it. I know this is going to be weird, but I still feel like Harbaugh is a good coach. You don't do what he's done in his career as a bad coach. But I also don't know what the issue is that's preventing our success. It makes me nervous to fire someone who will probably be scooped up by an NFL team to go after coaching potential that could blow up in our faces.

I'm hoping that at some point soon the breaks start going our way. Balls aren't dropped in the end zone. Debatable 1st downs turn into debatable 4th down stops. Last second miracle plays don't happen. Part of my hesitation with trashing Harbaugh is how close this team has been so many times.
Maybe if he doesn’t get blasted in the first half of nearly every game against a tough opponent we wouldn’t be talking like this. His players are nowhere near ready to play in big games and that falls on the coaches.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if he doesn’t get blasted in the first half of nearly every game against a tough opponent we wouldn’t be talking like this. His players are nowhere near ready to play in big games and that falls on the coaches.

That isn't always the case. This year against Wisconsin and PSU sure, and last year against ND; all got us with quick scores that we tried to come back against. But 2017 we were leading Wisconsin 10-7 going into the 3rd, then Peters got injured. Wisconsin won 24-10. Same year, OSU we have 3rd string O'Korn in and we started off 14-0, couldn't hold on and end up losing 20-31. PSU that year, blew us out. Then in the 2017 bowl game against South Carolina we were up 19-3 and blew that game with a series of terrible mistakes. 2016 Iowa beats us on a last second field goal. OSU beats us on a 4th down spot. In the bowl game we had the lead with like a minute left and FSU has a 65 yard return with a minute left and ends up scoring a TD to win the game. 2015 Utah was Harbaugh's first game, fairly close throughout even though we lost. MSU that year was "the" play. And then OSU blew us out.

Harbaugh has been blown out 4 times or so. But we've also seen an unusual share of really last minute bullshit that has made our record against ranked teams, and losses in the B10, as bad as it is. What I can't tell is if it's coaching that's causing that problem or it truly is just a tirade of small mistakes by individual players combined over a 5 years span that looks bad, but really shouldn't keep happening; right?

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Winged_Wheel88 and you other Michigan fans, don't let those negative Nancys get to you.

Here's a long distance dedication for you. Keep the faith.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Harbaugh is the answer for the money. Maybe take a look at the offensive and defensive coordinators. There are lots of teams out there that can pass the damn football. It seems the Wolverines can't. Speaking of NFL players and talent being wasted, there was a guy named Brady that played in Ann Arbor. You all might have heard of him. Might not be talent, but it is something there. I believe Charles Woodson was part of a Super Bowl winning team. Now, if we are talking very recent NFL talent from Michigan, I am not sure. I am not the most versed guy for following the NFL.

There are many teams that play "not to lose" even with decent to huge leads. That comes back to bite you also. There are many points I agree with here. I don't see Michigan beating Ohio State any time soon, no matter the stadium or the coach.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh going back to the NFL apparently.

:hope:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can always use Barry Switzer's word to justify it.

Something about liking pros better because the players are responsible for themselves and he doesn't have to babysit.

There's a lot to college coaching that NFL coaches don't have to deal with.
I mean, I don’t think that Michigan is under investigation for serious misconduct issues, but I could be wrong.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent article on this very topic in SI:

The Question That Could Determine Harbaugh's Future

Basically, Harbaugh should stay until the answer to this question isn't Harbaugh:

"In the next three years, who has a better shot to win a Big Ten championship? A new coach, who could very well need that amount of time to fully install his program? Or Harbaugh, given where he has the program right now?"

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent article on this very topic in SI:

The Question That Could Determine Harbaugh's Future

Basically, Harbaugh should stay until the answer to this question isn't Harbaugh:

"In the next three years, who has a better shot to win a Big Ten championship? A new coach, who could very well need that amount of time to fully install his program? Or Harbaugh, given where he has the program right now?"
I would say someone else has a better chance since the program has no idea how to win big games or beat Ohio State. Someone else may have the formula because Harbaugh sure as hell doesn’t.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20130109.0.png