• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cable?!?!

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's done a good job. Remember how flippin awful it was before he came here? At least we're average at this point when guys are healthy. It was a bunch of guys who don't have much talent to begin with who were completely out of sync with each other on top of it. This is the first time in a long time where Wilson looked really rattled and had happy feet.They just need to ride it out until they're healthy and the #1 priority of the next off season is fixing the problems at o-line.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Cables input in drafting OL come to a end. Need to start hitting on some really talented OL in the future and I like someone else doing the evaluations on OL in the draft.

Disagree that they should disregard his input.
He lead Oakland to 2 steady improvements over 2 years, going 6-0 against the division in his last season.

Agree that his decision should not be final.

I mean, WTF.

He coached the SB winning OL 9 months ago.
He did not have a fucking stroke or get Alzheimers between now and then that we know of.

You people have been hopped up on Starbucks and want instant gratification or go with instant criticism.

Just like some of these chickenshit managers in these companies around here.

But, I digress.

Nothing is wrong with Cable.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Cable at Oakland for 2 seasons and he had them playing above their talent level.

He's doing the same here with 3rd and 4th stringers holding serve.

Criticism of Cable is fundamentally misguided.

Gonna have to disagree. The guy went 5-11 and 8-8 in two season in Oakland, and that glimpse of improvement may have been acceptable if he wasn't running around decking his assistant coaches in the face. The facts are that while his teams and offensive lines do have consistently above average run blocking they are consistently at the bottom of the league in penalties and passing offense.

Go ahead and check this out:

2008 NFL Team Penalty Statistics - The Football Database

In 2008, 2009, and 2010 when Cable was the head coach the Raiders they were 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in the NFL in penalties respectively. That's right, they got worse every year he was there. In 2011 he gets hired by Seattle and they immediately jump to 2nd over in total penalties including leading the league in false starts and being in the top five in false starts every year since.

His teams may be physical and tough in the running game, but in every other aspects his guys are undisciplined and make bone head mistakes. I'm really hoping Bevell gets a head coaching position somewhere else and that he takes Cable with him.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Cables input in drafting OL come to a end. Need to start hitting on some really talented OL in the future and I like someone else doing the evaluations on OL in the draft.

He has absolutely no knack for evaluating talent, as proven when he took over a FBS transitioning Idaho team that had won a bowl game in its first year in FBS and proceeded to run the program into the ground, winning 11 games in four years ( and 6 in his last 3) on route to becoming the first Idaho head football coach to be fired in over 20 years.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree that they should disregard his input.
He lead Oakland to 2 steady improvements over 2 years, going 6-0 against the division in his last season.

Agree that his decision should not be final.

I mean, WTF.

He coached the SB winning OL 9 months ago.
He did not have a fucking stroke or get Alzheimers between now and then that we know of.

You people have been hopped up on Starbucks and want instant gratification or go with instant criticism.

Just like some of these chickenshit managers in these companies around here.

But, I digress.

Nothing is wrong with Cable.

Again, they won the Super Bowl last year despite their O-Line play, not because of it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would like to see Cable gone in general. These mistakes and penalties that plague the o-line is coachable but yet the same problems keep surfacing. Yet if they retain Cable, I do agree that PC/JS need to take over the evaluation of o-line talent and just let Cable coach.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Cable gone in general. These mistakes and penalties that plague the o-line is coachable but yet the same problems keep surfacing. Yet if they retain Cable, I do agree that PC/JS need to take over the evaluation of o-line talent and just let Cable coach.

Cable helped the running game tremendously though when he came here..... And it's hard to totally blame him when you consider all the dam injuries that keep happening...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010 Oline gave up 34 sacks on a much less nimble QB, no a statue of a QB really at that point in his career, Matt Hasselbeck. Now a QB much better at avoiding sacks Russell Wilson was sacked 44 times last season.

No this line has not got better. It has become worse every season. 44 in 2013, 33 in 2012, 50 in 2011 for a average of 42.3 per season. 2008-2010 ( 3 seasons ) they gave up a average of 37 on MANY more passing attempts. Now 16 sacks this season points to them improving BUT they have not played to many strong rushing teams and i can see them giving up 25+ in the remaining schedule with the oline healthy or not. The scary thing is they are passing LESS now than they did by a large margin from 2002-2010.

Cable has not even held serve and don't let Marshawns ability to make something out of nothing more often than not fool you into believing the line is better than it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Convenient to list pass protection stats and not rushing. Give all the blame for pass protection to the line and all of the credit for rushing to Lynch only. I mean forget that a huge percentage of his rushes come between the tackles and everyone knows it's coming. It's all Lynch.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cable helped the running game tremendously though when he came here..... And it's hard to totally blame him when you consider all the dam injuries that keep happening...

