• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024-25 Off Season Thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Blake is back next summer unless the Kings win it all, which I don't see happening. In 2012 there were some rumblings about Dumbo being on the chopping block after 6 years, first round exits. The Carter trade and winning the Cup saved his job from my understanding.

I don't see that happening because Dumbo put finishing touches on a Cup contender, Bowlby hasn't even reached guaranteed playoff lock status just yet so I do believe his non firing is a straight up financial decision having to pay McLellan $5 million next season not to coach LA and most likely somewhere else coaching.

Brings me to Jill, giving him a multi year deal is a risk considering Blake may not be here and thw new GM will inherit him and may have his own guy in mind. Basically next season is a lame duck year in LA at both the GM and HC positions IMO.

I know we've beat a dead horse here but wow did he manage to mess everything up almost everywhere within the organization.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where to start with summer goals. Sound like Hiller is more than likely being retained. I don't dislike him, and I do like him more than McLlelan, but if the goal is get the most out of PLD, how does that make any sense? Anyway, maybe given a full summer and job security he'll be more at liberty to get stuff done. I guess he took over and they told him to just make the playoffs, which he did do.

Word is Danault had two broken hands in the Playoffs, so I am willing to see if his game can't come back. Trevor Moore fully disappearing and then only showing up to take bad penalties was rough. Kings leading scorer just a no-show hurt a ton. He and Danault were their best line 3 years ago, and they were on McDavid duty this year.

It just feels like this team could be the surprise team like Vancouver was this year if they got the right coach.

Anyway. I agree. We'll see what Byfield gets contract-wise and term. A little worried about that one, honestly. Arvidsson and Roy gone for sure. Gavrikov one more year. Side note: McDonough was traded from Nashville back to Tampa Bay today, and all rumors are Nashville is gearing up to make a run at Mitch Marner. Maybe even dangle Saros in the trade.

Kings forward core isn't really the issue, and they need a system change, and they need to solidify from the net out. Would love to get a stud goalie, but it'll be hard without paying a ton. Would love some more size on the backend and in the bottom 6. All of these teams still in the playoffs have a few of these guys. Some guys with decent speed and good size. Can come out a few times a game and just lay some hits and open up the game a little. Mix it up when the team falls behind. Kings used to have Kyle Clifford to do that. You remember when Daryl Suter came in and immediately thought LA needed more size, so he went and plucked Dwight King and Jordan Nolan off the Reign and brought them up? Reign seem to make a playoff run every year, and yet no one down there can be called up and be effective in any way?

For starters next year I am for sure giving Akil Thomas a shot. Throw Turcotte in a full time roll for at least the first 20-30 games. See once and for all what you have there. Grundstrom same for me. I still hold out some hope for him because he has shown he can be physical. I can't shake that image of the play he made on Nurse a few years ago in the playoffs. Just drove to the next and reverse hammered Nurse on his way to scoring a huge goal. Where is that version of this guy? So yeah, I run at least 3-4 younger guys and just get them experience.

And I really take a look at Mikey Andersen. Honestly. I know they locked him up forever, but against top competition, I don't know if he can hang. But then again, we're always only judging this team in how they matchup with Edmonton. Always.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kevin Weeke's reporting, Hiller signing multi-year deal to be head coach of Kings

This is puzzling. Either means Blake is not leaving after next season or if he does Hiller may not last if a new GM is brought in and there will be a new HC next summer depending on how 2024-25 goes.

I assumed he would be here as HC (read as: cheap compared to the Berubes, Trotz' and RBAs of the world especially considering McLellan will be paid $5 million to not coach LA or in addition to his new salary elsewhere) but on a 1 year prove it deal in case a house cleaning occurs next summer. Wasn't expecting a multi year deal.

Could also signal Blake feels confident he will be staying on as GM past this season which also seems egregious considering AEG is aware of the grumblings with the documented regression of the team.

This is Bowlby's fourth HC in 7 years (Stevens, Dejardins, McLellan and now Hiller. Fifth if you consider after The Coup he fired Sutter along with Dumbo). Alarming and embarrassing as an organization.

I swear this team has turned into a Who's on First skit.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article just came out on TA, the adjective used to describe the Jill decision is "uninspired". Ouch.

