• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Myles Garrett Not Screw Up Next Season?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans loved nearly everything they did last 2 seasons so maybe a good thing many ripped their latest moves?

They can rip him for last season but then they completely forget all the turmoil the Browns and Baker has gone through. 4 HC's, FO issues, owner issues, drama, spotlight, etc. I think this season is the season we will see them settle down in the media and I just hope this FO and coaches is finally right for this team..we will see. Like I said, I don't have my hopes high like last year though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see every game like you probably did, but CLE was on national TV quite a bit coupled with the home and home with PIT so I feel like have seen enough of Mayfield recently.

No question he exceed my expectations in his rookie year....I was thinking the soph jinx could be a factor because most of the time the league does improve against a rookie QB after a yr of tape on them...imo Dorsey decided to roll with Kitchens to keep some continuity going for yr two.

Not terrible, just too many INTs for the amount of TDs thrown...Idk if I would blame on play calls.

This will be a big year for Mayfield to win over those fence riders.
Kind of agree, but the issue is Freddie got rid of all the coaches who helped make Baker successful which hurt continuity some.

agree this year could be make or break for him.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see every game like you probably did, but CLE was on national TV quite a bit coupled with the home and home with PIT so I feel like have seen enough of Mayfield recently.

No question he exceed my expectations in his rookie year....I was thinking the soph jinx could be a factor because most of the time the league does improve against a rookie QB after a yr of tape on them...imo Dorsey decided to roll with Kitchens to keep some continuity going for yr two.

Not terrible, just too many INTs for the amount of TDs thrown...Idk if I would blame on play calls.

This will be a big year for Mayfield to win over those fence riders.
There were some ugly passes by Mayfield that you didn't see in 2018. When I talk about play-calling, though, it's a huge deal when you're not on the same page as your QB. On top of that, for whatever reason, he felt it necessary to call pass plays that took an eternity to develop. Couple that with a horrible offensive line, and your QB is going to make some errant throws. It also didn't help that the Browns were top 10 in most dropped passes in the league (several of which became INTs off of bobbles).

I'm not saying Baker is on a path to become the top QB in the NFL, but I'm still very high on him. He still made some outstanding throws last year that remind you why he was taken #1 overall.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he had to be shredded. He's never been a speedster but he looks slow at times, even in the pocket, that comes with footwork too though. He needs better footwork and yes he does need to get in better shape. Lean in the right places but still a good size to take hits.

I agree though...Baker will have his 4th coach in 2 full years. I don't know any QB that could succeed like that...I think what we saw last year and everything going wrong was just a disaster. I still have full faith in Baker so that's why I really don't care about the critics and backlash..he will be just fine. But like I said, I still see things he really needs to work on and getting into a little better shape will only help imo.

Agree on the above, he needs to work on his poise in the pocket, throwing mechanics and footwork....Many times he would immediately abandon the pocket, scramble and throw on the run off balanced, not easy to do with your feet not planted....He needs to trust his line, stay in the pocket and deliver the ball when possible.....Also, losing weight in Cheesecake Factory parking lots sounds like fun, but he needs to stay in better shape....

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were some ugly passes by Mayfield that you didn't see in 2018. When I talk about play-calling, though, it's a huge deal when you're not on the same page as your QB. On top of that, for whatever reason, he felt it necessary to call pass plays that took an eternity to develop. Couple that with a horrible offensive line, and your QB is going to make some errant throws. It also didn't help that the Browns were top 10 in most dropped passes in the league (several of which became INTs off of bobbles).

I'm not saying Baker is on a path to become the top QB in the NFL, but I'm still very high on him. He still made some outstanding throws last year that remind you why he was taken #1 overall.
Should help we have a coach who will listen to the analytics department. I mean, they had to tell him "uh...Fredster, you are playing the worst run defense in the league. Maybe a pass heavy plan in expected bad weather isn't the way to go?"

Doesn't mean have to base everything on analytics but to dismiss them was absurd.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should help we have a coach who will listen to the analytics department. I mean, they had to tell him "uh...Fredster, you are playing the worst run defense in the league. Maybe a pass heavy plan in expected bad weather isn't the way to go?"