I understand injuries to the o-line but there are penalties that are inexcusable. The false starts I can understand on the road in a loud stadium but the amount of false starts at home should be very limited and it's not. Maybe I'm being to hard on the back ups but its Cable's job to get them prepared and it doesn't seem like they are at times.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Convenient to list pass protection stats and not rushing. Give all the blame for pass protection to the line and all of the credit for rushing to Lynch only. I mean forget that a huge percentage of his rushes come between the tackles and everyone knows it's coming. It's all Lynch.

I mentioned that Cable's offensive lines are consistently above average at run blocking. But that comes at the expense of pass protection and a bunch of penalties. Lynch doesn't get all the credit, but he is a huge reason the running game has been so dominant the last few years.

Really thought I think Lynch is underrated in the passing game. With the struggles the offensive line has been having all year they really need to work in some more screens to the running backs ( yes that's right, not WRs). Lynch had two huge plays on Sunday when he was able to get the ball in the open field and surprisingly the one that got called back was not due to a holding call on the offensive line.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking to screaming, cave.

This offense was rolling hard in the preseason and against GB until the injuries started to mount up. They clearly have no depth and they were going to have growing pains with Britt as it is. Losing Miller was big as the drop off at TE after him is abysmal at best. Cable's fault? Of course not. The TE's are not on his plate. Going all the way to 4th string at center has been huge.

Last year the line was decimated for most of the middle of the year and only came back to healthy near the end of the season, not coincidentally the team started scoring better after they did.

No, this isn't a top 5 line when healthy and everyone knows it. Still, I'm not sure any other team has had as many injuries on their line over the last two seasons.

Once Unger, Miller, Okung, and Carpenter are all on the field at the same time with Sweezy and Britt and they are still having issues, then blame Cable all you like.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand injuries to the o-line but there are penalties that are inexcusable. The false starts I can understand on the road in a loud stadium but the amount of false starts at home should be very limited and it's not. Maybe I'm being to hard on the back ups but its Cable's job to get them prepared and it doesn't seem like they are at times.

Yeah sometimes the discipline lacks a bit ....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have some of the worst talent on the offensive line in the NFL, I don't necessarily believe it is Cable's fault.

Okung has played hurt and he hasn't looked great. Unger has also been injured. That leaves 5 guys who probably wouldn't be starting on a lot of team's offensive lines. Carpenter doesn't start on most NFL teams, neither does Britt or Sweezy.

Despite the tremendous job that the front office has done on most of the roster, offensive line has been severely neglected. It's a miracle that the Seahawks offense has been as productive as it has despite having such a bad line.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me OG in first round please. Thank you.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize there were no procedural penalties on the OLINE this week... SERIOUSLY NONE! (At least I don't believe there were any?)

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to put this thread to bed for now isn't it?

You got Unger and Okung back for this game, are still missing Carpenter and Miller, and still went out and set a franchise record rushing day. Yes, it was against the Giants, but you play 2-3 shitty teams a year and have still never in team history put that kind of rushing out there so it counts.

Yes, I know people are talking about not just this stretch, but his tenure here and I still say it's fucking hard to find outstanding linemen in the NFL that can stay healthy. We were spoiled by big Walt, Hutch, and some of the others we have had. You can only do what you can with what you have and when you look around the rest of the league there are many teams struggling with finding those gems.

Britt has had some struggles in a few games, but he's not doing bad for a rookie starter. It may take a year or two for him to find his chops, but he does seem like he has the potential to put it all together.

Carp has been a bit of a bust compared to expectations, but came in this year in much better shape and appeared to be finally putting it together.

Okung is what he is. He can give you solid play, but can't give you 16 games. That's sure not on Cable. It is time to talk about replacing him though. Can't keep covering for his constant injuries forever.

Sweezy? Probably shouldn't be a starter, but obviously it shows their lack of depth at guard.

Unger is the key to that whole line. Look at the difference in having him back. He isn't even back up to full game speed yet and already showed clearly the value he brings.

Miller may not be a lineman in the technical sense, but he's the only real blocking TE this team has. In fact the TE position has been abysmal in general for some time on this team. Pretty sure you can't pin any of that on Cable.

I too am sick of the bad line play on this team, but there is plenty of blame to be spread around. Who the hell thought we would actually miss Breno and his guaranteed 2-3 fouls a game? I think Cable does a pretty decent job of continuing to keep that running game going despite the injuries over the last few years and the rag tag squad that's out there every week because of it. I do wish they would concentrate more on the passing game and pass protection, but that's not what Carroll wants so hard to put that blame on anyone other than Carroll IMO.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, what's Sweezy got to do to get some respect? He's been our MOST consistent lineman this year.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most consistent? Well if you mean he has played in more snaps then yes? :noidea:

I've watched that right side of the line get blown up down after down in several games. Sweezy wouldn't be a starter on at least 20 other teams IMO.