Good point in it though, even with big names available they may not have wanted to come to LA because Blake may be gone in a year plus they don't know what roster changes are in store this summer. Didn't look at that angle, for a guy like Gallant that would be career suicide so even if the Kings wanted someone else the best choice was Hiller being a rookie HC. Good jumping board for someone looking to establish his HC career and even if Blake is canned he isn't tainted like the other retreads and could adapt to a new GMs vision.

I think he will change the system though, and I'm hoping for a much more aggressive forecheck and offensive attack. This team generated a ton of chances but couldn't finish (again why I give advanced stats the finger basically, proof it doesn't matter if you don't score enough) and that's straight up because they didn't play a go to the net style system.

Defensively a zone or a zone man hybrid would be welcome as long as the defense has the personnel to execute it. Means some size and snarl on the back end in their T4, can't be putting Englund out there against McJesus and the Kings T4 is simply not physical enough. Need to add here for sure, Spence and Clarke won't cut it full time on the roster together.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hired Jim Hiller as the new HC. He’ll last as long as Blowby lasts. Which isn’t really long.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three years is what I've read. Keep in mind he's an ex King too, Bowlby probably setting dudes up financially before he gets canned next summer. Again...always about money not results.

I was just looking at that 2001 Colorado roster and fully believe they would have won it regardless if he was on the team or not. They were that stacked. He was just along for the ride, he hasn't accomplished shit contributing to a team as a player or GM.

I don't know why Kingsters worship this fool.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multi-year deal is the crazy part. And by the way, this McLlellan year LA is paying this year is from the extension no one asked for. We all thought timing was good and McLellan was on a prove-it year. Sure enough, for no reason, he gets extended before the season starts. Arguably the most unnecessary signing ever. So to come out and just toss another multi-year extension. Why not just have Hiller sign for a year?

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement to see how this roster shakes out, but man am I not excited. Last summer, I thought this was the summer Kings take that next step into contender status, and I really don't see it now. Maybe some good moves are made with the roster.

:sad2:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read the whole thing and sounds like a lot of nothing.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read the whole thing and sounds like a lot of nothing.
That's usually what it means whey someone says "we're looking at everything."
Means the "Plan is we have no plan"

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings UFA tidbits from TA:

Matt Roy, Los Angeles Kings

The door is not closed on Roy re-signing with the Kings, but I don’t think the sides are close at this point.

“Have had some preliminary discussions in an attempt to find some common ground, and we will continue to work at it,” Roy’s agent Rich Evans said via text message Thursday.

Kings GM Rob Blake hopes to re-sign Roy, but it has to work under the cap. The 29-year-old is coming off a three-year deal with a $3.15 million cap hit. If he does end up going to market, I get the feeling he’ll be in higher demand than the casual fan might predict. Some of that is the right-shot need at play. But I know other teams value what he brings. So do the Kings.

Viktor Arvidsson, Los Angeles Kings

The 31-year-old was limited to just 18 games this season because of injury, but he’s healthy now. It’s expected he’s going to the July 1 market.

“Now that he’s healthy and feeling great, I think Viktor is ready for the next chapter in his career,” Arvidsson’s agent Kurt Overhardt of KO Sports said Thursday. “He just looks forward to helping a club succeed. Guys don’t become free agents that often in their careers. He gets to navigate through all the opportunities and see where the best fit is.”

I do wonder how his injury-limited season will affect his market.

Sounds like they've already informed Arvidsson he won't be back, he is going to look for a payday. Great player when healthy but unfortunately can't stay healthy, pretty much what we all assumed. Going to be tough getting a long term MYD from any team, bad year to be injured like he was.

I still believe Roy stays in LA.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings UFA tidbits from TA:

Matt Roy, Los Angeles Kings

The door is not closed on Roy re-signing with the Kings, but I don’t think the sides are close at this point.

“Have had some preliminary discussions in an attempt to find some common ground, and we will continue to work at it,” Roy’s agent Rich Evans said via text message Thursday.

Kings GM Rob Blake hopes to re-sign Roy, but it has to work under the cap. The 29-year-old is coming off a three-year deal with a $3.15 million cap hit. If he does end up going to market, I get the feeling he’ll be in higher demand than the casual fan might predict. Some of that is the right-shot need at play. But I know other teams value what he brings. So do the Kings.

