• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buyer or Seller?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is rough to see Craw go from a serious MVP contender to a guy who, objectively, might be a guy who needs to be replaced at the deadline.

Losing Posey has been big. No question. But we also, in essence, lost Craw. He is a shell of himself this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is rough to see Craw go from a serious MVP contender to a guy who, objectively, might be a guy who needs to be replaced at the deadline.

Losing Posey has been big. No question. But we also, in essence, lost Craw. He is a shell of himself this year.
And you may disagree but Belt's performance has slipped considerably from last year (and he was more healthy last year than this year too).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you may disagree but Belt's performance has slipped considerably from last year (and he was more healthy last year than this year too).
Belt is never healthy. That's his biggest flaw

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt is never healthy. That's his biggest flaw
But he was healthier last year than this year and his production was better last year. I wonder if he'll retire after 2022. At some point he's going to say the constant injuries aren't worth the game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was healthier last year than this year and his production was better last year. I wonder if he'll retire after 2022. At some point he's going to say the constant injuries aren't worth the game.
I would kinda like to see him in another uniform. Can another org do something with him?

But that might be why he didn’t reup last year when Craw did. He may have told the org he is done and didn’t want to sign a BS contract.

Totally out of my ass. I haven’t heard anything that even remotely hints at this.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, will I be upset if the Giants buys! The only possible exception would be Soto but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. Either they give him way too much money and have nothing left to build a competitive team or they sell the farm and lose him after 2023. I concede it is possible that neither could happen but I'm leery that they could build a juggernaut around him.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to hope for at this point. Maybe just some piece of mind. Qhat I see from the team this year is really close to what I expected last year. I would have been very happy with an 81-81 season last year. They go and win 107 phucking games. Really messed up my expectations for this year. Similar teams. I know Posey was a loss .. but not 26 games worth.

I guess this is what happens when a team really overachives ... but doesn't have thecore talent to sustain it. There seems to be holes everywhere ... they show up at different times ... hitting leaves or relief pitching falters late in a game or the closer chokes ... or the SP gets linited 2 choices . Or any combination of these. It just suvks ....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the blow up yesterday, I think there is almost zero chance Rodon DOESNT get traded. On KNBR this morning, it is getting hinted at that Rodon isn’t the most popular in the clubhouse.

Just a thought, but maybe he isn’t liked because he wants to win and these guys are feeling him stare a hole in the back of their heads…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to hope for at this point. Maybe just some piece of mind. Qhat I see from the team this year is really close to what I expected last year. I would have been very happy with an 81-81 season last year. They go and win 107 phucking games. Really messed up my expectations for this year. Similar teams. I know Posey was a loss .. but not 26 games worth.

I guess this is what happens when a team really overachives ... but doesn't have thecore talent to sustain it. There seems to be holes everywhere ... they show up at different times ... hitting leaves or relief pitching falters late in a game or the closer chokes ... or the SP gets linited 2 choices . Or any combination of these. It just suvks ....
Just me spitballing here . . .

Buster Posey's WAR last year was 3.5. Casali's was 0.7 This year's group of catchers (Bart, Casali, Wynns) is at 0.9. Maybe it goes to 1.2 by the end of the season. That is a loss of 3 wins right there. Of course, Posey had an influence on the pitching staff but that is not considered in his WAR.

Last year, Belt's WAR was 2.7. So far, in 2022, he is at 0.5. Another two wins lost there.

Brandon Crawford's WAR went from 6.1 last year to -0.3 so far this year. Possibly six wins gone there!

Last year's starting rotation had a combined 17.7 WAR. This year's group is around 9.4 WAR. Even if this year's group increases by 2 through the end of the season, they still have 6 fewer wins that last year's group.

Then there is the bullpen. The 2021 bullpen posted a collective 9.8 WAR. This year's group has a 1.6 WAR so far. Let's be generous and say that this year's bullpen posts another 1.0 WAR to end 2022 at 2.6. That is still seven fewer wins than in 2021!
The returning bullpen group of McGee, Rogers, Garcia, Alvarez, Littell, Leone, Long, Santos, Castro, Brebbia, Beede and Doval had a 8.9 WAR in 2021. This year's group is currently at a 2.1 WAR. Most of that is coming from Brebbia (1.3 WAR) and Doval (1.0 WAR).