Doesn't mean have to base everything on analytics but to dismiss them was absurd.
I'm excited to see what Stefanski can do with all the pieces we have in place. I feel like we have slightly better versions of what he had in Minnesota on offense, assuming we can build up the offensive line.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of agree, but the issue is Freddie got rid of all the coaches who helped make Baker successful which hurt continuity some.

agree this year could be make or break for him.

Of course we know this guy was #1 overall, idk if this year will be make or break, but if he rebounds, I think he's back in the ascending mode and viewed as a franchise QB around the league. If he has another year like last year, I think he might fall into the "he is what he is" category...a guy that can put up numbers, but not winning any big games on the regular.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we know this guy was #1 overall, idk if this year will be make or break, but if he rebounds, I think he's back in the ascending mode and viewed as a franchise QB around the league. If he has another year like last year, I think he might fall into the "he is what he is" category...a guy that can put up numbers, but not winning any big games on the regular.

Think I agree with your take on Mayfield. He's at a crossroad.....which road he ends going down is going matter a bunch.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think I agree with your take on Mayfield. He's at a crossroad.....which road he ends going down is going matter a bunch.

I've mentioned this before in other threads but Mayfield says he knows what he needs to work on this off season & doesn't need to work with a QB coach. That's not a good sign. He was last in TD to int ratio last year, 22-21. And second to last in passer rating, 78.8. And he says he doesn't need to work with a QB coach, what a jackass.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he is not called the N word then i would assume so

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL really needs to get to the bottom of this and either punish Rudolph for saying it or Garrett for lying, but like everything else they've been doing it'll get swept under the rug.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL really needs to get to the bottom of this and either punish Rudolph for saying it or Garrett for lying, but like everything else they've been doing it'll get swept under the rug.

they already did and found nothing that backed up Garrett's story.

and if we're being honest, using a football helmet as a weapon against another human being doesn't exactly make you a high character guy that should be given the benefit of the doubt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they already did and found nothing that backed up Garrett's story.

and if we're being honest, using a football helmet as a weapon against another human being doesn't exactly make you a high character guy that should be given the benefit of the doubt.
How do you know they found nothing? Not in NFL best interest to hide it if they found something?

Kind of wish Garrett would let it go at this point, though....whether he said it or not.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know they found nothing? Not in NFL best interest to hide it if they found something?

Kind of wish Garrett would let it go at this point, though....whether he said it or not.

protecting Mason Rudolph over Myles Garrett makes zero sense since Garrett is undoubtedly a bigger star.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only way is if players come out now and say they heard it or Rudolph comes clean...really no way you can prove anything. It's either someone backing a lie over and over or another guy denying it like anyone would...if he says he called him the N word, he is going to get tossed around like a rag doll lol.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that night, he said nothing. His team mates said nothing. His team mates were surprised when he said it at the appeal. If he was saying that how don't you tell someone that day ? How doesn't anyone else say it.

gets unsuspended so he can still go with the nfl on a humanitarian effort. If he is suspended he can't go. But instantly he comes out after suspension and starts again immediately .

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that night, he said nothing. His team mates said nothing. His team mates were surprised when he said it at the appeal. If he was saying that how don't you tell someone that day ? How doesn't anyone else say it.

gets unsuspended so he can still go with the nfl on a humanitarian effort. If he is suspended he can't go. But instantly he comes out after suspension and starts again immediately .
Reports are he told Ogunjobi night of. Report not proof, but it's certainly possible he told him.

Browns' Larry Ogunjobi says Myles Garrett told him about racial slur immediately after Steelers brawl

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just bc the players said they didn't hear anything...what does that prove? Mason, if he did say it, probably said it where Myles could only hear him. Myles already said he wasn't going to bring it up...but I'm sure he did bc he thought it might work in his appeal. I knew it wouldn't work but that's beyond the point...someone is lying and like I said before, we will probably never know who it is.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3