Viktor Arvidsson, Los Angeles Kings

The 31-year-old was limited to just 18 games this season because of injury, but he’s healthy now. It’s expected he’s going to the July 1 market.

“Now that he’s healthy and feeling great, I think Viktor is ready for the next chapter in his career,” Arvidsson’s agent Kurt Overhardt of KO Sports said Thursday. “He just looks forward to helping a club succeed. Guys don’t become free agents that often in their careers. He gets to navigate through all the opportunities and see where the best fit is.”

I do wonder how his injury-limited season will affect his market.

Sounds like they've already informed Arvidsson he won't be back, he is going to look for a payday. Great player when healthy but unfortunately can't stay healthy, pretty much what we all assumed. Going to be tough getting a long term MYD from any team, bad year to be injured like he was.

I still believe Roy stays in LA.

I think Tor offers Roy a lot, i dont think he goes there....but he getd a good offer from them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Switzerland beat Canada in IIHF semifinals. Fiala scored, which is good, but the issue Canada is getting roasted over, is who they chose as their 3 shooters in the shootout. Punchline is "Two Buffalo Sabres and Dubois". So Dubois getting roasted again.

I thought the choice to have him in the team was strange. But then have him be one of your 3 shooters in an elimination game? What is going on????

Apparently he looked as bad as ever. I hate this whole situation.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Switzerland beat Canada in IIHF semifinals. Fiala scored, which is good, but the issue Canada is getting roasted over, is who they chose as their 3 shooters in the shootout. Punchline is "Two Buffalo Sabres and Dubois". So Dubois getting roasted again.

I thought the choice to have him in the team was strange. But then have him be one of your 3 shooters in an elimination game? What is going on????

Apparently he looked as bad as ever. I hate this whole situation.

So, i run construction projects and crews for 100's of millions of dollars. I dont know how many times i can say .....you better find a solution, throwing your hands up and walking away isnt really an option. If your crew sucks Find a way to make it work, you gotta finish the project.
PLG is only effective if you use him certain ways, watch some fucking tape and play him how hes effective....trying to make him something hes never going to be just makes everyone look stupid....this is who you got, for a shit ton of cap so you better find a way to make it work or find a way to trade him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we were all way off the mark, I fully thought McLellan was going to end up here. Disco Dan back in the NHL for the Kraken.

Wasn't expecting that hire at all.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings and Canucks supposedly going to pursue Toffoli this summer. I wasn't a fan his first time here, immature player who got his first big contract and lost focus on being a professional bur perhaps he has grown and hos goal scoring will be needed especially with Arvidsson leaving.

I'd really like LA to find a physical scoring winger over a soft retread although he can put the puck in the net.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings and Canucks supposedly going to pursue Toffoli this summer. I wasn't a fan his first time here, immature player who got his first big contract and lost focus on being a professional bur perhaps he has grown and hos goal scoring will be needed especially with Arvidsson leaving.

I'd really like LA to find a physical scoring winger over a soft retread although he can put the puck in the net.

Could work out, titties Kind of stands around in an area In the offensive zone waiting for the puck, PLG Kind of flings the puck to an area Without looking..... If they both get on the same page as to what that area is.....

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we were all way off the mark, I fully thought McLellan was going to end up here. Disco Dan back in the NHL for the Kraken.

Wasn't expecting that hire at all.
Once RBA resigned in Carolina this felt like the logical choice. He has done an excellent job in Coachella which is Seattle's farm team. Lost in game 7 in the Calder Cup last year and looks poised to head back again this year. I was wondering why Seattle was taking so long to announce and then I figured maybe they were going to wait until Coachella season was done to not disrupt what they are doing. I think the news got leaked and forced their hand so it wasn't a distraction. That's all speculation on my part.. But overall not a bad hiring. Seattle needs to get younger and no one knows the kids better than he.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave Ontario a run, CV plays rough and hard. He's always seemed like a good coach for young players, he was a hard working honest player himself. Loved him as a King.

Also anyone concerned there has been no movement on the Kings roster front? You'd think after the roller coaster season, massive flame out in the WCQF they'd be all over doing things to make this roster better for the fall.