• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Byron Jones

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry talking about how Jones played safety and corner: "that was pretty prominent in our decision".

I know we need CB help and am very happy if he stays at corner, but I'd love to hear we think this kid is a true FS and are going to play him there.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have gone with a defensive tackle. They need to get stout up the middle and quit getting gashed. They have plenty of corners, a safety like Collins would have been a solid pick.

I completely agree here, DT, edge rusher, or Collins.. If Jones playiing some safety is in their plans, which now seems likely according to team's most recent statements. Collins is from a big time program and can punish receivers. Would have made this D a lot tougher in the backfield area. I guess they got enamored with his versatility and length more as well, in possibly using him at either corner or S if the need developed. I personally don't trust combine and pro day workout warriors. If this becomes just another first round CB bust, this will have set this team back even further. They still needed an edge rusher with Hardy possibly missing 10 games, and only showing flashes of improving in that area at the end of season. Their season could already be over by the 11th game if they don't find a legit workhorse RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to limit their defensive exposure again, and with no legit pass rush (for another season), IF Lawrence doesn't develop as expected.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I do believe it’s a realistic projection for him to play corner and free safety in this league,’’ Garrett said. “He’s one of those guys you think has a great upside.

“We do anticipate him starting out at cornerback. Given the health of the secondary, a move to safety is realistic.’’

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From bleacher report. Funny that after all the analysis they allude to possibly starting out as a slot corner. His skill set is what you want from a guy on the outside or FS. The absolute worst place for him would be in the slot. I'm thinking they meant nickel corner

Byron Jones, you may recall, set the world standing long jump record at the combine, leaping 12 feet and 3 inches. Jones’ record would be a bigger deal if cornerbacks typically had to chase receivers over deep, 12-foot wide pits, but that rarely happens in the NFL, even at FedEx Field.

After Jones set the record, several scouting reports surfaced with taglines like “Jones is more than just a combine curiosity: He can play.” I was skeptical, just as I am skeptical when the neighborhood guys tell me that the local strip joint has delicious wings. Sometimes, you want something to be true so badly (I am just here for lunch every single day for the food, not for Brandee Lynne) that your brain makes it true.

So I watched Jones’ tape. He can, indeed, play. Jones reads routes well and is very smart about sniffing out screens, reverses and other types of misdirection. He can run with quality receivers, and his leaping ability does come into play when covering taller receivers; he intercepted a pass against Michigan in 2013 by out-jumping 6'3" Jehu Chesson, for example.

Jones has two obvious flaws. Good receivers can get open on him with sharp cutting routes, like digs and comebacks. Jones takes several extra steps to get back to the ball on such plays. Also, Jones is too quick to slam into his receiver or out-and-out tackle him before the ball arrives if he loses track of the football on a deep route. Jones is grabby on many routes, but most college cornerbacks are a little too grabby.

The Cowboys get a cornerback with untapped athletic potential in Jones; in the short term, they get a defender who is heady enough to contribute immediately as a nickel-slot cornerback. A fine selection.

Grade: A-

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true, Gregory was down in the 230s I believe because he stated he was ill. He certainly has the frame to add more weight. Even so, they could have found situations to get him on the field in passing downs. There is a reason why Gregory slid down board after projecting as a possible top 10 pick, and it had more to do with his off the field stuff then his weight. Let's keep it real here shall we? Just like he put on the weight to be projected that highly in the first place, he could of gotten it back up in time for camp. Hell, didn't even Ware play at 250lbs and dominate in his prime?

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lawrence doesn't progress EARLY this season, this will have been a dumb pick. Why try to improve the back-end of your defense first when you just went out and signed a player (Hardy) to help give you some resemblence of a pass rush (taking a ton of heat and risk also I might add), when you now might not even have that player for 10 games or the next season?? With no pass rush, you could be Deion in his prime back there and it wouldn't matter.

All I can say here is that they better hit on a RB today and pray that Lawrence figures things out early in the season, and can hold it down until Hardy returns. Collins would have been the much safer pick here if you didn't want to go Gregory or Brown. It really bothers me to see absolutely no defensive pressure up-front from this defense every year, then they go out and say you win games up-front on the offensive AND defensive lines...then never draft anyone highly there but only on the OLmen?? Just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true, Gregory was down in the 230s I believe because he stated he was ill. He certainly has the frame to add more weight. Even so, they could have found situations to get him on the field in passing downs. There is a reason why Gregory slid down board after projecting as a possible top 10 pick, and it had more to do with his off the field stuff then his weight. Let's keep it real here shall we? Just like he put on the weight to be projected that highly in the first place, he could of gotten it back up in time for camp. Hell, didn't even Ware play at 250lbs and dominate in his prime?

