• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buyer or Seller?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Yaz, Wade and maybe Estrada, FZ has acquired bubkus. A whole truckload of nada. And it looks like Yaz and Wade may have been relative flash-in-the-pans. Yaz is an OK starting OF, but no way is he a guy should be your best OFer. Wade hasn’t shown jack this year. Early (for him due to injuries), but he came with absolutely zero pedigree, so the fall shouldn’t be surprising.
They are hitting about what I expected when they were acquired. Now I wonder how they all did what they did last year.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are hitting about what I expected when they were acquired. Now I wonder how they all did what they did last year.
This is why everything is so damn difficult to understand. Which year is the abhoration .... 2021 or 2022? Absolutely everything this team did in 2021 bordered on something akon to magic. Every move Lapler made ... worked. Sll of the. Even down to the pinch hitters. Some of the pinch hitter selections seemed supernatural.

2022 has neen very difficult to watch, talk about and predict. It would be easy to say 2021 was a complete outlier but very hard to explain 107 wins. No team is that lucky.

But ... deep down inside .... i think 2022 may be a more realistic model of this teams talents. 2021 was a great year for us fans .... but we are paying a heavy price here in 2022 ...

And where the hell is Pachy .... miss him on these boards ...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why everything is so damn difficult to understand. Which year is the abhoration .... 2021 or 2022? Absolutely everything this team did in 2021 bordered on something akon to magic. Every move Lapler made ... worked. Sll of the. Even down to the pinch hitters. Some of the pinch hitter selections seemed supernatural.

2022 has neen very difficult to watch, talk about and predict. It would be easy to say 2021 was a complete outlier but very hard to explain 107 wins. No team is that lucky.

But ... deep down inside .... i think 2022 may be a more realistic model of this teams talents. 2021 was a great year for us fans .... but we are paying a heavy price here in 2022 ...

And where the hell is Pachy .... miss him on these boards ...
I think cal and unintentionally drove him off. His last posts were on this thread - Worst Giants trades since 1990

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another issue that a trade won't likely fix is that of leadership. The veterans (Belt and Crawford) are often injured and haven't played well, and aren't fiery, determined, leader types. Kaplan jumped the shark this year and put divisive politics ahead of what's good for the team.

Gone are the days, and the types, of Bochy, Righetti, Posey, Bum, and Pence.
This is horseshit, and a passive aggressive political post. FOH with this.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest bats that are free agents after this season:

Aaron Judge, Trea Turner, Jose Abreu, JD Martinez

Would you be willing to give 30 yr old Judge an 8 year blockbuster deal? It's how it works for big names now.
hard pass.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Jays are rumored to be in the market to acquire a starting pitcher. I wonder what they would give up for Carlos Rodon?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Jays are rumored to be in the market to acquire a starting pitcher. I wonder what they would give up for Carlos Rodon?
I have no idea what the Jays system looks like, so I won’t offer any opinions there, but I begrudgingly support shopping Rodon. I would love to keep him around and use him as a building block, but the contract he signed never felt conducive to that. He came here with both sides expecting his stay to be short.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the Jays system looks like, so I won’t offer any opinions there, but I begrudgingly support shopping Rodon. I would love to keep him around and use him as a building block, but the contract he signed never felt conducive to that. He came here with both sides expecting his stay to be short.
If you were a pitcher of Rodon's caliber, you left a team that was on the cusp of being a potentially strong playoff contender and signed a 2 year deal with a team that just won 107 and were pitching well, do you think you'd be willing to waive your one year opt out and/or sign an extension with your new team when your new team looked much worse than the 107 wins from last year, despite your very strong performance?

See, I really would rather the Giants get something in return from his departure. And if the FO/ownership is serious about a long term deal, they can still negotiate with him when he opts out (unless, of course, the contending team that lands him gives him a sweetheart of a deal prior to the opt out).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were a pitcher of Rodon's caliber, you left a team that was on the cusp of being a potentially strong playoff contender and signed a 2 year deal with a team that just won 107 and were pitching well, do you think you'd be willing to waive your one year opt out and/or sign an extension with your new team when your new team looked much worse than the 107 wins from last year, despite your very strong performance?

See, I really would rather the Giants get something in return from his departure. And if the FO/ownership is serious about a long term deal, they can still negotiate with him when he opts out (unless, of course, the contending team that lands him gives him a sweetheart of a deal prior to the opt out).
If I were Rodon, I would want off this sinking ship ASAP. The defense behind him has been beyond atrocious and there doesn’t appear to be any real leadership in the clubhouse. He already has shown his displeasure with the team (understandably, btw).

He Gown.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Rodon, I would want off this sinking ship ASAP. The defense behind him has been beyond atrocious and there doesn’t appear to be any real leadership in the clubhouse. He already has shown his displeasure with the team (understandably, btw).

He Gown.
So let's get some players in return before he leaves of his own accord.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 game over .500 the weekend before the All Star break. Give them the first week after the break to see if they can pick it up. If not make everyone available for trades.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 game over .500 the weekend before the All Star break. Give them the first week after the break to see if they can pick it up. If not make everyone available for trades.
They have to get hot in the next 3 weeks or so to be a buyer. Hot = AT LEAST an 8-2 run and being 5 or 6 above .500.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to get hot in the next 3 weeks or so to be a buyer. Hot = AT LEAST an 8-2 run and being 5 or 6 above .500.

The only thing that worries me about a hot streak to start the second half is, is it for real or just smoke and mirrors. We’ve seen it before and watched from the outside come playoff time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that worries me about a hot streak to start the second half is, is it for real or just smoke and mirrors. We’ve seen it before and watched from the outside come playoff time.
That’s always the fear. I forget which year it was, but had that exact scenario in just the last few years. The team was NOT competitive, and SHOULD have been a seller. But they came out of the break really hot, so the team bought and nothing came of it. I think it was 2019?? I think it was Bum’s last year with us.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s always the fear. I forget which year it was, but had that exact scenario in just the last few years. The team was NOT competitive, and SHOULD have been a seller. But they came out of the break really hot, so the team bought and nothing came of it. I think it was 2019?? I think it was Bum’s last year with us.
I believe that was 2019. I was concerned that the same thing was going to happen in 2020 (I think it did).

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe FZ needs to start talking now and get some deals in the works ahead of time. Be proactive and get what he can out of those that will get the best in return. I wouldn’t mind so much if the team started playing the way they are knowing that they were working on the future rather then continue on the same path with no plan at all.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is horseshit, and a passive aggressive political post. FOH with this.
tzill, I love you like a brother, we've been through a lot, but nothing in this world confirms the veracity of my posts than when you disagree with me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tzill, I love you like a brother, we've been through a lot, but nothing in this world confirms the veracity of my posts than when you disagree with me.
Fair enough, brother.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep looking at the trade rumors circulating and think how frustrating it will be if the Giants don't at least make it known that Rodon and Pederson are available. They won't lack for interest.