• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can we please stop bringing up Jon Grudens name every single time a coaching vacancy opens up?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to Texas, or anywhere else.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it this way. If someone takes him we don't have to listen to him anymore.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would Gruden go back to coaching?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a coaching vacancy? Betcha Jon Gruden is on the short list.

Mr Sandman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden is not leaving that plush job at ESPN. He already has a Superbowl ring, and doesn't have to deal with meddling owners, NFL drafts, college boosters, or long road trips conducting off-season recruiting, and getting paid a boat load of money.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would Gruden go back to coaching?

He is probably making more in the Booth and all of his extra commercial work than he was as a coach and is working maybe half the hours with 0 pressure to perform. He is the new John Madden of the NFL world and wouldn't surprise me to see him as less and less fans actually know who Madden is become the new name for the Madden game. Gruden 20 will be a thing calling it now.

I'm pretty sure he has said he is very happy where he is. I know when he first went into it he kept talking about if the right situation opened up he would consider it but the longer he is out of the game the less chance that is a reality.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is probably making more in the Booth and all of his extra commercial work than he was as a coach and is working maybe half the hours with 0 pressure to perform. He is the new John Madden of the NFL world and wouldn't surprise me to see him as less and less fans actually know who Madden is become the new name for the Madden game. Gruden 20 will be a thing calling it now.

I'm pretty sure he has said he is very happy where he is. I know when he first went into it he kept talking about if the right situation opened up he would consider it but the longer he is out of the game the less chance that is a reality.

There are maybe 2 coaches in the league with more name recognition than him and that is pushing it.

I agree that 10 years ago he would have jumped at the right choice but now he has a cushy job getting paid bank and his family can stay where they are. It's a no brainer.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are maybe 2 coaches in the league with more name recognition than him and that is pushing it.

I agree that 10 years ago he would have jumped at the right choice but now he has a cushy job getting paid bank and his family can stay where they are. It's a no brainer.

Honestly if he came back to coaching I don't think he would find the success that people would be thinking. When you have been out of coaching for that long it isn't quite like riding a bike. The league is different, the rules are different, and I'm just not sure he has the same pull with putting a coaching staff together like he would have 10 years ago. I just don't think there is much advantage to him coming back. His legend right now is at an all-time high with people still saying he would be a top coaching hire by any team out there. Maybe Bill Belichick is the only current coach with more name recognition than that of Gruden.

And like you said I'm sure the less hours of work yet equal or more pay feels pretty darn good right now. I would love to have a job like he has and get to go home to the family most nights compared to sleeping in my office or the crazy things we hear about these coaches.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Cowher

Jon Gruden

Haha always forget about Cowher. Yeah he is another that is not coming back any time soon. If I remember right he quit at the request of his family. Can't see him changing his mind after so many years. Plus just like Gruden almost like his legend grows the longer he is out of the league. Good/Great coach but not sure he could make it in today's NFL. Would take a few years to get acclimated to what the NFL is today and not sure any team is ready to give a coach that type of time to get ready.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him, Dungy and Cowher have the most kush studio jobs. They are going nowhere.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden has been called a genius and a great coach. He's won a Superbowl. That's a lot to live up to. If you're not really a genius and not really a great coach you might get exposed. Why risk that when you have a great job? I know I'm not the first to say it in this thread but he's now a legend. I hear Gruden works hard. He prepares for a broadcast like no one else they say. But it's still not even close to the work a coach puts in. The stress.

Then you're a legend, a Superbowl winner, you could have half of the NFL jobs that come open in any given season, and you're going to take the Texas job? How stupid would that be? No amount of "leave me alone and let me run my program" will fly in Austin. Not unless you're winning big and probably still not then. Some dumb ass owner would let Gruden have full control. No good reason to go to Texas.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, (all mentioned before) and don't forget Jimmy on Fox. These guys all have their SB rings so nothing to prove. They all have great network jobs and can stay close to the game. They are all also pretty good on that side of things. Good talkers who don't shy from the camera. No way any of these guys need to go back to the stress of being a H.C. Trust me, if the thought does enter their mind and the wife finds out, she probably puts her foot down. That life is hard on family.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol had a friend tell me today that rumor is Rams will throw big $$$ at Gruden in the off season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly if he came back to coaching I don't think he would find the success that people would be thinking. When you have been out of coaching for that long it isn't quite like riding a bike. The league is different, the rules are different, and I'm just not sure he has the same pull with putting a coaching staff together like he would have 10 years ago. I just don't think there is much advantage to him coming back. His legend right now is at an all-time high with people still saying he would be a top coaching hire by any team out there. Maybe Bill Belichick is the only current coach with more name recognition than that of Gruden.

And like you said I'm sure the less hours of work yet equal or more pay feels pretty darn good right now. I would love to have a job like he has and get to go home to the family most nights compared to sleeping in my office or the crazy things we hear about these coaches.

Unless you're a long time Bucs fans you only remember the SB season, but Tampa declined very quickly under Gruden...i.e. maybe he's not this great NFL HC like a lot of people think...lot of Tomlin's detractors say he won with Cowher's team which is true...few people talk about Gruden winning with Dungy's team.

The truth of it, he was a good OFC minded coach,beyond that, it's hard to say.

He reportedly makes $5mil + a yr, about the same as a HC...why deal with the headaches?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden Jon Gruden Jon Gruden Jon Gruden Jon Gruden Jon Gruden Jon Gruden