• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buyer or Seller?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be wrong about this (Marco can clarify) but if Rodon opts out, don't we get a compensatory pick?
Not sure Marco is around any longer (why you eliminating alts, man?). I doubt that there is anything about getting compensated through the draft. The Giants chose to sign a player to a contract with an opt out clause. The only "additional" picks in the draft, to my knowledge, are the competitive balance draft picks and the Giants aren't getting one of those (unless they trade for one).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so apparently, if the QO system is still in place this offseason, the Giants could offer Rodon a QO once he opts out of his current contract. But it is very possible the QO system goes away once an international draft is agreed upon as that is one of the key components to that draft being implemented.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the chances this guy is a Giant by next Tuesday?

I think the 2 year window would be problematic for us. Wouldn't want to trade too much of anything for a gamble like that. If we were a sure contender next year ... it would be well worth it ... but we need a few more pieces than just Andujar. ... just can't put a handle on what to expect from management other than they will never do a complete teardown and rebuild.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 2 year window would be problematic for us. Wouldn't want to trade too much of anything for a gamble like that. If we were a sure contender next year ... it would be well worth it ... but we need a few more pieces than just Andujar. ... just can't put a handle on what to expect from management other than they will never do a complete teardown and rebuild.
Well, he's a possible threat with the bat, doesn't field well and is a versatile defender. Seems to check all the boxes for FZ's kind of player.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he's a possible threat with the bat, doesn't field well and is a versatile defender. Seems to check all the boxes for FZ's kind of player.
I have never understood the concept of “doesn't field well and is a versatile defender”.

“I can play anywhere, coach. But I will play like I have a paper bag over my head.”

”Great! We have another 2B!”

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never understood the concept of “doesn't field well and is a versatile defender”.

“I can play anywhere, coach. But I will play like I have a paper bag over my head.”

”Great! We have another 2B!”
Me neither but it still seems to help get the attention of teams. I guess playing multiple positions poorly is better than playing one position decently.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me neither but it still seems to help get the attention of teams. I guess playing multiple positions poorly is better than playing one position decently.
If you play the position badly, YOU DONT PLAY THE POSITION

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you do if you play multiple positions (see Ruf, Darin; Estrad, Thairo; Mercedes, Yermin; Flores, Wilmer, etc).
Right. And that’s what doesn’t make sense to me.

You would acquire Belt as a 1B/LFer and expect him to play LF. He played a bit of LF a few years ago as an experiment. But he never played the position to an acceptable level. But he played there.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. And that’s what doesn’t make sense to me.

You would acquire Belt as a 1B/LFer and expect him to play LF. He played a bit of LF a few years ago as an experiment. But he never played the position to an acceptable level. But he played there.
You are obviously out of touch with modern baseball.

In an unrelated note, I've heard FZ petitioned the commissioner's office to allow teams to have up to 9 DHs in the starting lineup and expand the active roster to 33, with the caveat that at least 10 of the players rostered have to be designated "middle infielders".

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Castillo got traded to the Mariners for 4 prospects. Two of those four are in the top 50 prospects list over at Baseball America (both in the 40s range) and a 3rd guy was in the Top 10 of the Mariners prospects. The 4th guy is fringe.

Yet, FZ is sitting tight on trading Rodon. :bored2:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Castillo got traded to the Mariners for 4 prospects. Two of those four are in the top 50 prospects list over at Baseball America (both in the 40s range) and a 3rd guy was in the Top 10 of the Mariners prospects. The 4th guy is fringe.

Yet, FZ is sitting tight on trading Rodon. :bored2:
And we gave up Castillo as part of a package to get Casey McGehee…