To summarize, just looking at the pitching staff, the team looks like it will get 13 fewer wins in 2022!
At catcher, the team has gotten 3 fewer wins there. (How much of these 16 fewer wins are because of Posey?)
At first base, the team has 2 fewer wins.
At shortstop, the team has 6 fewer wins.
This alone suggests that a 2021 squad that went 107-55 would go 83-79 in 2022 and that is not even looking at 2nd base, 3rd base and the outfield.

I realize that this is not close to precise but it gives an idea of why this team will win so many fewer games this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we be able get a similar package that we sent for Bryant in a Rodon deal (Canario and Kilian)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sell anyone that has value. asap.

Get draft picks and/or pitching prospects.
Can’t trade draft picks (basically…. But we don’t have any that are tradeable anyway).

I am never a fan of the tear down. We have seen what that feels like with the churn. But dealing Belt, Rodon, Flores, Joc all make sense. They are all essentially out the door anyway, and have some value (maybe not Belt, tbh). I wouldn’t be opposed to dealing Yaz either, but only if we actually get something back. No reason to just ship him out. Estrada, Craw, Longo, Bart, Slater, Gonzo, Webb, etc all have more value to us than anything we could possibly get back in a trade

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t trade draft picks (basically…. But we don’t have any that are tradeable anyway).

I am never a fan of the tear down. We have seen what that feels like with the churn. But dealing Belt, Rodon, Flores, Joc all make sense. They are all essentially out the door anyway, and have some value (maybe not Belt, tbh). I wouldn’t be opposed to dealing Yaz either, but only if we actually get something back. No reason to just ship him out. Estrada, Craw, Longo, Bart, Slater, Gonzo, Webb, etc all have more value to us than anything we could possibly get back in a trade
Since we are already in churn mode (will we ever not be in churn mode), might as well churn out the guys who have trade value.
I do agree in not trading the guys who have multiple years left of club control. However, I think a couple of the relievers who will be free agents after 2023 may be worth trading, if they can get some value in return. Don't just trade for the sake of trading (who knows, though, if FZ will get caught up in a trading frenzy).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we are already in churn mode (will we ever not be in churn mode), might as well churn out the guys who have trade value.
I do agree in not trading the guys who have multiple years left of club control. However, I think a couple of the relievers who will be free agents after 2023 may be worth trading, if they can get some value in return. Don't just trade for the sake of trading (who knows, though, if FZ will get caught up in a trading frenzy).
I don’t want to trade Doval, and to a lesser extent, Rogers. Outside of that, anyone can go. Varying degrees of expected returns, of course. I would be OK dealing Long, but I doubt he would fetch enough to make me happy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want to trade Doval, and to a lesser extent, Rogers. Outside of that, anyone can go. Varying degrees of expected returns, of course. I would be OK dealing Long, but I doubt he would fetch enough to make me happy.
Here is who I'm okay with trading from the bullpen:
Dominic Leone
John Brebbia
Jarlin Garcia

Also, it would be interesting to see if either Alex Cobb or Alex Wood could get any return on a trade.

I don't know what to think about Jakob Junis. He is a free agent after 2023 as well. Do we trade him while his value is high? If Rodon, Cobb and/or Wood are gone, we'll need somone to fill out the rotation. Maybe he should be traded before either of Cobb or Wood are dealt since he may get more in return.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is who I'm okay with trading from the bullpen:
Dominic Leone
John Brebbia
Jarlin Garcia

Also, it would be interesting to see if either Alex Cobb or Alex Wood could get any return on a trade.

I don't know what to think about Jakob Junis. He is a free agent after 2023 as well. Do we trade him while his value is high? If Rodon, Cobb and/or Wood are gone, we'll need somone to fill out the rotation. Maybe he should be traded before either of Cobb or Wood are dealt since he may get more in return.
If we do go full blowout mode, expect Harrison to get the call this year.