• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caldwell decision coming today.

Caldwell?

• Retained

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Fired

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A vote for Caldwell is a vote for Mayhew as far as I'm concerned. Do you guys really think BQ doesn't have a plan in place?

Who was the last first time GM to get a job and keep the current HC? Seems like it'd be rare.

I know Ted Thompson did it. I don't remember who else, maybe Ron Wolf? But I remember one big time GM stating that he chose to use his first year to evaluate instead of coming into a situation and thinking he knew everything that needed to be changed.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was my heros? You changed your stance ten times in the last week. At one time you also wanted all three.

Heros...lol. I love the drama

It's only drama if that's what you want it to be (and you do).

I never wanted all three. I said I'd understand if White was hired and Caldwell was retained. It's clear to me the only reason anyone wants to keep Caldwell is because they think that means we keep JBC and Austin. I'm not sure it does.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Ted Thompson did it. I don't remember who else, maybe Ron Wolf? But I remember one big time GM stating that he chose to use his first year to evaluate instead of coming into a situation and thinking he knew everything that needed to be changed.

That's cool. Maybe that's works for a historically successful team like Green Bay. The Lions hired a Patriot. IMO that means he needs his own guys, not guys Mayhew hired. I won't be satisfied until we are completely detached from our recent past to Millen and Mayhew.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett
It's my understanding Bob Quinn & Jim Caldwell have spoken by phone, essentially to set up a meeting. Nothing expected to happen tonight now.

This has SOL written all over it.

90 year old corpses apparently better evaluators than Patriot personal. Who knew?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accorsi on Quinn "If I didn't think he was gonna come in & build a great organization & win a championship, I wouldn't have recommended him"

Better hire a coach that can identify a Hail Mary if you want to win anything, let alone a championship.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accorsi on Quinn "If I didn't think he was gonna come in & build a great organization & win a championship, I wouldn't have recommended him"

Better hire a coach that can identify a Hail Mary if you want to win anything, let alone a championship.
Should they have fired Austin immediately following that loss to GB?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should they have fired Austin immediately following that loss to GB?

Not expecting a hail mary on the final play of the game? This is why the Lions are the Lions.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Austin is wildly overrated by Lions fans.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as a coaching change -- I'd like to see Caldwell gone, but only because I'd like Austin hired in before he goes elsewhere. Or the very least, whoever is brought in keeps Austin.

JBC -- I'm not 100% sold on, as the only solid defense they played was St. Louis and we only scored 14 and lost -- the rest of the teams we beat up on, so did everyone else. So I don't see JBC as doing something we haven't seen before. Obviously he is much better than Lombardi, but wouldn't be the end of the world if he was replaced.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin has been linked to nearly half the league in the last two off seasons as a potential Hc, and not one fan base really wanted him, or became upset when their team didn't hire him.

Only fans who think the guy is great are Lions fans. Some fans act like the a Lions are the only teams that get injuries, and that somehow means finishing as average is some major accomplishment.

JBC - completely replaceable. Doesn't take a mastermind to let Stafford throw it down the field .

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed the vote, but i want Caldwell gone his conservative BS at the end of games cost us at least 3 wins this year.

You don't keep a HC because you like his coordinators.

Yup lots of good coordinators out there

Does he bring Tebow in?

Or was that Xanders now?

He was the guy who wanted Tebow, but he was also the guy who drafted Demaryius Thomas(pro bowler), Zane Beadles(Pro Bowler), and Eric Decker that same year. More hits in one draft than Mayhew got his entire time here. Caldwell let Mayhew draft draft Eric fucking Ebron with tons of talent on the board at positions that were actual needs.

You are convinced this is right move, so now the double standards take place in your thinking.

Your right, I will just agree.

Any GM/Coach combo that comes in is facing an up hill battle no wants to be in Detroit unless they're getting over paid to do it.

Yes, Austin is wildly overrated by Lions fans.

This, coming in to season many fans had Austin keeping the Lions defense top 10 or even top 5. They finish 25th and those same fans are still praising Austin for the great job hes doing.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say the HC position is up to BQ. How does BQ essentially hire Caldwell when he's never met him or interviewed him? Doesn't add up.

I think he's gone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin has been linked to nearly half the league in the last two off seasons as a potential Hc, and not one fan base really wanted him, or became upset when their team didn't hire him.

Only fans who think the guy is great are Lions fans. Some fans act like the a Lions are the only teams that get injuries, and that somehow means finishing as average is some major accomplishment.

JBC - completely replaceable. Doesn't take a mastermind to let Stafford throw it down the field .

I agree -- all teams get injuries, but not all teams lack depth like the Lions do, which is why we no longer have our last GM. Building a team isn't just quality starters -- it is having quality players to come off the bench or work in a rotation to give players rest.

Detroit doesn't have that for the majority of their defense and haven't had it in a long, long time. So when a player goes down the drop off in production goes down with it. The fact we finished middle of the road when we lost Suh and Fairley to FA, lost Levy to injury, had a less than 100% Ngata for much of the season and Walker out after a few games -- to go along with a LB who couldn't cover anyone. I'd mention Ihedbigo and Mathis, but I think their replacements were upgrades actually. To get a defense missing so much to finish middle of the road is why teams were still lining up to interview Austin.

Then again -- I'm only a casual fan, so what would I know

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances an "extensive nationwide search" turns up an in house President and a GM who thinks the Lions Caldwell is the best HC available to him?