• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Warren Moon do everyone a favor and shut the hell up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC did not have a bunch of black players, they had an All Black Starting Backfield at the time, which was super rare. Plus it was Alabama not Bryant that forbade recruiting black players. It was why the game was scheduled. Bryant knew his Bama team was not that good and was falling behind. He needed the fans and alumni of Alabama to soften their stance on black player on the team.

If Bryant did not want black players, there is no way he would have schedule a game vs an all black starting backfield vs one of his crappier teams at Bama.

I agree with you about Moon facing real racism. He should have never had to spend one second in the CFL. IMO I think he is imposing his own experience unto others.

I stand corrected on my narrative of Bryant. Thanks for the clarification.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played soccer for 15 years internationally for 4,i went to Pepe Fernandez personal training at the behest of my English and German coach's and guess what 75% of all the players were either black or Hispanic,,,lol trust me we went swimming and they even joke about it in Brazil.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew it,really so every black male that I have known that cannot swim,yet 95% or more white males that can and you are saying to me BS? your high man.

Why don't you get it out of you and call me a racist then?

Dude, stop being so defensive. This is an area that I have a lot of knowledge in because it is part of what I do for a living. I also run a non-profit that does nothing but offer swim lessons to inner city kids. I'm giving perspective to the stereotype, not trying to call you out.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing other countries where swimming is not as popular as in the United States is apples and oranges. I cannot explain other countries' stance on swimming or the importance they place on aquatic safety. I can only give you what I know about this country and where much of the struggle comes from. 6 of 10 Hispanic kids in the US don't know how to swim, 8 of 10 African Americans. It's not as simple as just offering lessons, you have to gain perspective as to why societally an entire group of people actively avoids a life skill. That is the hard part and what I was trying to cliff notes version explain.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait a second you are teaching and getting paid to teach young black youths to swim?

Am I getting this right? so why couldn't they swim?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't believe that Warren Moon's life choices should necessarily negate what he says regarding this issue, considering that he personally lived it and was one of the trailblazers that paved the way towards breaking the perceptions and stereotypes of the black QB.

The problem is he doesn't possess the character or personal integrity to be trust-worthy. His motives are at the very best suspect. I'm convinced he's a self-serving asshole who keeps beating this racism drum for his own benefit. It's tough to proclaim this guy a trailblazer because he wasn't the first. Make no mistake about it. Warren Moon is not Jackie Robinson no matter what he tries to tell us.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude im done with this debate,i don't care,by theway my cousins are half black and yes they had a hard time learning to swim why I don't know.

Yah know what maybe it is geography because I read that the best lobster guys are black Cubans years ago,who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected on my narrative of Bryant. Thanks for the clarification.

There are so many myths about that game. I thought I knew what was what, until I actually talked with San Cunningham (who might be the nicest guy on the face of the Earth!). For Instance he was never brought into Bamas locker room, nor did Bryant ever single him out.

There is a great story about how the black players from the west were asking one of the black players from the south how things were down there. Basically he said dont leave your room and carry a gun. No Way I can tell the story even close to as well as they did but his reactions to the stories about the South were so damn funny...

It also amazing how some meaningless game between to great programs in down years had such an impact on the game.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So wait a second you are teaching and getting paid to teach young black youths to swim?

Am I getting this right? so why couldn't they swim?

They actually can. Look at our National Teams, our Olympic Teams. Just in 2012, Lia Neal, Anthony Ervin, Cullen Jones are examples of Olympic medalists in swimming that are also African Americans.

I started the non-profit because I didn't grow up with a lot and my parents scraped by but finding swimming a life skill was what paid for my college and my education. I just wanted to offer the same opportunity to other kids that otherwise wouldn't have it.

If you want to get into this subject further, I can easily break it down for you and give you plenty of studies done that outline exactly what I have stated in more detail but this isn't a swimming board, it's a football board. PM me if you want more info.

In the meantime, I was not calling you out, nor was that even my intent.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many myths about that game. I thought I knew what was what, until I actually talked with San Cunningham (who might be the nicest guy on the face of the Earth!). For Instance he was never brought into Bamas locker room, nor did Bryant ever single him out.

There is a great story about how the black players from the west were asking one of the black players from the south how things were down there. Basically he said dont leave your room and carry a gun. No Way I can tell the story even close to as well as they did but his reactions to the stories about the South were so damn funny...

It also amazing how some meaningless game between to great programs in down years had such an impact on the game.

As I read your post, the story jarred my memory of a 30 for 30 or Outside the Lines that I saw that spelled it out exactly the way you said it. Again, thanks for the clarification because the actual story is pretty inspiring.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that's kool and I commend you for reaching out and helping people in your community.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we finally bury the hatchet? I have no beef with you Double. I just want to make that clear. We got off on the wrong foot and I have no interest in pissing matches with posters on a message board.

And thank you for your kind words regarding what I do.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah it's it's gone im easy,geesh,like I said I find this debate uncomfortable so I just avoid it.

These things tend to bring out the worst and best in people and I aint going there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's that avatar? you making fun of transgenders?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.. but even people who have experienced it need to move on. That was what Martin Luther preached, and I agree with him. As long as people hold ill will and make an issue out of these things, they will continue to be issues.

I often wonder about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and company. The moment racism ceases to exist, they are out of business. So, are they really champions of civil rights or are they making the problems worse by claiming race constantly in some sort of delusional self-preservation?

Very good post!

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moon is from a different era. That is all it is. He looks at it from his perspective as a black QB growing up in the 60's and trying to make a pro team in the 70's.

Moon is the reason I'm a Seahawk fan by the way. I was a HUGE fan of his when I was a kid. I live only about an hour from Edmonton where Moon won 4 Grey Cups and started a dynasty for the Edmonton Eskimos. When he went to the NFL I started watching NFL games and became a fan. When he landed in Seattle I became a die hard Hawk fan and have been ever since.

None the less, I'm sure all of us have some old grampa or uncle in the family that grew up in another time and says racist things. Its not really that they hate the people they are talking about (some might) its just the way they were raised.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am part Nez Perce and Norwegian you seem me bitching about natives in the NFL?

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the black man bitches,but turns a blind eye to the natives at least the government fought for his freedom and didn't send his people to die or murder them in large numbers.

Extinction is on no black mans lips.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how fast this thread degenerated. Moon is entitled to his opinions and I believe he is at least partially right, even if I don't think the problems are as bad as he does. We are in a different era and things are improving for equality all across the board. I remember people complaining about interracial marriage when I was a kid and I've seen a lot of prejudicial treatment throughout my life. I don't think Moon has asked anyone to feel sorry for him in any way. All I've ever heard him say is pointing out when he feels there are questions about current players. He helps QB's at every level and I know he doesn't just help the black ones. You have people up here with preconceived notions about race in the NFL and at least a couple of people who really don't like Moon who are also clearly letting those feelings dictate their opinions on this. All the same to me. Whether we see it or not it is his reality and who am I to question it.

Status
Not open for further replies.