• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cal player dies in training run

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Agu, defensive lineman of California Golden Bears, dies - ESPN

California football player Ted Agu died Friday after collapsing during a training run with his teammates. He was 21.

"This is one of those tragedies that no one can understand and comprehend," an emotional coach Sonny Dykes said at a news conference.

"Ted was a very special young man. As a coach, you have the opportunity to be around a lot of special kids day in and day out. He was a special young man. He just had a passion and energy for life that's contagious. He will be deeply missed. Our players loved him dearly and he was a big part of our family."

[+] EnlargeTed Agu
California/Collegiate Images/Getty Images
Cal defensive lineman Ted Agu, a senior-to-be who made six tackles in seven games last season for the Golden Bears, died Friday morning. He was 21.
Agu was on a training run near Memorial Stadium with his teammates early Friday morning that was supervised by multiple members of the team's medical staff.

Team physician Dr. Casey Batten said the medical staff saw he had difficulty completing the workout and he was transferred by cart about 150 yards to the stadium.

"He was on the back of the cart, he was talking, he was hydrating, he did not exhibit any labored breathing or other signs until he got to the north tunnel," Batten said.

He then collapsed when he got to the medical facility at the Simpson Center at the stadium around 7 a.m., and emergency medical personnel were alerted and Agu was given CPR. He was quickly taken to Alta Bates Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

We all taunt each other up here, but when something like this happens we all come together to wish the team and family our deepest condolences.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we will eventually hear that he must have had some undiagnosed heart condition or something. Most people don't just up and die after a training run and it always ends up being something with the heart causing it. Didn't say the cause of death in the report.

If there are any Cal fans lurking around just know many of us know what your program is going through and we send our best wishes.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far too young. Just tragic.

Thoughts and prayers.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we will eventually hear that he must have had some undiagnosed heart condition or something. Most people don't just up and die after a training run and it always ends up being something with the heart causing it. Didn't say the cause of death in the report.

If there are any Cal fans lurking around just know many of us know what your program is going through and we send our best wishes.

Thanks for the good words and support. There was an anonymous source in the article stating that he had a sickle-cell trait, but that has not been confirmed. Condolences to his family and friends in this difficult time.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible terrible stuff. Way too damn young.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible news. I cannot imagine what his parents, coaches, teammates, and friends are going through.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very sad news. I hope his family can move forward. This is definitely not normal so I'm sure we'll here more.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sucks to hear

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For sure he went in to full Cardiac Arrest (Heart Just Stopped beating) the question will be what caused it. Very sad to hear this, my prayers go out to his family.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure he went in to full Cardiac Arrest (Heart Just Stopped beating) the question will be what caused it. Very sad to hear this, my prayers go out to his family.

Are you sure it wasn't Ventricular Fibrillation? That is what happens when we use the medical term Cardiac Arrest generally.

In which case blood completely stops flowing do to an abnormal "fluttering" heart. It doesn't stop beating technically. The heart is in spasms and beating improperly resulting in no blood flow.

If immediate CPR and a defibrillator isn't made available with in minutes the outcome is always the same.

More defibrillators. The awareness and availability of them needs to be similar to fire extinguishers. Where the user has immediate access to them and knows how to use the simple machines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a player named Greg Pratt die under very similar circumstances in 1983 it is extremely tragic to the players and to the fan base. I'm sure the team is going to pull together and support one another and let the memory of their teammate pull them closer and make the better.

Thoughts and prayers to the family and team.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sooner Nation offers its condolences to the California Golden Bears and the player's friends and family.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure it wasn't Ventricular Fibrillation? That is what happens when we use the medical term Cardiac Arrest generally.

In which case blood completely stops flowing do to an abnormal "fluttering" heart. It doesn't stop beating technically. The heart is in spasms and beating improperly resulting in no blood flow.

If immediate CPR and a defibrillator isn't made available with in minutes the outcome is always the same.

More defibrillators. The awareness and availability of them needs to be similar to fire extinguishers. Where the user has immediate access to them and knows how to use the simple machines.

Really a must. This seems to happen at least once every offseason. Unacceptable.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope it doesn't come out that he was all hopped up on energy drinks and caffeine pills. Running before 7 am isn't for everyone and I know a lot of young athletes use that kind of stuff.

RIP.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terribly sad. Anyone who has been in a family that buries a young one like that, knows it's the worst.

Defibrillators- These are needed everywhere. I know we had a young recruit, who passed out on a local high school field here and was saved by a defib that was available. He no longer could play, but his schollie was kept for him and he became a huge advocate and fundraiser in the state for putting these at all high school and college athletic facilities.