I'm pretty sure Ware played around 265 pounds for most of his career. He was also immensely strong, and a freak athlete. Gregory is not put together like Demarcus Ware was coming out of college.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.....football clueless with an agenda remains the very worst of all
but you guys carry on anyways

trust is they key word here and I wouldn't trust Gregory was far as I could throw him

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lawrence doesn't progress EARLY this season, this will have been a dumb pick. Why try to improve the back-end of your defense first when you just went out and signed a player (Hardy) to help give you some resemblence of a pass rush (taking a ton of heat and risk also I might add), when you now might not even have that player for 10 games or the next season?? With no pass rush, you could be Deion in his prime back there and it wouldn't matter.

All I can say here is that they better hit on a RB today and pray that Lawrence figures things out early in the season, and can hold it down until Hardy returns. Collins would have been the much safer pick here if you didn't want to go Gregory or Brown. It really bothers me to see absolutely no defensive pressure up-front from this defense every year, then they go out and say you win games up-front on the offensive AND defensive lines...then never draft anyone highly there but only on the OLmen?? Just doesn't make any sense.

You do realize there are several more rounds to this draft and plenty of serviceable defensive lineman available right?

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trust is they key word here and I wouldn't trust Gregory was far as I could throw him

Another example of a hypocrite. I have an agenda here for just voicing my opinion and not bothering anybody here, even though I'm continuously insulted here by these homers that only see God in everything this team does...even when team gets it wrong, yet I insult people here for no reason right?? Hilarious.

PDay, why don't you crawl back into that hold you were and stay quiet when it comes to my posts here?? Didn't you say that you've changed her after you ban?? Fucking hilarious.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize there are several more rounds to this draft and plenty of serviceable defensive lineman available right?

You missed my point here entirely. I said draft highly, as in 1st round. Did they wait until the 2nd and 3rd rounds to improve their offensive line the last 3 years?? My point, the later you wait to improve in that area, the lesser your chances then become of doing that. Heck, they had to trade up last year and waste a 3rd just to get Lawrence, and now they are suppose to be looking at RB in the 2nd. So drafting 3rd round DL talent or even later, is now suppose to equate to picking up 3 straight first round OLmen? I don't think so.

Like I said, you missed the boat on what I meant...it's the amount priority they place on it, and the chances of them succeeding in an immediately need area, that are uneven here when it comes to building up the offense versus the defensive line....and the current status of both of them. Is this D still getting gashed repeatedly?? Yes. Do they still need a consistent pass rush?? Yes...yet you truly believe that 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounder will help do that?

If you want to believe in miracle late round draft picks like most others here, then fine. Correction last 3 out four years taking an OLmen in the first rounds.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no dip shit...I said judge me since my ban and I was 100%right when I posted that with regards to what was being said. No wonder you run with that BS anyways...butt F-in hurt remains all you.
Buy a F-IN clue agenda boy!

you can spell hypocrite but you haven't the foggiest clue what the word means.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

watch and see agenda boy!
you won' bring the subject up a year from now

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again this was a need. Hell the best pass rusher I saw all yr in college played for Oklahoma. He weighed about 220. College is a whole different game. Lawrence is already a little light. Gregory, though a good player, is more likely a situational guy. I'm not understanding the RB need so bad either. Sure we could use one but we have the best OLine in the league and 2 first rounders to go with it in McFadden and WIlliams. WIlliams may have been 2nd round. I don't know maybe Gregory will be a 15 sack guy and some RB that goes early today will get 1500 yrds someday. To me the Jones pick made the most sense. The only other possible I would have considered would have been Brown

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Aldon Smith might be a good comp for Gregory. Strictly pass rushers, and both have major off field isues.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm football clueless yet it was pretty much a consensus by all the scouts that Gregory was a top 10 pick up until recently and possibly the best pass rusher in this draft before his off the field problems?? In an area this team has been woeful in recently as evident in the desperation signing of Hardy that most teams just stayed away from??...whom by the way may not even see the field until their 11th game if he loses his appeal....and even then, what type of player are you now getting that late in the season?? Lol

Newsflash dunce, just because you don't like a player that slides because of off the field problems and/or weight concerns, or this team doesn't pick him, or even when he slides into the 2nd round, doesn't automatically make him a bust. Football clueless?? You embody the meaning here....now crawl back into your hole hypocrite.

Last edited:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mocks are mocks- but I'm seeing Gregory fall to the 50s in most and even to us at 60. Who knows but I'm loving Jones

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet every single team passed on Gregory in the first round...how bout that...